Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Brexit legal challenge suceeds. Discuss.

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Skipped said:
    axisus said:
    Could this lead to a Brentrance?
    I would want:
    Full tariff free access to Single Market
    Free movement
    Financial Passporting
    Customs Union
    Not in the Euro
    Not in Schengen.

Where would you get a deal like that?  s
    I would want Japanese whores on every street corner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Has anyone asked the EU what they want? No thought not. THey may not want us in their club anymore. A little known fact about A50 is ......

...they can trigger it .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    For those who can't be bothered to read the actual judgment- or more likely refuse to have their incorrect understanding of the case corrected...

At a basic Janet and John level, all the case has done is make the government accountable to parliament.

And in doing so confirmed the sovereignty of parliament.

Nothing more, nothing less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Evilmags said:
    Bunch of idiot lawyers thinking they have greater say than a majority referendum. Evil, democracy denying fuck wits seems about right. 
    You've already been proved wrong about that in the other thread.

By lawyers FOR the leaving side: in other words by your own side.

The super team of Queens Counsel paid for with no limits by the Treasury agreed during the trial that the courts were the proper place to resolve the argument.

If they thought there was even a 1% chance of arguing against the jurisdiction of the courts they would have done

Para 2: It is accepted by all sides.... etc.

Have a wis. I'm glad some are actually reading the judgment. The parties also agreed that an A50 notice is irrevocable and I think people are wrong to continue to focus on the revocability question. I suspect the government deliberately avoided using the 'notice is revocable' argument because they realised if they did so it would inevitably lead to a referral to the ECJ to opine on that question (of EU law) - a surreal and (for the government) politically intolerable outcome.

The implication of today's judgment is that the government must win on appeal to the Supreme Court or successfully get legislation through Parliament authorising them to send notice of withdrawal under Article 50. It's not inconceivable today's ruling will be overturned but it will require some serious mental gymnastics for the SC.

it seems quite possible the appeal will fail and we get stuck in parliamentary quagmire. None of this means Brexit will not happen and on balance I reckon it probably still will happen but the route to the exit door will be slower and more tortured.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 
    37% isn't "half the voting public".  (cue Brize)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 
    Again, representative democracy: it doesn't mean what you think it does.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Just get on with it FFS 
    The rule of law is such a pain in the ar5e right? Trump or Putin wouldn't put up with this sort of thing that's for sure.

Just get on with it FFS 
    Does it make any difference if I feel alienated by the half of the voting public who don't understand how democracy works? 

• Well it suits me as I votes against but can see why it would piss leave voters off.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 
    Does it make any difference if I feel alienated by the half of the voting public who don't understand how democracy works? 
    Are you in parliament? Can we see your high heeled boots?
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Are you in parliament? Can we see your high heeled boots?
    The only boots I'd wear in Parliament would be jackboots at the time of the glorious revolution. 

Nice to see 38 Degrees parking an email around today talking of the DIY Brexit. Basically they accept we shall leave and it's talking about how MPs could get involved in order to make Brexit truly about improving things for the British people. No moaning, no whining, looking to the future. 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    octatonic said:
    What is hilarious is *they* are equating this decision to mean that Parliament will circumvent triggering article 50 as though it is some liberal conspiracy.

Conspiracy is the key word. 

Dacre and the Mail in particular today have gone into full tin foil hat, 'they're out ta get me', woo-woo mode. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    I saw that.

Full attack on the judges personally with hardly a mention of the judgment itself.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72612
    Feeling cheated for not getting their own way... now where have we heard that accusation before?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Here is the full judgment.

It is careful and considered.

There is nothing subversive or against democracy in it at all

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2016/2768.html&query=(Gina)+AND+(Miller)

In fairness the main guy who funded the campaign to leave has no problem with it. It's not political. He's told May to abandon her appeal and get on with working with parliament. The only people whinging are the Tories who didn't do enough due diligence on their promises.

Labour are supporting Brexit but what will now happen is a divergence of views - Labour and the SNP will want access to the single market at all cost, passporting, would be happy with free movement and will want to keep most of the EU laws etc. The Tories will want to control immigration, repeal EU labour laws and will take it or leave it with the single market. No agreement - no vote. A general election next year may be the only solution. How to make your country a laughing stock in one easy lesson.

Cameron has a lot to answer for ... he's now officially my worst PM ever for getting us into this mess.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Here is the full judgment.

It is careful and considered.

There is nothing subversive or against democracy in it at all

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2016/2768.html&query=(Gina)+AND+(Miller)

In fairness the main guy who funded the campaign to leave has no problem with it. It's not political. He's told May to abandon her appeal and get on with working with parliament. The only people whinging are the Tories who didn't do enough due diligence on their promises.

Labour are supporting Brexit but what will now happen is a divergence of views - Labour and the SNP will want access to the single market at all cost, passporting, would be happy with free movement and will want to keep most of the EU laws etc. The Tories will want to control immigration, repeal EU labour laws and will take it or leave it with the single market. No agreement - no vote. A general election next year may be the only solution. How to make your country a laughing stock in one easy lesson.

Cameron has a lot to answer for ... he's now officially my worst PM ever for getting us into this mess.
    @fretwired Shame there's only one wis I can give for that.

That was exactly my thought when I heard a radio station read out increasingly vituperative texts about remain/ leave this morning.

As we speak that bastard Cameron is probably hard at work on his memoirs and sounding out scriptwirters for his forthcoming tour of US campuses and business meetings. He's walked away laughing all the way to the bank,  the prick.

What a bloody mess.

And in no way has this put the argument to bed on the Tory benches. I tell you, the ghost of Enoch Powell stalks this country and Parliament at the moment. I'm not just talking about febrile community tensions either. I'm talking about the scorched earth logic that's taken hold in the minds of many. The Headbangers like Redwood, Hannan et al will never rest now.
  • Limehouse_BluesLimehouse_Blues Frets: 1160
    edited November 2016
    Fretwired said:

Absolutely. Historians will not be kind to him and nor should they be. The guy is so lacking in self awareness he's probably still convinced he did the right thing by running the referendum. The U.K. Is seriously diminished by this entire saga. Newspaper attacks on the judges today are disgraceful and redolent of tin pot dictatorship, not the cradle of parliamentary democracy. The awful thing is that many of these newspaper editors are by no means ignorant of the U.K's history and its constitutional norms. I imagine that they do know better but that they set that set that knowledge aside to rail against judges demonstrates how truly mendacious they are.

Likewise guys like Rees Mogg and Kwarteng. Although neither is a lawyer you would have thought that the levels of education these sons of privilege have enjoyed should not have desensitized them to such central concepts as the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament and the separation of powers. Clever people who are prepared to play fast and loose with constitutional norms born of centuries of struggle (and no small amount of bloodshed in the seventeenth century) are extremely dangerous.

On yesterday's decision I'd love to see the advice the government got before the referendum and during the passage of the legislation enabling the referendum. If you go back through Hansard you can see that Salmond asked a very probing question on whether the government thought a vote in Parliament would be needed prior to giving notice under A50. Now I can't stand Salmond but credit to him for having the foresight to perceive the risks and weaknesses of legislating for a purely advisory referendum while giving the voting public the impression it would have binding effect. At first the Secretary of State equivocated in response to Salmond but came back later in the debate (intra day) affirming that legal advice confirmed no vote would be necessary. So much for that advice. Does it even exist? I'm sceptical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
     ICBM said:
    Feeling cheated for not getting their own way... now where have we heard that accusation before?
    =)  ICBM if you were a woman I'd...

...well, you'd be too good for me.