Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Brexit legal challenge suceeds. Discuss.

What's Hot

Comments

•  democracy is a loaded dice.

far from perfect.

the problem is not the EU issuing laws that protect workers and human rights.

it's letting loose people who will rip them laws up and treat people like slaves, just to make a little more profit for their own greedy ends.

that's may be ok if they are the beneficiary and have no care for any one but themselves.

I doubt if they like being treated like shit themselves  though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    To be honest I voted leave and I kind of expected this to go to parliament anyway?

But I see the smugness is still strong. The remain circlejerk has intensified.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
    To be honest I voted leave and I kind of expected this to go to parliament anyway?

But I see the smugness is still strong. The remain circlejerk has intensified.
    I think there's only smugness/amusement at the "idiot" part of the Leave camp - the ones who seem to think that yesterday's decision is an affront to democracy and the sovereignty of these sacred isles, when in fact it's simply what should happen, and what everybody expected to happen anyway.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Hey, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box....but are you calling me an idiot?

:)
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think he's calling you a bell end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Or maybe I am!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Or maybe I am!
    Yes. You are.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuck me.

Your always lurking.

Fuck me.

Your always lurking.

I will not fuck you.

And you're.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    Fretwired said:
    Fair enough. I thought it needed the agreement of all the states, but canning the process half way through isn't actually mentioned in A50 itself:

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-european-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

That means it's kind of open to interpretation and could go one of two ways - either the author is right, and everybody walks away with a scowl on their faces but we're all cool, or the EU decide to make an example of us and draw out discussions on what to do until the 2 years is up and we're out on our ass.

Let's face it, it's not in the EU's best interests to make it easy for states to change their minds, otherwise everyone's going to be chucking in their A50 notices in order to get a better deal than everyone else.
    The guy making the claim wrote the clause so I guess he knows what he's talking about.  Your link is just a high level summary. It's probably buried deep in a zillion page document.
    it was covered in the news a little bit before the vote, but no one was much interested
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

Labour have said they are up for it so it looks like game on.
    Maybe they think that an electoral disaster would help them get rid of Corbyn…

Much as I agree with a lot of his ideas and policies, I just can't see him being taken seriously as a potential PM, and I think it's highly unlikely that the result of an election would be anything other than a bigger Tory majority - although I now think the Lib Dems might do slightly better than last time.

doesn't a quicker election  give the Corbynistas less time to  deselect everyone when the boundaries change?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    The best argument I have heard so far stated that why then was not the Lisbon Treaty equally voted on and scruitinised by both chambers...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The best argument I have heard so far stated that why then was not the Lisbon Treaty equally voted on and scruitinised by both chambers...?
    Have you checked that that argument is actually true?

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    thebreeze said:
    Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 
    37% isn't "half the voting public".  (cue Brize)
    You're quite right - it's not half the voting public. Half the voting public is 50% of the people who voted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2016

You're stupid

If you seriously believe we don't have sovereignty while we're still members of the EU, you don't understand how any of this works.

With respect @digitalscream I think you'll find @Sambostar is quite correct. I get the impression that you don't understand how the EU works .. ;-)

In order for the EU to have power and sovereignty, the member states have given up much of their sovereign-power. The EU runs on the concept of pooled or shared sovereignty. The member states are still sovereign in certain areas, but have ceded sovereignty to Brussels in many. This will continue - one area on the table for discussion right now is tax. The EU wants a harmonised tax system across the EU. The EU has its own Charter of Fundamental Rights which is different from the European Convention on Human Rights - not many people know this exists.

So we cannot stop people from the EU coming to the UK to find work, study or live, we cannot remove VAT the government can give state aid to Port Talbot and we are bound by EU rules in areas like employment law.

Parliament can be said to have given up some of its sovereignty when it passed the European Communities Act 1972, enabling the UK to join what was then the European Economic Community, at the beginning of 1973, and requiring courts in the UK to apply EU law.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Basically there are two things that need to change...

Our EU membership
    AND our government

REMOANING CUNTBADGERS act like LEAVETARD CHILD RAPISTS only want the former.

Seems like they want the second as well to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Brize said:
    thebreeze said:
    Does parliament really want to further alienate half the voting public who want Brexit by prolonging the inevitable?

Just get on with it FFS 
    37% isn't "half the voting public".  (cue Brize)
    You're quite right - it's not half the voting public. Half the voting public is 50% of the people who voted.
    In fact we're both wrong when I look at it more closely - half the voting public who want Brexit would be 18.5%.

• Drew_TNBD said:

Our EU membership
    AND our government

Your going to have a stroke...

take your finger out of your arse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

Our EU membership
    AND our government

Your going to have a stroke...

take your finger out of your arse.

But it feels nice. And you lefty types are all about feelings right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom