Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps That 'Bloom' - Which To Buy ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
Ok, as most of you know, I've tried a lot of amps.

I currently own a Carr Rambler and a Lazy J20 with extension cab.

The sound that I am after is from an amp that 'blooms'; now, what do I mean by that ?

It is the sound of an amp that is maybe slightly clipped, with harmonic overtones, almost (almost) suggesting feedback.

For example, this Redplate clip below at exactly 10.52 onwards. It is also heard throughout (5.46 onwards);

I have definately heard this in a Redplate, and maybe the Mesa King Snake.

Is it the Dumble thing ? Does an effects loop cause this ? Are these amps almost compression free ?

Over to your thoughts and wisdom folks :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marshall MG 15
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited December 2016
    Louis Electric KR12 actually has a 'Bloom' knob on. There's one in the classifieds now

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91252/louis-electric-kr12#latest
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Im after those natural 'blooms', which just do not come from a pedal, and only from the amp.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im after those natural 'blooms', which just do not come from a pedal, and only from the amp.

Yep that'll be it check it out. Amazing amps
  • I'd suggest there's quite a lot of gain in the there and he's sitting virtually on top of the amp - so harmonics seem to start feeding back pretty easily. 

The overall character reminds me of the Fuch ODS I once played - which is very much in Dumble territory.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2935
    Try TGP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • i'm not i know what you mean by bloom - on the clip you posted it just sounds loud and very close to the guy sat on it, hence it wants to feedback when not being played.
    Is it something more specific tonally, or just that feeling of it being right on the edge ?

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    edited December 2016
    Victory V40 with a good drive pedal, both turned up loud. It's just a strong midrange sound with the guitar close to amp feedback

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7500
    edited December 2016
    i'm not i know what you mean by bloom - on the clip you posted it just sounds loud and very close to the guy sat on it, hence it wants to feedback when not being played.
    Is it something more specific tonally, or just that feeling of it being right on the edge ?

Yes, all of this - that's a moderately loud amp right next to the guitar send you're hearing feedback. 

Bloom was described technically by someone on tgp and it's a function of an amp. 

If I remember correctly, and I may not, it comes from a valve or valve emulating rectifier under particular conditions where it sags quite heavily. If you've maxed out a jtm45, you'll know this - it's really annoying unless you want it there  

So basically, if you want what's in the video, I think you need soundproofing and ear plugs. Find an amp you like and, get close and turn it up with some gain. In my opinion, of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As an aside, that amp sounds a bit like a boogie to me. I wonder if dumble amps have anything in common? 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    Ever tried a  hollow body Suhr or Tom Anderson with a  50w or 100W  clean amp turned up loud?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    try to find 2 compatible opinions on the definition of bloom:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/describe-amp-bloom.369114/

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited December 2016
    As an aside, that amp sounds a bit like a boogie to me. I wonder if dumble amps have anything in common?
    Yes - up to the MkIV, the 'lead' channel was a further cascaded gain stage which was switched in.

The Dumble OBS was exactly the same. Several Two Rocks operate in the same way.

• So basically, if you want what's in the video, I think you need soundproofing and ear plugs. Find an amp you like and, get close and turn it up with some gain. In my opinion, of course. 
    I get your meaning, but the point for me is that the amp needs to produce this at 'realistic' volume levels
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Fuchs Four Aces did that bloom in to feedback thing. Got to that point quicker and with less gain than any other amp I've played. No idea why though which isn't much help!
  • Amp Bloom = Emperors new clothes 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
    edited December 2016
    Amp Bloom = Emperors new clothes 
    No mate, Ive got to say your wrong - unless I have my terminology wrong !! 

I have definitely  felt and heard this in some amps ive tried, and not others.

I'm with you @Wazmeister well at least I've experienced it. Quite recently in fact 

I'm with you @Wazmeister well at least I've experienced it. Quite recently in fact 
    On which amp mate ?

On which amp mate ?
    Louis Electric in my case it was the Buster.