Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps That 'Bloom' - Which To Buy ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Funnily enough, my new favourite compressor, Melos Minicomp, does the bloom thing brilliantly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2255
    I think it's a combo of gain and volume. If the volume is too low you dont get on the edge of feedback. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

dont look at the video the guy's o face is unwatchable. However listen to the sound. 

now listen to this one and with the master lowered the amp doesnt feedback. Fast forward to the black les paul. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Check out Two Rock.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Blues Cube Artist
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    edited December 2016
    Ps. Love the tone in this clip. Incredible.

• Amps with a decent amount of sag or natural compression do this - the Louis Electrics, Bad Cat Black Cats and Cubs etc. As pointed out, the Louis Electric KR12 actually has a control for it.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    edited December 2016
    Warren the bloom thing is present in most all valve amps when cranked really loud, there is usually a sonic connection (apologies grandmother and sucking eggs!). However certain amps do not rely on the sonic connection. Dumble discovered how to create this and some builders know how to replicate it and don't divulge the secrets. HAD certainly isn't giving up the info.

Robben Ford Blue Line era sound is what everyone thinks a Dumble does, but so many of them were different. This is a clip of a #102 clone does the bloom  into feedback almost at will.

There was a very long thread on TAG relating to one amp where the internals were able to bloom and feedback at will.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=feedback&start=0

I don't believe they got to the bottom of it, but there are certain conditions of lead dress inside the amp that create and aid this behaviour. And at one point the guy with the amp (Tony Albany of VVT) could stand OUTSIDE the room with the amp in and still get it to bloom and feedback.

Now if thats what you're after you're going to have a hard time finding it. There are very few amp builders who know how to get that without having to have ear damaging volumes. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • just buy a Hiwatt man

Sa212 or a DR103 with a fane filled cab 

(you are welcome to try mine if you wish)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    Amps with a decent amount of sag or natural compression do this - the Louis Electrics, Bad Cat Black Cats and Cubs etc. As pointed out, the Louis Electric KR12 actually has a control for it.
    You're welcome to my KR12! 

It's in the classifieds, as mentioned earlier in the thread....
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2372
    As an aside, that amp sounds a bit like a boogie to me. I wonder if dumble amps have anything in common? 

Well they cost a similar amount of money, at least this side of the Atlantic... :D
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    slacker said:

dont look at the video the guy's o face is unwatchable. However listen to the sound. 

What are you talking about?
    His gurning was the best thing about the video. =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    slacker said:

Jesus, what does he think he's actually DOING?!
  • Sassafras said:
    slacker said:

Jesus, what does he think he's actually DOING?!

WHAT THE MERRY FUCKTITS IS HE DOING?? I'd hate to see his cum face. It's probably that though. And sustained. What an absolute twatmonger.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited December 2016
    Bit awkward feeling viewing that video. He must regret making that demo
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit awkward feeling viewing that video. He must regret making that demo

What's awkward will be the moment when has to get up from his stool and hide the gallon of cock-yoghurt he's just expelled into his Y-fronts at the orgasmic pleasure he takes from his sustaaaain.

He puts the "stain" in "sustain".

He's probably reading this now.

If you are, mate, I'm sorry....

....but when you're playing, wear a MASK.

11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7578
    Ok, as most of you know, I've tried a lot of amps.

I currently own a Carr Rambler and a Lazy J20 with extension cab.

The sound that I am after is from an amp that 'blooms'; now, what do I mean by that ?

It is the sound of an amp that is maybe slightly clipped, with harmonic overtones, almost (almost) suggesting feedback.

For example, this Redplate clip below at exactly 10.52 onwards. It is also heard throughout (5.46 onwards);

I have definately heard this in a Redplate, and maybe the Mesa King Snake.

Is it the Dumble thing ? Does an effects loop cause this ? Are these amps almost compression free ?

Over to your thoughts and wisdom folks :)
    If I'm understanding what you mean correctly - go check out some Trainwreck (and some clones) videos 
    Red ones are better. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752

....but when you're playing, wear a MASK.

And stop shaking your head like your disagreeing with yourself. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the jam at the start of this has some very tasty natural feedback moments, is this bloom ?

To the many posters who have been awarded lols and wisdom and for using the description cock yoghurt-I told you not to look. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom