Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps That 'Bloom' - Which To Buy ?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    Blooming hell, that's what I like. OP needs to buy my Louis Electric KR12...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    shaunm said:
    Which players get the Bloom sound?
    Robbed Ford & Larry Carlton are the obvious ones - both Dumble users for large parts of their careers.
    @richardhomer I have only noticed the feedback thing mentioned in this thread from Robben when he played a 335. The rest of the time I don't notice much in the way of feedback. 

Would Matt Schofield fall into the "getting bloom" category?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    shaunm said:
      I have only noticed the feedback thing mentioned in this thread from Robben when he played a 335. The rest of the time I don't notice much in the way of feedback. 

Robben got it with his Fender Elite too.

Matt Schofileld, no.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Maybe a Redplate RP50 might do the trick  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    shaunm said:
      I have only noticed the feedback thing mentioned in this thread from Robben when he played a 335. The rest of the time I don't notice much in the way of feedback. 

Matt Schofileld, no.
    So it's not down to just the amp then. A combination of amp and semi style guitar is needed?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited December 2016
    shaunm said:
    hywelg said:
    shaunm said:

Matt Schofileld, no.
    So it's not down to just the amp then. A combination of amp and semi style guitar is needed?
    At reasonable volume, a solid guitar does it with a Dumble style amp (I tried a Fuchs ODS with a Suhr Strat-style guitar with a humbucker at the bridge).

As I said earlier in the thread, I think what's happening is harmonics are starting to feedback - but as someone else said, these type of amps seem to do this without needing to max-out the gain. With a compressor, they often drop the initial transient down too far and the sound appears to swell, as the circuit recovers and allows more signal through; Dumble ODS-style amps seem to exhibit the same characteristic.

I've no idea on a techinical level how this is accomplished - but my guess is cascading gain stages, none of which are driven too hard - so the signal's transients are softened but not to the point of creating massive distortion.

There are plenty of people on here who understand the topology of amps - I'm sure one of them would be able to explain the physics involved.
    I'm totally new to the bloom concept, I've never thought about it really. 

There must be something in it though as certain amps do have a characteristic feedback. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    My Redplate in particular when played live verges on feedback...but nice feedback and some times can get out of control so i need to use the volume on the guitar quite a bit ....its 40 watts and i usually use just from back line for smaller rooms....i can get a similar sound at bedroom volumes but its easier to control

Lately iv been using it with the Deeflexx and the sound is really good ...it will fill the room with no beaming .... its a expensive piece of plastic but highly recomended... you will be heard by everybody crystal clear ...even the drummer regardless of where the speaker is pointed
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I have shared this a couple times, it is a dog of an amp internally and a cheap squire guitar and actually not very loud.
    6V6 cathode baised, low plate voltage, ac30 top boost type pre amp with extra mids
    To be fair I can get this with most decent quality amps.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Iv just found a short clip of my Redplate CDS2
    That and a strat...its bedroom level..i think the CDS2 has more of the rock type of sound 

• This whole thing reminds me of the episode of Mad Men where they come up with the slogan "Lucky Strike: It's Toasted"

"But ALL cigarettes are toasted"

"Yes. But you're the only ones that say so"

I think it's a particularly good bit of marketing from Redplate, frankly, but the whole "it's not compression, it's note bloom" he comes out with is BS, to be honest. Redplate amps DO compress a fair chunk - play some choppy rhythm on the bridge pickup of a tele through one and you'll hear that immediately - and that's where the alleged "bloom" is coming from in the first place.

They don't bloom any more than any number of other amps - and I say that as someone who gigged two different Redplates for a while alongside my J20. Nice enough amps, but no particular magic there that you won't get from any number of others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rooms bloom. It's all in the room. Well, maybe not all. But a lot. The same amp can sound so different in different rooms.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    FWIW My Two Rock does the whole sag and "bloom" thing. It's valve rectified.
    The feel of that amplifier is something unlike anything I've ever played through. 
    Its a glorious piece of work. 
    One of my very favourite amplifiers I've ever owned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    shaunm said:
    Which players get the Bloom sound?
    Mike Bloom. 
  • Man, I hope my next amp sounds as aggressive as some of these threads !!  :)

Im happy to use stupid terms in the search for snake-oil amp bliss ;)

A belated "wisdom" for this.
  • Bloom -  shake shake shake the room
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom