Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps That 'Bloom' - Which To Buy ?

What's Hot

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    As an alternative approach, why not find a player based in the uk who has the tone which you like and exhibits 'bloom', pay for a couple of hours of his time, pack some of the lovely amps you already own into your car and get him to see how close he can get with your gear. He can also look at your technique to see if you can make some adjustments to help get the tone you are after. 

Honestly, i think it will be cheaper and give far more significant results than buying new amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mesa Lonestar does it. Or if you can find one an old Fender Prosonic. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:
    As an alternative approach, why not find a player based in the uk who has the tone which you like and exhibits 'bloom', pay for a couple of hours of his time, pack some of the lovely amps you already own into your car and get him to see how close he can get with your gear. He can also look at your technique to see if you can make some adjustments to help get the tone you are after. 

Honestly, i think it will be cheaper and give far more significant results than buying new amp.
    Or, alternatively...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/IMG_0012_1.jpg
  • Nice @Wazmeister . Did you or are you getting one?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    That could work too ;-) Nice!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

@Nerine I was actually right with you up until you tried to get me to listen to Nickelback (you little tinker you).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

@Nerine I was actually right with you up until you tried to get me to listen to Nickelback (you little tinker you).

I went to see Nickleback recently. £120 a ticket and felt a little duped. Just not my thing really I guess. The things we do for our kids – my son liked them at one stage but changed his mind after I bought the tickets :( Anyway didn't mean to derail the thread but just wanted to share 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Nice @Wazmeister . Did you or are you getting one?
    There may be one on the way...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    I'm a Nickelback fan, to be fair. Being an engineer I use a lot of their records to reference from. 
    I also went to see them at the Nottingham Motorpoint in November. They were immensely good. £38 per ticket. 

Back to bloom... 

Most recognise it as the sag in a power section. According to TGP anyway. And we all know that that is the authoritative tome of tone. 

So yeah. Compression. 

The stunted note attack of a cooking amp, where the power supply has to "catch up". 
    Cathode biased amps tend to be most prone to it. Apparently. 

The Schofield/Two Rock clip where feedback is being coaxed quite easily; that's volume, a hollowbody guitar and close proximity to the amp. Very easy to achieve. 

Having said that, I know that on my Diezel, the preamp can also sound as if it's sagging a little bit even if you haven't got the master wound up. But that has evil levels of gain. 

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    As per @Nerine's definition, I also perceive this as a compression effect, fast attack slow release so that the note "builds". 
    The problem with the term of compression in this case, and particularly when gain is involved (valves clipping - compressing) is that sound artifacts can be squashed.
    Whereas what I think we refer to here implies that at a given compression (gain) set point, good notes are enriched and "blossom" further during their duration; no squashing or unpleasant artifacts.
    Unless builders  managed to build a stripped down compressor in the signal chain and make amps "bloom"..

I've witnessed this live in other people's playing and I always concluded it was a matter of:
    -tone in the hands-picking how and where etc (corny I know)
    -Guitar set-up and overall quality of the gtr
    -Player's ability & experience in dialing their gear in

I remember a teacher of mine who used to amaze me with his tone because he always manage to sound "bloomy"
    He picked near the board and somehow fretted in a certain fashion which I couldn't understand..

So, op, maybe it's not so much the amp (tho a good one helps) but everything before it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mesa Lonestar does it.
    The Classic might - I pretty sure my Special doesn't....
  • Carr Impala?

20 seconds in -ish and onwards?

Otherwise Two Rock Studio Pro 35, with the rear master turned up some. 

• There is something in this that differentiates amps. My Fuchs would go in to feedback with a lot less gain and volume then any of my other amps, even when using the same guitar and cab.
    I'd be interested in finding out why as it was great fun
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    There is something in this that differentiates amps. My Fuchs would go in to feedback with a lot less gain and volume then any of my other amps, even when using the same guitar and cab.
    I'd be interested in finding out why as it was great fun
    Cos even though it was a pcb amp it was basically a Dumble. Don't know which Dumble Andy Fuchs copied but I think he had been inside more than one. He knows a heck of a lot about them. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Which players get the Bloom sound?
  • shaunm said:
    Which players get the Bloom sound?
    Robbed Ford & Larry Carlton are the obvious ones - both Dumble users for large parts of their careers.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I reckon it's all down to the Telecaster.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I think you need to settle down with an amp now. Stop playing the field so much. Stop swiping right on everything. 
  • Adamski said:
    I think you need to settle down with an amp now. Stop playing the field so much. Stop swiping right on everything. 
    You sound like my wife.... or my Mom ! 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853

plenty of bloom/s on this one . . .

httpsgbmediaazureedgenetusercontentgear3356368p1_uk4hsyxus_ssjpgmaxheight500maxwidth500

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom