2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17653
    tFB Trader
    First race tomorrow :)

10k done in 51:55 which is a PB and was 80th of about 300 runners. 

Pleased with that. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congratulations to all Sunday racers!

I'm going to try 5 miles again today. If it still feels like a lot then I'll try scaling back to 3 mile runs and possibly get a physical done. There are a couple of hereditary issues I need to check out like low heart rate / murmur and associated blood pressure irregularities.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Good job to all that raced yesterday. 

Was in the Mumbles at the weekend in Wales, with some friends. One of them is running the Cheltenham Half on Sunday, so a group of us got motivated enough to go out for an early 4 miles on Saturday morning. Was hard work, as it's a bit hilly round there, but thoroughly enjoyable and some great scenery to take in. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    edited September 2017
    25th Aug: 1058km + 5km = 1063km.

If I keep going the way I am then I will achieve my goal 2 months ahead of schedule, which is a pretty nice feeling.
  • 5 miles today.
  • I just bought some interesting shoes from SportPursuit. I have decided that I want to go back to a little bit of cushioning, and I remember the Inov-8 F-Lite 230 served me well. I was going to go for some Inov-8 F-Lite 195, but saw the Asics "33-DFA 2" on SportPursuit for £45 so thought I would give them a go. They're a bit heavy for a minimal shoe, the drop is 4mm and stack height about 10mm in the toe. The insole has some arch support so I took that out and it feels OK. I think this will be a good choice if I want to attempt anything longer than a half marathon.
  • A curious design choice - despite the 4mm drop and the obvious encouragement to forefoot-strike, the rubber on the heel is obviously less grippy and almost certainly denser and more hard-wearing than the rubber on the forefoot. So they're still expecting people to heel-strike in these, it would seem. Ouch!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3923
    +4km +4km = 395km
    26th Aug: 1063km + 12km = 1075km.
    27th Aug: 1075km + 5km = 1080km.
    28th Aug: 1080km + 5km = 1085km.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3923
    +4km = 399km
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Nightmare race last weekend.  My ankle played up and had to slow down to keep moving. Annoyingly everything else was fine - legs, nutrition, hyrdration and felt good. Decided to carry on at 8 miles in and just ignore the ankle. Missed the cut off by 2 minutes and got DQd at mile 48 after running 8000 feet of hills up and 7000 feet of downs.  A bit pissed as you can imagine. Was feeling good at this point and looking forward to a good 2nd half.  Oh well, onwards to next race.

=1274miles/2050km
  • That wasn't in the Cotswolds, was it @mcsdan ? Or if not Cotswolds then a 102 mile race, "something" century? If so then a colleague did it and stopped at 70-odd miles as he convinced himself that he would miss the next cut-off. He doesn't seem too fazed by DNFs, in fact I'm not sure if he has completed a long ultra yet.

Another colleague has actually started winning ultras, and is heading over to Greece for the Spartathlon any day now! Nuts! :)

I did 5 miles yesterday around the quarry, and was just happy to complete it. I'm still slower than I was, and my legs seem to get lactic a lot easier, but I'm on the way back I think.
    Signed up to the Cotswold Middle Distance (half iron man) triathlon next June. No turning back now! 
    @fields5069 ; yes cotswold way. My 4th 100 miler in 11 months. Annoyed since I was pacing it well and felt good. Obviously not fast enough and the last 6 hours in the dark and having to navigate didn't help. Probably lost 40 mins at least there. Some very confusing signs in the dark. Onwards to next race in Feb.

Good to hear you are on the way back :-)
    It staggers me how you guys can do that sort of distance.
    I simply don't understand how you can do it.
    12km and I am wrecked the next day.
    octatonic said:
    It staggers me how you guys can do that sort of distance.
    I simply don't understand how you can do it.
    12km and I am wrecked the next day.
    My thoughts exactly. 
    29th Aug: 1085km + 8km = 1093km.
    It's what you train and adapt the body to. After that, as the saying goes, it's 90% mental and the rest is in your head.

The hardest part of training is recovery and not getting injured.  For this run I did lots of long runs. One weekend was a 36 miler on Saturday followed by 39 on the Sunday. All off road. Other weeks I did shorter but faster 18-22 miles and a few 30-35 milers thrown in with lots of elevation.  Rest of the week is hills repeats, intervals (400m, 800m, fartleks) and easy runs.  A down week was around 40 miles and highest week was 96 miles. I also did strength training too - initially a strength building phase with heavy squats, deadlifts, bench and rows. As the miles grew I reduced down the strength to body weight exercises twice a week to maintain strength.

So as you can see, alot of training and the rest is just dealing with it mentally. The body is quite amazing if you give it a chance and keep going.

• 860 +15 =875. 
    I've accepted that I'll not manage 100k this month (as I'm not going to attempt 25k today!) 
  • @mcsdan you make it sound so easy! ;)

A couple of months back, I was almost back to decent mileage, for me at least. I think I possibly ramped up too quickly. The test for me and longer distances is whether I can stomach training for a 20-miler in March/April next year. I have the t-shirt from it, but the year I was ready for it was the year that 1 inch of snow fell on Merthyr and turned to ice, hence it was called off as they didn't have time to clear the Taff Trail before the race. Doh. That year I was doing 17-milers in training. If I can get back up to that then I'll be happy that I've taken the "next step". There isn't too much mental struggle in that distance, for me.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the type to take to the gym, although I did 6 months once when Canons first opened in Green Park in Reading. I loved the rowing, and was less keen on the weight machines, but the experience helped me to lose around 10% body weight, so all good. I may look into a gym now though, if I can find a cheap 24-hour job. It'll be quiet at 5:30 hopefully, and it'll still leave me lunchtime to go out for a steady run. I found running with a colleague was much better for me as I had to slow down to conversational pace, which they say the majority of base miles should be run at, if you don't want to get into the HR zone malarkey.