2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• I did the Walchsee half marathon last week in 2 hours 9 minutes. I had hoped for a slightly faster time - under 2 hours would have been cool - but it was one of these days where I told my legs to run faster and they just said "no".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    5 miles yesterday lunchtime. I ran with a cold, and physically felt OK.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    My colleague finished Spartathlon in 33 hours and something. The winner did it in 22 hours!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    My colleague finished Spartathlon in 33 hours and something. The winner did it in 22 hours!
    fecking hell! 

5km yesterday and Sunday. 

Wanted to do "Runtober" and run 5km every day in October. This is now not happening. Was in agony for my whole run last night pretty much and can barely walk this morning :( 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3923
    +4km + 4km = 407km
    +5km = 412km
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Still have a problem with my heel so not been running much last couple of weeks. However I'm coaching a group to run their first ultramarathon - 30 miles - end of October so have gone out with them each Sunday otherwise they panic!! 10 miles last Sunday and a 20 miler this morning. That's their final long run and I always coach the final run to put all the coaching together.  Fantastic result for them and they are all confident now. 

=1304.5 miles/2099km
    @mcsdan you make it sound so easy! ;)

A couple of months back, I was almost back to decent mileage, for me at least. I think I possibly ramped up too quickly. The test for me and longer distances is whether I can stomach training for a 20-miler in March/April next year. I have the t-shirt from it, but the year I was ready for it was the year that 1 inch of snow fell on Merthyr and turned to ice, hence it was called off as they didn't have time to clear the Taff Trail before the race. Doh. That year I was doing 17-milers in training. If I can get back up to that then I'll be happy that I've taken the "next step". There isn't too much mental struggle in that distance, for me.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the type to take to the gym, although I did 6 months once when Canons first opened in Green Park in Reading. I loved the rowing, and was less keen on the weight machines, but the experience helped me to lose around 10% body weight, so all good. I may look into a gym now though, if I can find a cheap 24-hour job. It'll be quiet at 5:30 hopefully, and it'll still leave me lunchtime to go out for a steady run. I found running with a colleague was much better for me as I had to slow down to conversational pace, which they say the majority of base miles should be run at, if you don't want to get into the HR zone malarkey.
    @fields5069 ;
    Sounds good. Thats the key is to slow it down a bit and be careful with the next run after a long one. I don't mind the gym stuff since it has a purpose and I have my own routine that is running specific rather than "gym body". For a few months I had to use my local gym whilst I was decorating the house since all the furniture etc was moved into the garage where my own gym is.  I've just finally cleared everything so back in my own space again complete with an old TV and some music. Much better since it is cheaper(free) and I can just do it when it fits in.

TBH you can do alot at home with just a few resistance bands etc. Let me know if you want some ideas. Just a case of activating the right muscles e.g. glutes, hips, hams etc which are often over looked.
    Thanks. I think for the moment I'll concentrate on increasing miles slowly, although I may end up in the gym.

Parkrun on Saturday and 5 miles this lunchtime.
    6.2 miles trail on Wednesday, 4.6 miles road today after gym strength session.

=1315m/2116km
    I've been running, slow but steady. This week I'm going back up to 4 runs per week.
    excellent :-)
    Had a week off last week as I was working away (crap excuse!). This weeks combined totals:
    412km + 23km = 435 km
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17653
    tFB Trader
    Haven't been updating this for a bit.

Up to 572km now.

Did a 14k last week which was my longest ever run.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good stuff. I did Parkrun today. Brian was late so the riverside Parkrun was still on. I just ran steady, I have to concentrate on building up distance steadily.
    edited October 2017
    5 mile runs on Tuesday and Wednesday, through the quarry. I'm planning a run today, probably up the canal as I'm at home. Then there's Parkrun tomorrow.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited October 2017
    I love to run.
    In 2012 I found I had a passion for running.

I love running like I love guitar, and if you know me, you'd know that that's a big deal.

I love them both.

I like long distance runs like 12 miles, but I've only ever done them like 3 times.

I have an app on my phone/RunKeeper app that maps and tracks my running activity from GPS, and found I could use it in Amsterdam with no Wifi or 3G coverage, and was able to save the run when I got back to the hotel and was on the hotel's wifi.
    This was that run.
    Amsterdam Run June 2016 by treborillusion
    In all honesty: I didn't plan to run.
    I was looking for Ajax merchandise to gift my brother and found a park...
    I was turned around at a junction and found this park (amongst other cool/random things)..
    I found a tent about a study to all residents of Amsterdam
    Random Amsterdam June 2016 - Chauvinism by treborillusion
    asking them about chauvinism like racism, sexism, Islamophobia showing all the different demographics or whatever on the map - inside the tent someone was hooked up to a brain monitoring machine, this young lady at the time, while she was giving her responses to their questions in their case study I came across... - So I was intrigued by this, found a park - thought I'd run through it, maybe a mile or 2, and be back on the road I wanted...
    To me it was a big park like London's Hyde Park, so I knew what I was getting myself in for, park wise...  Directional wise...
    I made a complete mistake of my bearings and my plan... I started my run heading away from my destination...
    I found a map on the other side of the park at that gate that told me where I was since my phone needed wifi to show me the map, my map was blank/grey without wifi but lit up as soon as I found myself at my destination with its wifi. GPS however still told me of time ran and pace and distance traveled... - So my run in Amsterdam was me running, not wanting to backtrack 'it would spoil the map lol' or stop my run before I had wifi at the hotel I was staying at/and for all and intents and purposes; Lost basically.
    I carried on, with my run, I decided to go parallel on myself after a quick summary of the street map I found... Ran my ran still running and I managed to spot a land mark I could see from a distance that I made a note of when I first went and stayed at this hotel... I found my way back and on my final stretch, running across this like forecourt at their stock exchange Buersstrat, I was the happiest person in all of Amsterdam (the happiest place on Earth) as I ran across it to my finish line at my hotel... got in, saw the wifi light up and my map come up... saved it, yeah... Done deal.

I then stretched (as my run was spontaneous upon finding that park), I didn't stretch before hand, it was just 'go time'.. smile
    and afterwards, caught up with an old friend...
    My cat friend in Amsterdam by treborillusion
    This cat belonged to the hotel next to my one... and...
    I first saw him one night, in front of a busy group of South Londoners and everyone you might expect to see in the middle of a world city, this cat, in his own stride, walked amongst us - used a door mat as a litter tray/whizzed on that... and walked back... In doing that, that taught me 'don't use the door mats in this country/that street I know'... So after my run, second time in Amsterdam, guess who comes out and says hello when i came back out after my stretch and shower and a little TV? This guy  even let me pet him but then got a little bit shy as I pulled out my camera, but this cat is way cool. 

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited October 2017
    Sitting back at home months later, I saw this

and noticed a thing or 2 I guess, I forget how, but I ended up looking on Google to find out where this was filmed and sure enough, by chance, I ran through that park...

I didn't have any or didn't notice anyone chasing me with rubber mallets/hammers, but... yeah, it was that park I ran through and my RunKeeperApp told me where I ran. smile 

• 875+ 45= 920
    Only 120k in the last two months. Not good enough! 
    Only 80k to the target though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    had a couple of weeks off to let my foot recover and all seems fine again. Did a 9.2 mile training run on Satrurday and a 30 mile race on Sunday which I coached some runners to their first ultramarathon. Once finished I went back out (with permission from RD) to run in last of our runners so did 31.3 miles in total. Looking forward to starting back training this week and pleased my foot held up.

=1364m/2195km