Terry Morgan 59 Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Bucket said:
    Wouldn't mind playing a real Terry Morgan myself after reading this thread. 
    Me too. I bet they're fantastic.

I'm sure you could get someone else to knock up a similarly excellent fake for significantly less than the price of a TM - or, indeed, an R8 or R9. Assuming I was going to keep it forever and not risk selling it, I'd think long and hard about it.

I mean, those are actually the best new Les Pauls you can get in terms of vintage accuracy.
    Your last two words are the issue here.  I'm not that fussed about vintage accuracy.  There are some tweaks to the design that would make it a much a better player without sacrificing anything important.

When I get round to it, and when I find the speed knobs I've got in a drawer somewhere, I plan to replace the "correct" knobs on my R8 with speed knobs.  I'd also much rather have one with the PRS tweak to the nut position to help intonation than one that is vintage correct.

The PRS Singlecut I had several years back didn't have what a good Les Paul has, but I do like the idea of trying to come up with a version that gets rid of the design flaws.  I don't get the obsession with having to have everything exactly like one that was made 60 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe said:
    How much do they go for???
    If you have to ask then you can't afford it ;)
    I'm pretty sure I can't afford it, as it goes. I doubt very much they come in at £700..!
    Just curious!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14357
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:

I'm sure you could get someone else to knock up a similarly excellent fake for significantly less than the price of a TM - or, indeed, an R8 or R9. Assuming I was going to keep it forever and not risk selling it, I'd think long and hard about it.

I mean, those are actually the best new Les Pauls you can get in terms of vintage accuracy.
    I know the new waiting list is around 2 years now - I heard a comment that he is thinking of calling it  a day and someone else passed comment on that earlier in this blog - Not sure if true or not 

I've no info as to how many have been made and whilst used examples crop up now and again they aren't exactly 10 a penny
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Damn !   I can feel renewed stirrings of Lemondrop LP GAS (none of this 50s Samoan war club neck nonsense though, 60s neck for me ....)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14357
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Bucket said:

Your last two words are the issue here.  I'm not that fussed about vintage accuracy.  There are some tweaks to the design that would make it a much a better player without sacrificing anything important.

When I get round to it, and when I find the speed knobs I've got in a drawer somewhere, I plan to replace the "correct" knobs on my R8 with speed knobs.  I'd also much rather have one with the PRS tweak to the nut position to help intonation than one that is vintage correct.

The PRS Singlecut I had several years back didn't have what a good Les Paul has, but I do like the idea of trying to come up with a version that gets rid of the design flaws.  I don't get the obsession with having to have everything exactly like one that was made 60 years ago.
    and this were the likes of Huber and PRS with the 594's come into play - not DNA replicas but more the vibe of

I know were you are coming from - I own a nice Tom Murphy 57 Gold Top and a PRS Modern Eagle and I know which I play and use the most - It might not be an LP but it captures enough of the vintage vibe for me to do a good job with it and I'm more happy playing it than the 57 Gold Top - The 57 does produce a more 'realistic' tone and there is some different mojo going on, but the ME makes be a 'better player' or should I say allows me to maximise my ability
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    does Terry Morgan make fake strats as well? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    does Terry Morgan make fake strats as well? 
    I don't think Fender make fake Terry Morgans....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    They must be really good because they rarely come up for sale whereas '59 Les Pauls crop up quite often.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3300
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    They must be really good because they rarely come up for sale whereas '59 Les Pauls crop up quite often.
    They get moved on in a closed group of people according to a vintage guy I know

I want to know who the stig burst builder is

It's all quite funny tbh
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Seems an awful lot of these burst builders about. My friend had a Dan Shinn from Lays Guitar Shop, its an amazing instrument.
    edited July 2017
    Ah well, I said I'd never mention him again - but my Facebook feed advises me that for anyone with a spare £8495, Atoyboy Guitars will sell you one of Tel's LP copies. He's obviously feeling a bit bolder about it this time - the 'Gibson' logo is clearly visible in the pictures on his website....

http://www.audiotoyshop.com/store/p407/2015_Terry_Morgan_Les_Paul_Burst_'Pearly_Gates'Replica___HSC.html
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    "Secretive workshops" lol.
    I like to think they are under a volcano.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's illegal, immoral but also absolutely gorgeous 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Given that UK Customs are starting to impound/destroy Chibsons, presumably in response to complaints from Gibson, I hope that it's only a matter of time before Atoyboy's supplier has to be just that for a group of "old lags".
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    ennspek said:
    "Secretive workshops" lol.
    I like to think they are under a volcano.
    I imagine it as his garage....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    When he's filled his current orders he's going to close his books and retire - to a country without an extradition treaty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited July 2017
    The wear on the back by the toggle switch cavity plate looks very fake to me...

I know it is fake - but what I'm saying is I have seen better recreations of wear than that.

That looks shit. This is the real thing:

TM's relicing would be laughed at on a £200 Vintage or Joe Bloggs' effort in his bedroom with his belt sander...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Imagine if Terry Morgan moved to China and made copies of Terry Morgans and sold them on Aliexpress.  
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    How do we know its not  Gibson   faking TM's?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Why are people so obsessed with bursts that they're willing to spend 10k on one. Even if you have the best one ever it still won't sound as a good as an average Strat for goodness sake. Get a grip. ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom