Conor McGregor...the BIG fight

What's Hot

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    @duotone - I agree. I couldn't find any value in the odds. Though I enjoy watching Mayweather fight I dont think I'll even watch this. 

@RMJ - Yeah - I remember Mosley did catch him with a shot in the middle rounds didn't he. Closest Ive ever seen Mayweather to being hurt. And Mosley was definitely way past his best at that point. But Mayweather won that fight comfortably. Maybe your right about DLH as well, though he certainly wasn't far off his peak and would could argue that Mayweather hadn't full developed his style at that point. It was a close fight. But think of the Canelo fight - a big, powerful, young and ambitious fighter. And he was totally schooled. Juan Marquez (one of my personal favourites) - a pro since 15 - could box, fight, seen it all in the ring and he was boxed to a stand still in the later rounds. Just didn't know what to do. There is no way McGregor's boxing game is deeper than these guys. 

How do you see Canelo/GGG going?
    Canelo wasn't peak when he fought Floyd. He's come on a lot since. Canelo has had questionable wins against Lara (I thought he list comfortably) and Cotto  (close). 

Marquez was fighting well above his best weight. And styles were all wrong. Marquez is a counter puncher as is Floyd. Marquez uses his face as defence. He was always gonna get tagged trying to land.

But I do take your point. How can future HOF pros lose to him and a 0-0 nivice beat him? I dunno, but I'm interested to find out. I don't know if Conor is resigned to losing as he is getting a massive pay day. But he walks the talk doesn't he? He smashed Aldo in seconds when no one gave him a chance.

I'm genuinely intrigued....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @RMJ ;
    I agree Marquez was fighting well above his weight - but he's a vastly experienced fighter who, in the later rounds, simply couldn't throw a punch as he knew it would end in him being countered. Can you defend with your face and be a counter puncher? I think your doing him a disservice there. He can box as well - but maybe I am just a bit sensitive - he is one of my all time favourites. 

Mayweather has been in with power, been in with aggression, been in with slick skills, been in with mind games, been in with warriors (he was punch perfect against Gatti). 

I am not sure what McGregor is going to bring to the party? But then again whilst Ive seen the majority of Mayweathers fighter I've seen very few of McGregor's 

He seems utterly sure he'll win and I wouldn't begrudge him the payday. 

Is there something I am not seeing? I guess the smaller gloves won't help Mayweathers defence?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    @RMJ ;;
    I agree Marquez was fighting well above his weight - but he's a vastly experienced fighter who, in the later rounds, simply couldn't throw a punch as he knew it would end in him being countered. Can you defend with your face and be a counter puncher? I think your doing him a disservice there. He can box as well - but maybe I am just a bit sensitive - he is one of my all time favourites. 

Mayweather has been in with power, been in with aggression, been in with slick skills, been in with mind games, been in with warriors (he was punch perfect against Gatti). 

I am not sure what McGregor is going to bring to the party? But then again whilst Ive seen the majority of Mayweathers fighter I've seen very few of McGregor's 

He seems utterly sure he'll win and I wouldn't begrudge him the payday. 

Is there something I am not seeing? I guess the smaller gloves won't help Mayweathers defence?
    Marquez is my fave boxer mate. He took the pay day against mayweather and why not. When I say defends with his face, i mean he takes a shot to land two. It's just his style. He is in wars. Mayweather isnt.

As I said previously Conor brings complete unpredictability. He could turn up and be a complete chump. But I can't believe for that will happen for the level of investment to promote and make this fight. He is very hard and I wonder whether he does have a punchers chance. Thing is mayweather has an exceptional chin.

It'll go 12 rounds I think and probably be a wide victory to mayweather. But will be an interesting thing to watch.

Undergrad looks good too. Clev v Jack is interesting. And Davis is a phenomenal talent 

Everyone bangs on about GGG v Golovkin but I think that could be a chess match.......or a war!!
  • RMJ said:

Everyone bangs on about GGG v Golovkin but I think that could be a chess match.......or a war!!
    If these two fight it'll definitely be a war! 

I agree with you though - Marquez is a legend. A wide Mayweather points win seems like the most likely outcome and although I am dismissing it I'll probably end up getting it, cus, as you say, the undercard is interesting. 

I'd like to see Brook/Khan. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22945
    RMJ said:
    I'm probably showing my ignorance, but I thought GGG is Golovkin?
  • Philly_Q said:
    RMJ said:
    Your right Mr Q. They are indeed one and the same. @RMJ is odiously a boxing man - but he made a goof and I made a poor joke. GGG is an aggressive fighter so if he fought himself it'd no doubt be a war.

I am lame. I apologise.  
    edited August 2017
    Philly_Q said:
    RMJ said:
    Your right Mr Q. They are indeed one and the same. @RMJ is odiously a boxing man - but he made a goof and I made a poor joke. GGG is an aggressive fighter so if he fought himself it'd no doubt be a war.

I am lame. I apologise.  
    Hahaha i had had a few beers!!!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    despite being a huge UFC fan and following Conor closely for a few years now I have to say i'm not that excited about this fight. I'd be way more excited it Conor was fighting Khabib, and i was way more excited for Cormier v Jones a few weeks ago

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15974
    anyone buyin' the fight tonight?
    tae be or not tae be
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    It's one of those rare fights where I want both of them to lose.

For the sort of money at stake I'd take both of them on at the same time.
  • I was going to but don't have anyone to watch it with anymore, and I'm not leaving the house to watch something at stupid o'clock. So highlights on the news for me...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

Looks like he's mutating into something even more grotesque.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    I've bought it. Couldn't resist. Too intriguing. There could be a stone in weight between them. And Connor is a fuckin lunatic.  Can't wait to see how mental he goes and how Mayweather reacts to it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    underdog said:
    underdog said:
    I think a fairly boring fight where Connor barely lands a glove but doesn't get knocked out either.

This is bordering on "sports entertainment" rather than sport. It's set up to get maximum exposure and sell as much pay per view as possible. There's nothing at stake really for either man, and all the bad mouthing in the press calls is just showmanship. 
    The entertainment part is the whole reason these events happen. Entertainment = money 

But sports entertainment is what WWE wrestling is, essentially a pantomime, scripted sport.
    Get in the ring, take a battering and then call it panto 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Was going to watch it. But ... 4am ... bollocks to that! 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I'm tempted - but I'll probably fall asleep! 

It's an intriguing bout - no more than that really. Whether my curiosity can justify  £19.95 and either a later night or early rise I haven't decided yet.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I reckon this is going to be a very short fight indeed.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The mother of all jokes is on TV early tomorrow morning. The so called fight is such a joke that the fighters are being paid hundreds of millions just to take part. The punch line, if you pardon the pun, is that paid TV is putting up some or all the money. No marks for guessing where that money comes from......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Yeah, I've bought it.

I'm quite interested what the outcome will be.

octatonic said:
    Short - meaning? You reckon McGregor will knock him out?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited August 2017
    octatonic said:
    Short - meaning? You reckon McGregor will knock him out?
    Nope.