Conor McGregor...the BIG fight

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I haven't heard such a bullshit commentary for a LONG time. 
    I had money on Floyd by tko and to win in 9-10th round so no surprise there and the dinner is on him tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Watched it on yt , Floyd moved like rigor Mortis had set in, good time for him to hang up glov
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    cpcompany said:
    Genuinely a better fight than I thought possible. My two observations were how much Mayweathers reflexes have declined and McGregor didn't hit anywhere near as hard as expected. 
    Agreed, I'm just glad I was proven wrong, they seemed to go at it properly. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    ThorpyFX said:
    cpcompany said:
    Genuinely a better fight than I thought possible. My two observations were how much Mayweathers reflexes have declined and McGregor didn't hit anywhere near as hard as expected. 
    I was really surprised at how quickly Connor gassed. There was no power behind his shots at all. I've never seen Floyd walk anyone down like that.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    axisus said:
    I say well done McGregor for lasting so long. 

Let's face it, Mayweather probably wouldn't last a full minute if they switched to McGregor's sport.
    It seemed pretty clear to me (a non-expert in either sport tbf) that McGregor was really hampered by having to stick to boxing rules. I maybe wouldn't put it as a minute, but I definitely think the result would have been different if it had been MMA rules.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited August 2017
    RMJ said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    cpcompany said:
    I was really surprised at how quickly Connor gassed. There was no power behind his shots at all. I've never seen Floyd walk anyone down like that.
    Conor's not normally an aggressive fighter- he picks his shots & fights on the counter. He went on the offensive (as he needed to to stand a chance) here & paid the price later. 

His longest MMA fight by far is 25mins (Vs Diaz) & he was exhausted then too. This was longer, in heavier gloves and he went out harder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    RMJ said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    cpcompany said:
    Mayweather didn't seem to have much respect for McGregors punching power. He barely attempted to slip a punch all fight. That was a big surprise to me as Floyd usually takes no risks but obviously knew he could finish the fight with right leads and no combinations.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Now he's a rich man, maybe McGregor can see about having that shitty tattoo lasered off.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Still, McGregor got beat by a man 12 years older than him who hadn't had a proper boxing match for 2 years.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'd like to see more of these mixed discipline type deals, maybe pole vaulting vs synchronised swimming.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    Still, McGregor got beat by a man 12 years older than him who hadn't had a proper boxing match for 2 years.  
    Exactly.  For all the talk of McGregor being the younger, fitter man, Mayweather had unbelievable stamina for a 40 year old.  Boxing is a completely different type of fitness to other sports due to the relentless energy conversion required through the arms.   Still, McGregor gave a good account of himself away from his own sport.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344

I think that could be raised if Mayweather was 60, but 40 isn't particularly old for someone who has boxed all their life and never lost. There's absolutely no reason why a 40 year old with 49 wins and no losses should lose to an MMA fighter with a zero record in professional boxing. I don't think there was ever a chance of McGregor winning, and that's fine. It's not like he was fighting an old man.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Canelo Alvarez is younger than McGregor. No one raised the age gap when he fought Mayweather. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    At least it was more entertaining than the paquiao fight....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    There also seems to be a marked difference between boxing fans and UFC fans as this pic of a UFC enthusiast suggests:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Sassafras said:
    There also seems to be a marked difference between boxing fans and UFC fans as this pic of a UFC enthusiast suggests:

Arnold Rimmer's let himself go a bit...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    ThorpyFX said:
    At least it was more entertaining than the paquiao fight....
    Now that one was a zzzzfeast
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    Canelo Alvarez is younger than McGregor. No one raised the age gap when he fought Mayweather. 
    I think the age was made an issue by the media more than anything, but it was a total red herring.  Mayweather might not be quite as fast as he was but fitness was never an issue (like most people thought it wouldn't be).
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Canelo vs Golovkin 16th Sep - now that could be a right tear up!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Having been both 40 and 28 rest assured the difference is massive. At 40 you are much more likely to get badly hurt and much less likely to recover. A 28 year old Mayweather would have badly hurt McGregor.