Conor McGregor...the BIG fight

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    A 28 yr old Floyd would have been impossible to hit, 40 yr old Floyd was like a statue, what a shame him and Manny didn't fight in their prime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Mayweather added McGregor to his 'Girl Collection' - He'll be gettin' mounted.
  • I think fair play to McGregor for giving it a great go. He did better than expected and unless Floyd really made a huge mistake (the counter uppercut he got clipped with early could've been that moment in another universe) it was always going to be less and less likely he could win. If it was MMA I genuinely believe Conor could end it easily in under a minute unless Floyd was able to learn years worth of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling in a few months (not possible for a 40 year old in my opinion - and remarkably unlikely/practically impossible for a 28 year old). I found it really interesting how instinct and muscle memory took over for Conor - Those moments where they clinched and Conor immediately pummelled for double underhooks - arguably a waste of energy since he wasn't allowed to take him down! I'd love to see an MMA rules rematch. The odds on that happening must be asquidgeteenquillion-to-one though. Who doesn't want to see a wife-beater get beaten up though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

Just watched it and actually it was better than I thought it would ever be.

Mayweather at 40 looked slow, McGregor looked sharp but little power in the shots, it did also look a bit "pantomime" at times but made fortunes and both men walked away with shit loads of money.

One thing for sure though is that I wouldn`t like to fight either of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Still, McGregor got beat by a man 12 years older than him who hadn't had a proper boxing match for 2 years.  

So a man with no professional boxing matches lost to an older man with 49 professional boxing matches? Who saw that coming huh?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    underdog said:
    Still, McGregor got beat by a man 12 years older than him who hadn't had a proper boxing match for 2 years.  

So a man with no professional boxing matches lost to an older man with 49 professional boxing matches? Who saw that coming huh?
    ?
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    McGregor earned how much for fighting Mayweather?!!

F-me.  I'll do it for half price.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'd like Mayweather to fight a shark next.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    ennspek said:
    I'd like Mayweather to fight a shark next.

Image result for shark with boxing gloves

tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    octatonic said:
    Rocker said:
    Nobody can seriously claim that MMA/UFC is a sport.  Entertainment, certainly but not sport.
    Are you sure you are not confusing UFC for American Wrestling?
    Seriously, this is a fucking stupid thing to say.

MMA is most definitely a sport.
    I invite you to go roll with some jiujutsu chaps, or take a kick boxing/Muy Thai class, or a boxing class, or Judo, or Muay Thai, or Greco-Roman wrestling.
    Then go and try to do them all at once.

I did all those... I'll volunteer ;-) 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Carl Frampton would knock shit outta McGregor.    
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'll take anyone on for £25 million. It's just my bad luck and the promoter's laziness that I haven't been asked to.
  • I've watched it a few times now and alas it was totally predicable - yet I still couldn't prevent myself from paying for it (to compound my annoyance Jack vs Cleverly was also massively disappointing). 

An amateur boxer versus the unparalleled slickness and boxing experienced of FMJr. There was only ever going to be one outcome - Mayweatrher was utterly in control - he is a master of doing enough to win and did'nt look like he was in trouble at all. 

Mayweather looks a shadow of his former self but was streets ahead of McGregor. I dont know how representative of MMA McGregor is, but he was shocking as a boxer. 

Mr Gregor got schooled and that is testimony to how refined boxing is in comparison to MMA. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited August 2017
    I've watched it a few times now and alas it was totally predicable - yet I still couldn't prevent myself from paying for it (to compound my annoyance Jack vs Cleverly was also massively disappointing). 

An amateur boxer versus the unparalleled slickness and boxing experienced of FMJr. There was only ever going to be one outcome - Mayweatrher was utterly in control - he is a master of doing enough to win and did'nt look like he was in trouble at all. 

Mayweather looks a shadow of his former self but was streets ahead of McGregor. I dont know how representative of MMA McGregor is, but he was shocking as a boxer. 

Mr Gregor got schooled and that is testimony to how refined boxing is in comparison to MMA. 
    Conor has never been considered a good boxer, even by MMA standards. He's a good counter striking fighter- rarely going on the offensive until he's landed a good shot to give an opportunity to press whilst his opponent is off balance. 

He tends to use kicks (or the threat of them) to force his opponents to circle into his left hand. Which carries good (but not outstanding) power, it's his accuracy and speed that do damage. He always seems to land on the jaw, temple or behind the ear. 

His right is used to paw the opponent's lead hand to maintain distance- he doesn't jab often.

If an opponent gets frustrated or hurt at range (& his reach is long for a lightweight) they're forced to dive in for a takedown or clinch- which is where you see Conor circle and land fight ending shots. 

There are decent boxers in MMA, but not great ones- the threat of a takedown means that set sitting on your punches can carry a risk. 

GSP virtually changed the MMA boxing game by training with Freddie Roach for the Koscheck fight. He unexpectedly unveiled a ferocious jab & used it constantly to keep Kos from coming in at all- allowing himself the space to kick/takedown, returning to the jab if he lost the offensive. He literally broke his opponents face. Google it- it's not pretty! 

Frankie Edgar is a good MMA boxer, he fights his way in with boxing then hits a takedown. He's been successful despite being very small. 

The Diaz brothers are both good boxers (possibly the best in MMA) they use immense cardio to land in volume. Conor fought Nate twice & struggled with him despite winning the second bout. Their excellent BJJ means that they don't fear being taken down, so they stand & throw leather. Whilst taunting/slapping any opponent who won't engage. 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Watched that again. McGregor was schooled. As Oscar de La Hoya said "only Floyd May weather knows why that fight lasted 10 rounds". 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    I've watched it a few times now and alas it was totally predicable - yet I still couldn't prevent myself from paying for it (to compound my annoyance Jack vs Cleverly was also massively disappointing). 

I've only watched it once on Youtube but that's how I saw things too. I've had people claim that McGregor won at least the first 3 rounds... Well I don't think those people have seen many Mayweather fights, he often gives away the first few rounds and that's against boxers who he will respect.

There were just too many things wrong with this for it to not be anything more than a money making exercise for a lot of people. The fact Mayweather entered the ring in a balaclava says everything... It was robbery, even a little fishy...

That being said, fair play to McGregor for going into the boxing world as I doubt it would ever have happened the other way round (although it was McGregor calling out Mayweather after all...), but I think he should stick to UFC. And fair play to Mayweather because he sure knows how sell a fight.

If it was against a 29 year old active Mayweather, or any other top boxer in their prime I don't think this would ever have happened because on the evidence of this fight, it would not have been a good outcome.

They are two completely different sports and should be appreciated as such for the skills and work required to do both.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    A 28 yr old Floyd would have been impossible to hit, 40 yr old Floyd was like a statue, what a shame him and Manny didn't fight in their prime.
    Golovkin and Mayweather five years ago would have stopped Floyds unbeaten record, hence him never entertaining a match up. That's the fight that could have been epic. Massive shame it never happened. If you think of Leonard, Hearns, etc they wanted to just fight the best opponent with the bonus of millions in prize money.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited August 2017
    Also, makes me absolutely fuckin laugh that a guy who's never had a professional boxing match walked away with $100 million. Makes suckers out of joe public.