Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iPhone X then?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Gagaryn said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I'll buy the 256GB X when I am out of contract in February.
    And I'll get a new watch as I was waiting for this one.
    And a 4k Apple TV.

Yes, I'm Apple's bitch.
    Having a bit of a dig into the spec of the X vs the 8 and 8 Plus I don't think I want to get the X just yet.
    I'm going to want a couple of iterations of the face unlock stuff before I'm prepared to live with it.

8 Plus for me I reckon.
    I'm in the same boat but think I'm just going to hold onto my 128GB 6S Plus for another year on a £10 5 GB monthly sim free contract for another year while the face unlock stuff matures - I can see this being problematic for a while.

I can't see enough benefit in the 8 Plus to justify the expense. Nobody wants to pay just under a grand for second best when best can be had for a few quid more - even if the best isn't quite there yet. I'll buy an XI next year! 
    That is actually a pretty compelling argument.
    I have until February to decide so no real rush.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    I'll spend £10 on a replacement battery for my nearly 3 year old Android!
  • RiftAmps said:

Is £1149 too much for a phone? Maybe. It works out at £48 per month over my 24month contract. I spend more than that every month on Coffee.
    Your coffee is overpriced as well. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmps said:

Is £1149 too much for a phone? Maybe. It works out at £48 per month over my 24month contract. I spend more than that every month on Coffee.
    Or that's a feck of a lot of coffee!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I wonder if there's an Apple Forum where people are saying - £1,000 for a guitar! That's stupid money.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    edited September 2017
    AlexC said:
    I wonder if there's an Apple Forum where people are saying - £1,000 for a guitar! That's stupid money.
    I was gonna say this, funny how tons of people who say 'but it does what all the other do' or whatever, yet we probably all have a bunch of guitars/amp/pedals that do essentially the same things in a different way lol 

It is what it is. Yes its expensive, yes its overpriced, am I going to buy it? Probably.
    I spend more time on my phone than anything else (have all my contracts on it for work, spreadsheets for who Im paying on my gigs, gig details, emails, sat nav, set lists, backing tracks for some gigs, etc....) so I can justify spending an extra couple of hundred quid on that opposed to another one because i like having something nice and quick to use for it and I like how the apple stuff links in with all my other stuff automatically.

Also, everyone said that the Fingerprint tech wouldnt and that had very few teething problems, firmware update a month in and its been solid. Facial recognition will probably be the same. Thats generally why apple adopt to stuff later (about samsung having facial recognition years ago), they just make the same tech better most of the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    AlexC said:
    Ten years after you've bought your £1000 guitar it should work just as well as a new one. A ten year old phone on the other hand...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    Ten years after you've bought your £1000 guitar it should work just as well as a new one. A ten year old phone on the other hand...
    Many people still use an iPhone 4 everyday, that must be 7 or 8 years old now. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    Substitute guitar for modelling amp then. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    I completely agree with you. Also, a guitar has the potential to pay for itself if you're a working musician (I guess many use their iPhones for work too). However, judging by this forum folk are chopping and changing their gear all the time and consider 're-sale value' a very important factor. I don't need or want an iPhone, but neither do I need the latest/bespoke/custom shop guitar which I'm going to pass on in 2 yrs either. A 'thing' is worth what people will pay for it. Apple are capitalists (obviously) and so are Fender, Volvo and Heinz. They sell product for the price people will pay. £1,000 for a tin of beans on the other hand...
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    octatonic said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    Yeah the modelling amp is a fairer comparison ;)

Danny1969 said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    Many people still use an iPhone 4 everyday, that must be 7 or 8 years old now. 

Yes they'd be up to 7 years old I guess. (Don't think they cost a thousand quid though but) you do see them around so it's a fair point.

My phone is 3-4 years old (lost track) and does what I want, I think they've pretty much reached a point where they don't need to improve for most people. Make them a bit tougher and with a better battery perhaps... (but then nobody would replace them and people aren't buying new ones at the rate they were as it is, so manufacturers are unlikely to make them last even longer!)

I met a guy once who worked in marketing for a mobile phone company. He said it was a funny business as the people who want and buy new/expensive phones were in two camps - the wealthy that can afford them very easily or those that can hardly afford them and were often not all that well off. Trying to market to such distinct groups wasn't always easy (apparently).
    octatonic said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    A modelling amp isn't limited by how long its battery will last.  You can get around 1000 charges out of the current generation of batteries.  With light use and charging every other day, that's a maximum of a bit over 5 years.  Changing the battery in the latest iPhones is a very difficult undertaking.

You will always be able to find extreme examples - I read about someone still using a version 1 Pod the other day.  Ignoring the extreme examples though, the lifecycle for musical gear is very different.  The Strymon Timeline was released in 2011.  It's still right up there as one of the market leaders 6 years on.  I could probably sell mine for £250 tomorrow.  A 6 year old phone wouldn't run the latest version of iOS or Android, whichever flavour you like, and would be practically worthless.

The Line 6 DL4 was released in 1999 and is still on sale new now.  The modern smartphone didn't exist then. 

Your comparison is slightly better than using a guitar, but it's still not really valid.  90% of modellers will still be in use then they are 4 years old.  90% of phones will be stuck in a drawer somewhere when they are 4 years old.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm fairly sure there are people who can drop a grand on a bottle of wine, or a meal in a restaurant, or a room for the night, and it wouldn't bother them. So, you know... Different people, different priorities, different budgets..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3191
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

One takeaway coffee every weekday - 25 x £3.50 = £87.50. Plus whatever I drink at home. I budget around £100 per month.

In my defence, I'm teetotal so coffee and cigars are my only consumable luxuries. I have friends who spend £100 on a night out, every weekend.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

One takeaway coffee every weekday - 25 x £3.50 = £87.50. Plus whatever I drink at home. I budget around £100 per month.

In my defence, I'm teetotal so coffee and cigars are my only consumable luxuries. I have friends who spend £100 on a night out, every weekend.
    £87.50 a month on coffee? I need to up my amplifier building game, there's obviously money to be made ... ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    A modelling amp isn't limited by how long its battery will last.  You can get around 1000 charges out of the current generation of batteries.  With light use and charging every other day, that's a maximum of a bit over 5 years.  Changing the battery in the latest iPhones is a very difficult undertaking.

You will always be able to find extreme examples - I read about someone still using a version 1 Pod the other day.  Ignoring the extreme examples though, the lifecycle for musical gear is very different.  The Strymon Timeline was released in 2011.  It's still right up there as one of the market leaders 6 years on.  I could probably sell mine for £250 tomorrow.  A 6 year old phone wouldn't run the latest version of iOS or Android, whichever flavour you like, and would be practically worthless.

The Line 6 DL4 was released in 1999 and is still on sale new now.  The modern smartphone didn't exist then. 

Your comparison is slightly better than using a guitar, but it's still not really valid.  90% of modellers will still be in use then they are 4 years old.  90% of phones will be stuck in a drawer somewhere when they are 4 years old.

Iphone 4 and 4S, remove 2 screws near port, slide back cover to change battery
    iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6S and plus models remove 2 screws next to lighting port and lift up screen from botom to top to change battery
    iPhone 7 same as above but screen lifts from left to right not bottom to top to change battery

Just today I changed a battery in a 6 in less time than it would take me to remove the glued on back cover of a Samsung, Sony or LG etc. 

In these days of glued together phones the iPhones are the easiest to replace batteries, charging ports and screens. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:

Iphone 4 and 4S, remove 2 screws near port, slide back cover to change battery
    iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6S and plus models remove 2 screws next to lighting port and lift up screen from botom to top to change battery
    iPhone 7 same as above but screen lifts from left to right not bottom to top to change battery

Just today I changed a battery in a 6 in less time than it would take me to remove the glued on back cover of a Samsung, Sony or LG etc. 

In these days of glued together phones the iPhones are the easiest to replace batteries, charging ports and screens. 
    Depends what you buy.  Admittedly my current phone is nearly 3 years old, but one of my criteria was that the battery is easily replaceable.  I'd ideally like to keep it for 4 or 5 years.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    tFB Trader
    The reports are that the face unlock on the X is not all that great so I think that's going to be a problem for them. 

The leaks (which were pretty much 100% bang on for everything they released yesterday) suggested it was supposed to have a very clever under glass touch ID sensor, but they couldn't get it working reliably so it was dropped and will probably appear on the X2/XI/Y?  in a year or so.

Flagship phones are getting more expensive. Samsung and Pixel phones are now getting to the price point of an iPhone 7 so Apple as the premium brand are going to take it further up market.

I know a few people who would be buying an X if it was £2k. There are plenty of people driving 100k cars and wearing 20k watches so a phone at any sort of price is peanuts. If it's genuinely the best thing out there and there is a market for it then it makes sense for them to create the product to meet the market need.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    beed84 said:
    @prowla ;

In terms of what you listed, I added the most affordable actual items to my Amazon basket, curious as to what the cost would be:

There was an alarm clock and camera on there too.

The question is: is it worth shelling out £850 more for the privilege of convenience when (1) the above items do a pretty good job (2) who uses a compass, spirit level, and plays cards anyway? (3) surfing the net and emailing can be done at home, and (4) how much of your precious time is wasted on an costly device. Not least the vulnerability of damage and the cost of repair.

Called me old fashioned, cynical, whatever, but civilisation has truly lost its way to technology IMHO and we're becoming a bunch of modern day neanderthals because of it. 
    You forgot to include a bag to carry them all around in!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2439
    That's an extra 5p then.