Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iPhone X then?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Why is the new iPhone £1K? The answer is below .. Apple need to pay for this .. :-)

Looks a great place to work ..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/09/12/first-look-apples-new-hq/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884

Fretwired said:
    A flustered Phil Schiller struggled to unlock the device while demonstrating how Face ID works, Apple’s new facial recognition software ... another reason not to spend £1K on a phone .. and no home button ...

More lols from fan boys expected ..

No lol's from me.
    I agree- I'm sure the tech will eventually work but I don't fancy taking the risk.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    dindude said:
    So much hate, don't get it.
    I don't think it's "hate" per se.  As I said in my post, I use plenty of Apple devices, so I certainly don't hate Apple.  

I (like to) think that the comments here are more about a critical evaluation of the new product, particularly related to its pricing, and whether the product / price is more about delivering clearly needed and demanded functionality to its customers, or about pushing Apple Corp ever closer to its targeted $1trn market capitalisation.

And surely we're all just a little tired of the "this phone is the greatest leap forward since ..." BS.  I thought that approach to justifying a new product had died out with the old "this new powder washes whiter than ever before" in the 1970s ...

dindude said:
    The X will fly off the shelf for people who must have the latest and best Apple phone, simple as that.
    That's probably it, in all connotations of the word "simple".
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Is it only face unlock?

If so I'm definitely out.

Face recognition is patchy at best on my S8, doesn't like me not wearing glasses and needs to be held be just right.

The S8 doesn't have a home button but you can still wake where the home button usually is.

The 8 is still just incremental update of the 6 as the 7 was purely to make the X more tempting.

Maybe were stuck now with how design can go as we all want just screen on the front so how can phones have a bit of identity now.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    dindude said:
    So much hate, don't get it.
    I don't think it's "hate" per se.  As I said in my post, I use plenty of Apple devices, so I certainly don't hate Apple.  

I (like to) think that the comments here are more about a critical evaluation of the new product, particularly related to its pricing, and whether the product / price is more about delivering clearly needed and demanded functionality to its customers, or about pushing Apple Corp ever closer to its targeted $1trn market capitalisation.

And surely we're all just a little tired of the "this phone is the greatest leap forward since ..." BS.  I thought that approach to justifying a new product had died out with the old "this new powder washes whiter than ever before" in the 1970s ...

dindude said:
    The X will fly off the shelf for people who must have the latest and best Apple phone, simple as that.
    That's probably it, in all connotations of the word "simple".
    Exactly this ... I don't hate Apple, I still use an iPad Air which enjoys great battery life and is very simple to use. Admittedly I don't do a lot on it other than read ebooks and visit forums. I just can't stomach the "this is the greatest phone ever" marketing hype and the inflated prices. Especially when it's brought nothing new to the table. I remember when iphone launches were exciting and the technology groundbreaking. Now they seem to be favouring marketing-hype over actual product development.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3190
    RiftAmps said:

Is £1149 too much for a phone? Maybe. It works out at £48 per month over my 24month contract. 
    Is that just the phone?  I would have thought with a half decent data allowance and call minutes etc they would be more like £70 per month.  From Apple, the phone alone is £55 per month, which I guess includes interest for the £1148 loan.

Yeah that's just the phone component, the tariff will be on top, probably £65ish per month for mine.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2439
    DanR said:
    Is it only face unlock?

Don't they have Touch ID built into the screen?

If so, surely both Touch ID and face recognition are going to be an absolute bitch when you inevitability drop it and smash the screen.

Is this another way of Apple saying, "You know that £1000 phone you just bought and clumsily smashed like the idiot you are? Well if you want to continue using it, then you're going have to get that screen repaired and by us. So yeah, that's another £120 please. Thanks. See you again next month."
  • beed84 said:
    DanR said:
    Is it only face unlock?

If so, surely both Touch ID and face recognition are going to be an absolute bitch when you inevitability drop it and smash the screen.

Is this another way of Apple saying, "You know that £1000 phone you just bought and clumsily smashed like the idiot you are? Well if you want to continue using it, then you're going have to get that screen repaired and by us. So yeah, that's another £120 please. Thanks. See you again next month."
    No, just face. I'm sure it's a lovely device, but I'm not convinced by the face thing. I've always maintained that the 3rd generation of any new device is usually the point I get really keen, so I'm happy to wait for that and see how it develops.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    beed84 said:
    DanR said:
    Is it only face unlock?

Yeah ... my 6 Plus developed a fault where the screen would become unresponsive for a while. Apple said "yeah, that's a known design fault where the chip comes away from the pcb, it'll stop working altogether eventually. That'll be £160 for us to fix!"

Surely a known design fault like that should guarantee a free replacement, or product recall? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    I don't know much about the X but moving to wireless charging means no more tough metal milled main enclosure, which is one of the design features that make iPhones so easy to repair even after deliberate tantrum damage .... my own iPhone was thrown with force across a car park after the previous owner had a ruck with this girlfriend ... brought from him in pieces for £50 and repaired for £60 at time when the phone was worth £400 . Glass backs allow wireless charging but mean the phones now probably gonna be held together with adhesive.

The lack of a home button is a problem as in the event of a screen disaster you can quite easily get by on an iPhone with a home button and a well trained Seri .... most of my calls, texts and calander adjustments are made with Seri  .... you don't need to use the screen to do this. If the home button is now a soft button on the screen then it relies on the digitizer to work and that can quite easily be disabled if the screen breaks 

I'm not comfortable with a phone costing £1000 .... I mean I should be, laptops were £2K upwards when I started working in the laptop repair business with some Thinkpads topping 3K and people used to lose those, break em, steal em from work etc. I think it's the size, I know there's actually more tech and power in a modern phone than a laptop but £1000 still seems crazy. 

The thing that does amuse me though is most of the people who will buy it are people who have never used there previous phone to anywhere near it's capabilities. Seri is actually the cleverest thing ever put in a phone but people don't understand how it works,  so don't put the time in to set it up and then complain it's useless when in fact it is the biggest time saver for people who use a phone constantly for business. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    I don't know much about the X but moving to wireless charging means no more tough metal milled main enclosure, which is one of the design features that make iPhones so easy to repair even after deliberate tantrum damage .... my own iPhone was thrown with force across a car park after the previous owner had a ruck with this girlfriend ... brought from him in pieces for £50 and repaired for £60 at time when the phone was worth £400 . Glass backs allow wireless charging but mean the phones now probably gonna be held together with adhesive.

The lack of a home button is a problem as in the event of a screen disaster you can quite easily get by on an iPhone with a home button and a well trained Seri .... most of my calls, texts and calander adjustments are made with Seri  .... you don't need to use the screen to do this. If the home button is now a soft button on the screen then it relies on the digitizer to work and that can quite easily be disabled if the screen breaks 

I'm not comfortable with a phone costing £1000 .... I mean I should be, laptops were £2K upwards when I started working in the laptop repair business with some Thinkpads topping 3K and people used to lose those, break em, steal em from work etc. I think it's the size, I know there's actually more tech and power in a modern phone than a laptop but £1000 still seems crazy. 

The thing that does amuse me though is most of the people who will buy it are people who have never used there previous phone to anywhere near it's capabilities. Seri is actually the cleverest thing ever put in a phone but people don't understand how it works,  so don't put the time in to set it up and then complain it's useless when in fact it is the biggest time saver for people who use a phone constantly for business. 
    You do know it's Siri ... right?

Unless it's actually this guy on your iPhone ... 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If the only way if unlocking it is via faceid then it's a useless £1k brick

TouchId on my iPhone se generally works fine, unless thumb or the home button is wet, so doesn't work when it's raining, so code unlock backup is useful.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    edited September 2017
    mellowsun said:
    If the only way if unlocking it is via faceid then it's a useless £1k brick

TouchId on my iPhone se generally works fine, unless thumb or the home button is wet, so doesn't work when it's raining, so code unlock backup is useful.
    I was just going to say the same thing. If your finger or the screen is wet, you can't use fingerprint ID, the manual code is vital then. I'm also dubious about how the face ID on the X is going to work in bright sunshine? Sometimes I can barely read the screen on my 6 if it's sunny. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3190
    mellowsun said:
    If the only way if unlocking it is via faceid then it's a useless £1k brick

It still has passcode unlock 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    Danny1969 said:

You do know it's Siri ... right?

Unless it's actually this guy on your iPhone ... 

You don't know about Seri ! ...... I've said too much !! :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I'll buy the 256GB X when I am out of contract in February.
    And I'll get a new watch as I was waiting for this one.
    And a 4k Apple TV.

Yes, I'm Apple's bitch.
    Having a bit of a dig into the spec of the X vs the 8 and 8 Plus I don't think I want to get the X just yet.
    I'm going to want a couple of iterations of the face unlock stuff before I'm prepared to live with it.

8 Plus for me I reckon.
    I'm in the same boat but think I'm just going to hold onto my 128GB 6S Plus for another year on a £10 5 GB monthly sim free contract for another year while the face unlock stuff matures - I can see this being problematic for a while.

I can't see enough benefit in the 8 Plus to justify the expense. Nobody wants to pay just under a grand for second best when best can be had for a few quid more - even if the best isn't quite there yet. I'll buy an XI next year! 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    I'm hoping work upgrade us to the 8 and not the X when we're due for renewals in January. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    prowla said:

It's not a phone, though, is it?

It's an internet browser,
    a Sat-Nav,
    a music store,
    a wallet,
    a load of shop & restaurant loyalty/discount cards,
    an email service,
    a compass,
    a level,
    a game of cards,
    a TV set,
    an alarm clock,
    a camera,
    a movie camera,
    a messaging service,
    a watch,
    a stopwatch,
    etc...
    ...and a phone.

All in one compact unit.
    So it does most of the things that a Moto G4 does for £150?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom