Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iPhone X then?

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited September 2017
    Danny1969 said:
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    oaf said:
    AlexC said:
    I wonder if there's an Apple Forum where people are saying - £1,000 for a guitar! That's stupid money.
    Ten years after you've bought your £1000 guitar it should work just as well as a new one. A ten year old phone on the other hand...
    Substitute guitar for modelling amp then.
    A modelling amp isn't limited by how long its battery will last.  You can get around 1000 charges out of the current generation of batteries.  With light use and charging every other day, that's a maximum of a bit over 5 years.  Changing the battery in the latest iPhones is a very difficult undertaking.

You will always be able to find extreme examples - I read about someone still using a version 1 Pod the other day.  Ignoring the extreme examples though, the lifecycle for musical gear is very different.  The Strymon Timeline was released in 2011.  It's still right up there as one of the market leaders 6 years on.  I could probably sell mine for £250 tomorrow.  A 6 year old phone wouldn't run the latest version of iOS or Android, whichever flavour you like, and would be practically worthless.

The Line 6 DL4 was released in 1999 and is still on sale new now.  The modern smartphone didn't exist then. 

Your comparison is slightly better than using a guitar, but it's still not really valid.  90% of modellers will still be in use then they are 4 years old.  90% of phones will be stuck in a drawer somewhere when they are 4 years old.

Iphone 4 and 4S, remove 2 screws near port, slide back cover to change battery
    iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6S and plus models remove 2 screws next to lighting port and lift up screen from botom to top to change battery
    iPhone 7 same as above but screen lifts from left to right not bottom to top to change battery

Just today I changed a battery in a 6 in less time than it would take me to remove the glued on back cover of a Samsung, Sony or LG etc. 

In these days of glued together phones the iPhones are the easiest to replace batteries, charging ports and screens. 
    Slightly tangential question @Danny1969, but are replacement batteries official parts, or could they overheat etc. 

I ask ask as a 6s plus user whose battery has declined significantly but is otherwise a great phone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    @terada ;

Some are official OEM,  as made in same factory to same spec allegedly but it's difficult to tell. I tend to use people like Replace Base, ibaye etc, avoiding the cheapest of batteries .... they tend to be between £12 and £14 for the 6S Plus

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I must be quite lucky - I'm rocking a roughly 4 year old nexus 4, and it's still great. It did go through a phase of crashing earlier in the year but that's stopped and it's pretty stable. Runs a pretty new version of Android too.

Obviously it's not all singing and dancing, battery life isn't great (a day, tops, unless in aeroplane mode) but I said I'd not replace it until it was no longer fit for purpose and... It still is.

Shame. I really want to get a pixel! 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2944
    I must be quite lucky - I'm rocking a roughly 4 year old nexus 4, and it's still great. It did go through a phase of crashing earlier in the year but that's stopped and it's pretty stable. Runs a pretty new version of Android too.

Obviously it's not all singing and dancing, battery life isn't great (a day, tops, unless in aeroplane mode) but I said I'd not replace it until it was no longer fit for purpose and... It still is.

I think Nexus 4 stopped getting updates around Lollipop (Android 5). Oreo has just come out (Android 8). Although to be fair, you're not missing much, Oreo has fucked me off more than any other Android iteration thus far.
  • Bidley said:
    I must be quite lucky - I'm rocking a roughly 4 year old nexus 4, and it's still great. It did go through a phase of crashing earlier in the year but that's stopped and it's pretty stable. Runs a pretty new version of Android too.

I think Nexus 4 stopped getting updates around Lollipop (Android 5). Oreo has just come out (Android 8). Although to be fair, you're not missing much, Oreo has fucked me off more than any other Android iteration thus far.

Huh, just goes to show how little we "need" extra features.

The only thing I hate on my phone is the camera really. The screen colours are far nicer than the nasty, over saturated look on Samsung handsets, but the camera itself is arse. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    Mad price aside, what's put me off the X is the new use of ApplePay, it's a feature I use near enough every day. Bring the phone to the reader, NFC kicks in and it wants my thumb print, all done very quickly in one swift movement. 

From the keynote (or at least what I saw), you have to double press a side button to bring up ApplePay, perform face recognition to authorise then move to the reader, feels like a step backwards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Shite!
    I've just spilled my  £3.50 Starbucks on my £1K iPhone... "
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16858
    edited September 2017
    My wife has a doppelgänger who she claims looks nothing like her.  I want her to get one just so I can see if her lookalikes face unlocks the phone.

i shave my beard off once or twice a year.  My youngest daughter struggles to recognise me.  I wonder how the iPhone would cope?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They seem pretty confident this face recognition thing will work as your appearance changes. They've probably factored in varying facial hair.

It does sound a bit of a faff to unlock it compared to a subtle finger or thumb on the home button. I predict a flurry of people looking stupid, frustratingly gurning into their phones.

---
    Sent from my iPhone X
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    It seems stupid to me to me as the face recognition depends on the camera working, so if the camera lens gets obscured or broken you can't open your phone. With a 5 the home button was a push to make switch, you could short the 2 sprung terminals if the home button was broke, the other phones after had the bio but in essence still a push to make switch to operate as a home button ....  Pretty much fool proof. Face recognition is clever for clever's sake.

Mugging wise there's no point mugging someones iPhone as there's no way round iCloud lock. Yes you can force an iPhone into recovery mode and wipe and reload it without knowing the pin code but you won't be able to use the phone as anything other than a paper weight unless you know the iCloud user name and password. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited September 2017
    PVO_Dave said:
    Mad price aside, what's put me off the X is the new use of ApplePay, it's a feature I use near enough every day. Bring the phone to the reader, NFC kicks in and it wants my thumb print, all done very quickly in one swift movement. 

From the keynote (or at least what I saw), you have to double press a side button to bring up ApplePay, perform face recognition to authorise then move to the reader, feels like a step backwards. 
    Danny1969 said:
    It seems stupid to me to me as the face recognition depends on the camera working, so if the camera lens gets obscured or broken you can't open your phone. With a 5 the home button was a push to make switch, you could short the 2 sprung terminals if the home button was broke, the other phones after had the bio but in essence still a push to make switch to operate as a home button ....  Pretty much fool proof. Face recognition is clever for clever's sake.

Mugging wise there's no point mugging someones iPhone as there's no way round iCloud lock. Yes you can force an iPhone into recovery mode and wipe and reload it without knowing the pin code but you won't be able to use the phone as anything other than a paper weight unless you know the iCloud user name and password. 

Apple had wanted to put some magic fingerprint sensor under the glass but couldn't perfect it in time; problems with reliability, yield and cost - according to the internets. EDIT: The face thing was their backup, or rather it was never intended to replace the finger print sensor but they clearly had been working on it for some reasons, but probably not for unlocking.

Next year...
  • I'm not sure the iPhone X is for me. I'm still mourning the death of the physical keyboard, and have been tempted on more than one occasion to ditch my S6 and fire up my old trusty BlackBerry Q10. The google swipe keyboard is OK, a vast improvement over any other virtual keyboard I've used.

Having said that, if I can get a free or cheap iPhone 6S next April then I may try it.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited September 2017
    every report on the (£1149 UK retail price) Ten (Apple refer to it vocally as the Ten not X) is this face recognition aspect and that some of that technology is used to take a snapshot of your face at any given time and take a stab at what emotion you are displaying at convert that into an animated emoji which is attached to your msgs.... Big fcucking deal... (I tried to attach a forum emoji to accompany this missive but it doesn't work!)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    every report on the (£1149 UK retail price) Ten (Apple refer to it vocally as the Ten not X) is this face recognition aspect and that some of that technology is used to take a snapshot of your face at any given time and take a stab at what emotion you are displaying at convert that into an animated emoji which is attached to your msgs.... Big fcucking deal... (I tried to attach a forum emoji to accompany this missive but it doesn't work!)

Yeah, it sounds like some very expensive gimmicks...

It'll sell like hot cakes though. And products like this only serve to push better kit from other manufacturers too so it's not a bad thing. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    So there's no other way to unlock the X? Just facial recognition? I thought I'd seen something about the passcode still being an option...?
  • FarleyUK said:
    So there's no other way to unlock the X? Just facial recognition? I thought I'd seen something about the passcode still being an option...?

Which is less good than the fingerprint scanner the old ones had... 
  • You can still use a passcode - when the first face unlock didn't work it popped up a passcode screen.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12009

I am sure most people here can afford one, it’s the price of 2 Strymon pedals, without much justification it can be bought with good reasons.  The problem is what I have is perfectly fine.  What I want from a phone is slightly different than what they are offering.  I really like Touch ID so taking that away actually pushes me away from the phone.  I don’t really want to hold the phone up to unlock. Sometimes a quick sneak of the phone half out of pocket is all I need with the top 10% still inside the pocket….

The little notch in the top is fine, it won’t affect much in real life.  If you think it is compromising your video viewing pleasure then you should remember you are watching it on a 5.8” screen in the fire place, not a 60” OLED 4k TV.  You are already compromised.

I can live with the lack of headphone socket as even before that happened I bought some wireless Bluetooth for running and found them perfectly fine and found the convenience much improved mainly not having anything to tangle.

I am looking to upgrade my iPhone 6, mainly like a larger screen but my choices with Apple is rather limited especially with the iPhone 8 at £800, and the Plus is almost £1k…

Then I look at how much I do with my current phone and what I do with it.

Surfing

Emails

Instagram

Facebook

Phone call – hardly ever

Messenging mostly via Facebook, WhatsApp and iMessage

Podcast

Music

YouTube

Banking

Maps and Navigation

Using it as boarding pass

Paying for food with Apple Pay

Everything I can do with my current phone, there is nothing new here that can justify £1,000 apart from having a more snappier new phone.

So….I ordered myself an Android phone, £180, 2k screen with 4,000 mAh battery, latest Android 7.1.1 and still have Touch ID and the only thing missing is NFC for apple pay.

If I hate the user experience after 2 weeks I’ll go back to my iPhone 6.  

• I think I was the first person I knew to adopt Android phones way back, and I loved how open and how much customization there was and couldn't see why anyone would want to be limited by IOS.

Fast forward a few years and I have an iPad Air2,  iMac, iPhone 6 and an apple watch. I got bored of the android devices crashing or the apps not doing what I needed them to do.  So far Apple has just worked everytime I've needed them to.

But, I cant see my buying the X.  its too much money for me and the face ID thing is a huge turn off. I use touch ID everyday with apple pay because its either on my wrist via my watch or on my phone, its quicker than getting my wallet out my back pocket and searching for the bank card, plus its safer. Face ID as i understand it means this way of paying just got less convenient and more time consuming , plus I like the home button!

Some of my friends have the 7 with force touch and I hate that also, I didnt go for the 7 as it didnt seem much more of a leap than the 6.  The 8 peeks my interest perhaps.  Not due my upgrade until late December/early January so will keep an eye on on reports of the X and face recognition.