Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iPhone X then?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    grungebob said:
    I think I was the first person I knew to adopt Android phones way back, and I loved how open and how much customization there was and couldn't see why anyone would want to be limited by IOS.

Fast forward a few years and I have an iPad Air2,  iMac, iPhone 6 and an apple watch. I got bored of the android devices crashing or the apps not doing what I needed them to do.  So far Apple has just worked everytime I've needed them to.

But, I cant see my buying the X.  its too much money for me and the face ID thing is a huge turn off. I use touch ID everyday with apple pay because its either on my wrist via my watch or on my phone, its quicker than getting my wallet out my back pocket and searching for the bank card, plus its safer. Face ID as i understand it means this way of paying just got less convenient and more time consuming , plus I like the home button!

Some of my friends have the 7 with force touch and I hate that also, I didnt go for the 7 as it didnt seem much more of a leap than the 6.  The 8 peeks my interest perhaps.  Not due my upgrade until late December/early January so will keep an eye on on reports of the X and face recognition.

This is me. I had androids for years - had issues with every single one. 

Had iPhone's the last two phones I've had and just find them a lot more user friendly. Although my wife has just upgraded to the S8 and it is rather lovely. 

I'd have an 8, but have no interest in the 10, the FaceID is completely pointless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    grungebob said:
    I think I was the first person I knew to adopt Android phones way back, and I loved how open and how much customization there was and couldn't see why anyone would want to be limited by IOS.

Fast forward a few years and I have an iPad Air2,  iMac, iPhone 6 and an apple watch. I got bored of the android devices crashing or the apps not doing what I needed them to do.  So far Apple has just worked everytime I've needed them to.

But, I cant see my buying the X.  its too much money for me and the face ID thing is a huge turn off. I use touch ID everyday with apple pay because its either on my wrist via my watch or on my phone, its quicker than getting my wallet out my back pocket and searching for the bank card, plus its safer. Face ID as i understand it means this way of paying just got less convenient and more time consuming , plus I like the home button!

Some of my friends have the 7 with force touch and I hate that also, I didnt go for the 7 as it didnt seem much more of a leap than the 6.  The 8 peeks my interest perhaps.  Not due my upgrade until late December/early January so will keep an eye on on reports of the X and face recognition.

My first iPhone was the original and to get it at the time,  you basically buy it for £130 and sign up to a contract when the phone is connected to iTunes for the first time.  There were ways to get round that and activate the phone by Jailbreaking which is what I did.  So you just paid for the phone for £130….iPhone for £130…imagine that.

What came with jailbreaking is the ability to customise the iPhone.  I did it for a few OS update but it became a chore as some icon packs do not have all the icons and thus it was not tidy so in the end I just left it standard ever since.  The samey samey look actually became good because it means its same for everyone.  It’s like the difference between My Space and Facebook.  Facebook has quite locked down but that’s the beauty of it.  Spend less time customising, and once you get used to the look of the interface, it becomes familiar no matter what it was to begin with.

I will see how I get on without NFC in the new Android phone, I can always go back to my iPhone 6 which I think is the last of the best iPhone, before it got to like £700+

• iPhone 8 plus for me I think, come upgrade next month (from iPhone 6S plus). (Better camera, my only camera).

Can't get excited about face recognition given the extra steps it seems to need. 

Shame, as the smaller size but larger screen size could have been a winner. 

• prowla said:
    1k for a phone is a sure sign of a world gone mad. 

It's not a phone, though, is it?

It's an internet browser,
    a Sat-Nav,
    a music store,
    a wallet,
    a load of shop & restaurant loyalty/discount cards,
    an email service,
    a compass,
    a level,
    a game of cards,
    a TV set,
    an alarm clock,
    a camera,
    a movie camera,
    a messaging service,
    a watch,
    a stopwatch,
    etc...
    ...and a phone.

All in one compact unit.
    So. It does all the things my iPhone 6 does for seven hundred quid more?

Take my money.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The naming convention is now screwed.
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    J Phone is next surely ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

They'll take Microsoft's lead.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They might do an 8s, they won't do any 9s. Then the next X will just be "iPhone"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    iPhone X One X!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    The naming convention is now screwed.
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    iPhone X One X!!
    Only 1% of people are smart enough to get this joke.
    Click here to find out why.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    iPhone X One X!!
    Only 1% of people are smart enough to get this joke.
    Click here to find out why.
    "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

But I knew what it was before I clicked it :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    iPhone X One X!!
    iPhone True Historic. iPhone R6..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.
    I suspect Apple wanted to mark the tenth anniversary by calling this one the ten - or X. The naming convention has been screwed mainly by the second iPhone being called the 3G then by the tick tock dev cycle where each second year was an iteration or the previous, 4, 4s; 5, 5s...

Pretty sure it will be the XI next. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

usedtobe said:
    So we'll get maybe 
    8s 9 9s what then?
    10 is already taken.

IPhone 360.

Then then iPhone One. 
    iPhone X One X!!
    iPhone True Historic. iPhone R6..
    So long as they don't introduce a relic - pre-bent and with a cracked screen straight out the box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Choosing between iPhones and flagship Samsungs are just down to personal preference and the liking of either Android or iOS. 
    I do find the cameras on Samsung far superior though. Especially in poor lighting. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11480
    Choosing between iPhones and flagship Samsungs are just down to personal preference and the liking of either Android or iOS. 
    I do find the cameras on Samsung far superior though. Especially in poor lighting. 
    My wife has got one of the cheaper Samsungs.  That's pretty much as good as one of the higher end ones from 2 or 3 years ago.  It's a lot better than mine, and mine was one of the more expensive ones when it was new.  I'm probably not the target market for these high end phones, but I don't really understand the need for spending £700 plus on something that will be available for around £200 in 2 or 3 years time.

There are really good phones available for around £200 these days that do everything you want a phone to do - unless you want a really high end camera, or think animojis are important.  Apple are probably shooting themselves in foot by having nothing even remotely close to this price range.  As the technology matures, most people aren't going to buy new phones every time there is a new model.  How many people in this thread are saying they will keep their existing iPhone for a while longer?  Going forwards, with mature technology, there is no reason people won't be keeping phones for 4 or 5 years.

As the hardware market slows down, Apple need to be getting as many users as possible signed up to paying a monthly fee for iCloud.  That means getting as many users as possible, which means some more sensibly priced phones alongside the silly priced ones at the high end.  If they don't then they will keep losing market share.  At some point they will become a bit part player.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    The big difference is the margin Apple can make on a product compared to their rivals. Samsung can probably sell more phones buy they don't make as much money on each one so not a richer company for it. You can't judge a companies success on sales, 10 billion phones sold means nothing if you only made a tiny profit on each as that will be eaten up in running costs. 

Apple can sell you a technically inferior product but make you pay more for it ..... what a talent that is :) There's people won't buy anything else even if the latest iphone cost £300 more than the latest Android phone ...... that's why the  company is worth so much
    In fairness up to now with the exception of the cameras I think they have made the best quality phones, that's not being a fan boy, that's being an engineer and knowing exactly how they are built. With wireless charging though the design used for the last 5 phones will come to an end and I doubt there will be much difference between any of the top phones in construction. 

As a working muso though, all cameras, OS, memory difference, screen differences aside the iPhone is the only phone that works with all major digital mixing desks so if nothing else I'm gonna be using one for that 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Is wireless charging actually worth using now? Last time I used it, it took a day to get 15 minutes charge (somewhat of an exaggeration but it was shite).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm very torn about what to get - I need new phone asap.

I wasn't seeing any features on the 8+ that I fussed about so might get a 7+ instead - but when I compare prices on the 02 upgrade it works out cheaper to get the 8+  at £67/mo vs £68 for the 7+     I'd rather buy a cheap phone and stay sim only ideally but it looks like they are pushing the new models.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    Next one they could just call it XI, and then so forth.  You can call it X one or call it eleven but not paper it will go on to X2 etc and give themselves a decade more of numbering system.