Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited August 2019
    This thread's hilarious, just how hard can it be to buy a car. We decided to get a new car late feb this year (budget about £9000), within two weeks had a new car and had sold the old one, job done!

This line at 18 seconds from a classic Bottom sketch keeps running through my head whenever i read Emp's latest attempts to buy a car....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Octafish said:
    This thread's hi;larious, just how hard can it be to buy a car. We decided to get a new car late feb this year (budget about £9000), within two weeks had a new car and had sold the old one, job done!

This line from a classic Bottom sketch keeps running through my head whenever i read Emp's latest attempts to buy a car....

Buying a car isn't difficult, but there is an exception to everything.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    You do know, don't you all? That if there's anything wrong with a car after he's bought it on one of yours recommendations he'll blame you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    You do know, don't you all? That if there's anything wrong with a car after he's bought it on one of yours recommendations he'll blame you.

That has crossed my mind and why I have stopped now...I was so confident with the MX-5 I was going to get that myself.

Personally though any used car I buy I don't expect it to be perfect and I would take it for a service immediately, wheel alignment, perhaps new tyres if they are worn.  
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Friday then. Final day. I think we should take a forum vote to give Emp a weekend extension. Nobody wants to see a No Car Deal Friday. We must act now!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    As legendary as this thread is... and much as I wouldn’t want it to end either...

There’s no need for any kind of slanging match and calling people dicks at all. 

Keep the conversation on topic, try to keep the emotions toned down a bit and if you really feel you have to call someone a dick then try stepping away for a few hours, calm down and don’t post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

I posted that idea of going to the dealer to get the service history at 8:30am, his post calling me a dick is 8:43am.  Yet he only quoted the first post, acknowledges my solution in the 2nd but concentrated on the first one on its own as some kind of "confrontation".

I don't think he wants to buy a car at all but needs must, so he is forced to buy a car and deep down it really upsets him.  So all kinds of excuses pops up as "reasons" not to get a car.  Not sure why, he has a spanner and a ODB-II reader.   ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK - this really is the final countdown....  I absolutely, must, without any exception, be the owner of a car before midnight Friday.  There is no alternative this time, no delay, no excuse.  
    No Delay, No Excuses.

Car maintenance record online is 100% an excuse...

9 hours to go.
    Is it bollocks.  It's not "online" - implying all I have to do is hop into their website.  Until your follow-up post, I had no way of establishing any service history at all.  So you're 100% being a confrontational dick - again.
    No, Your post is confrontational.  I merely quote your own words back to you.  Unless you admit your own words is confrontational.

All I have is stating a few facts to you.

Fact 1 - I quoted your own words.
    Fact 2 - Not getting a car because the Service History online is an excuse.  (if it doesn't have any service history, that would be a reason). There is a difference.
    Fact 3 - 9 hours til everything closes. 

You have a problem, I gave you a solution.

You don't like the solution, and calls me a dick.

And I AM THE DICK?

Mods, Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here we go again......................................................
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK - this really is the final countdown....  I absolutely, must, without any exception, be the owner of a car before midnight Friday.  There is no alternative this time, no delay, no excuse.  
    No Delay, No Excuses.

Car maintenance record online is 100% an excuse...

9 hours to go.
    Is it bollocks.  It's not "online" - implying all I have to do is hop into their website.  Until your follow-up post, I had no way of establishing any service history at all.  So you're 100% being a confrontational dick - again.
    No, Your post is confrontational.  I merely quote your own words back to you.  Unless you admit your own words is confrontational.

All I have is stating a few facts to you.

Fact 1 - I quoted your own words.
    Fact 2 - Not getting a car because the Service History online is an excuse.  (if it doesn't have any service history, that would be a reason). There is a difference.
    Fact 3 - 9 hours til everything closes. 

You have a problem, I gave you a solution.

You don't like the solution, and calls me a dick.

And I AM THE DICK?

Mods, Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here we go again......................................................
    And the post that triggered that was me telling him he can go to Mazda to get a printout of the service history.

I mean, really?

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Please everyone don't spoil the fun - this is the best bit of comedy I've seen in a very long time and I've got to find out the ending.
    gubble said:
    Please everyone don't spoil the fun - this is the best bit of comedy I've seen in a very long time and I've got to find out the ending.
    But there is no ending!

That's the fun!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    gubble said:
    I've got to find out the ending.
    Spoiler alert.

Emp completely rejects fossil fuel/electric motor vehicles and opts for one of those Amish horse and buggies.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited August 2019
    Kilgore said:
    gubble said:
    I've got to find out the ending.
    Spoiler alert.

Emp completely rejects fossil fuel/electric motor vehicles and opts for one of those Amish horse and buggies.
    He’d just complain that the previous owner did not keep all the old horseshoes and saddle/bridle.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    No hay fed... grass fed only please.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Emp_Fab said:
    jaytmon said:
    jaytmon said:

What you mean this one? Come on dude, if you’re gonna ask for suggestions at least check them out....

My apologies mate.  I must have checked out your suggestion as it was in my favourites!  I just didn't stop to think why it was there  :)
    No worries chap, hope it’s better than the farmyard one!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Don't be hasty, you might just miss out on a trend
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00076tp
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Getting tense now.....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    edited August 2019
    This is it ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Mazda service history is digital. You have to contact them to check / print this history.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Mazda service history is digital. You have to contact them to check / print this history.
    Bad not having a book to get stamps in if you want to go to an independent garage.