Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Golfs are comfortable, for Gods sake man just try one... real experience beats internet reviews. 

If comfort is an issue don’t try any car on flashy big rims. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Golf ride quality is great, particularly the ones with multilink rear suspension.

Just try a Golf on 16" rims.

If you want air suspension comfort then you're going to get air suspension reliability and running costs.

This has got well past the point of being a unicorn hunt.

At least you have a car though, and it's likely that your sheer inability to make a decision means you'll have the Honda well into 2020
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    edited October 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    So let me get this straight.....  You are dismissing all internet reviews ?   And how exactly did it not work last time ?
    I think the suggestion is to drive one yourself, and let your own arse be the judge. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    edited October 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    So let me get this straight.....  You are dismissing all internet reviews ?   And how exactly did it not work last time ?
    Not at all.
    Internet reviews can give you information you miss or cannot find out in a test drive.
    But you are doing it backwards, you are limiting yourself to one or two options and then finding reasons to not buy before test driving.

The smart way, and the way basically everyone is tell you to do it, is to come up with a shortlist that will work, going and test driving them, whittle that down to a few options and then use the Internet find out of there is anything crucially wrong with the specific model/year you are buying that might end up costing you money.

You are also trying to get a quart from a pint pot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    I’ve always found the Golf to be cramped and uncomfortable. Seems a lot of money for something that’s less pleasant to sit in than a Daewoo Matiz. 
    Based on above comments I’m alone in this but that’s the point of trying for yourself. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    Way back when Mk5 Golfs were new I had a GTD on trial. It was rejected as the ride was rock hard. The non sporty SE (?) may be more compliant.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, seeing as lots of people on here (ie. 'the internet') recommended a Civic and you ultimately bought one, most likely based on these suggestions? How did that work out? Just go and drive some cars and make your own mind up?
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Aren't cars at this price point either practical and functional or track toys? 
    HerrMetal said:
    Way back when Mk5 Golfs were new I had a GTD on trial. It was rejected as the ride was rock hard. The non sporty SE (?) may be more compliant.
    You couldn't have. GTD came with the Mk6. 
    The GTD does have the firmer suspension from the GTI though.

I found the Mk5 Golf to be more compliant than the similar era Focus, and about the same as my i30
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    strtdv said:
    HerrMetal said:

I found the Mk5 Golf to be more compliant than the similar era Focus, and about the same as my i30
    Well whatever the sporty diesel Golf was called in 2006'ish the ride was rock hard so I didn't get one
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27663
    HerrMetal said:
    strtdv said:
    HerrMetal said:

Well whatever the sporty diesel Golf was called in 2006'ish the ride was rock hard so I didn't get one
    Hair splitting.

The mk4 & mk5 was termed a GT TDI. We had a 51plate GT TDI for a few years, and a mighty fine car it was too.

It morphed into the GTD with the mk6.

None is likely to tick the Emp’s arse criteria though.  

However, the SE model - without the firmer GT* seats & suspension, ought to.  

Whether he can find a decent one, with low miles and immaculate never-had-a-MOT-advisory history within his budget is a different challenge...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited October 2019
    I’ve got a VW caddy of 2007 vintage that gets used for tip run/ikea/other moving crap duty.

It cost about £1k and it’s great. Loads of room in the back and I reckon I could drive it full tilt over a speed bump and not notice. 

The cracking 60bhp engine is frugal and gives me a brilliant 0-60 time of sometime next week.

Get one of them.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
    Get a Volvo, they also have the best seats.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10322

This. Supremely comfortable seats. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

This. Supremely comfortable seats. 

I also have a Volvo. The seats are more comfortable than the caddy, but there’s nowhere to keep a week old copy of the Sun, 2000 receipts, 4 litre bottles of Asda Cola and 30 Yorkie bars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    Yes for the Mk6 you got the GTD/GTI, and the GT in both petrol and diesel variants. The GT got a bit softer compared to the Mk5.

For the Mk5 you had the GTI as a standalone, then the GT in both 1.4 twincharged petrol and 2.0 diesel versions. These had the same lower suspension as the GTI and "GT" badging on the steering wheel.

For the MK4 you had the GTI, then the GT in petrol and diesel, but with no particular special badging (other than the red "di" in Tdi). I've no idea what suspension was in them
    Tbh I'd avoid a Mk4 as they're the worst of the Golfs.

If it were my money I'd get a Mk5 Match edition. Suspension isn't hard, seats are comfortable (to me anyway), it's got everything you need (automatic wipers and headlights, air con, bluetooth prep) and if it's a well looked after one they'll drive very nicely too. We loved ours (my wife ran one for 7 years with no issues). It was better to drive than my newer i30 too.
    Servicing at an independent garage was cheap, it got decent fuel economy, and parts are widely available and not very expensive (all we needed in 7 years was a rear caliper and a wing mirror indicator).
    Get one that's had the cambelt done recently

The main things to be aware of on a Mk5 Golf are rust on the sills, and rust on the front wheel arches (more common on diesel models, and worse on the nearside arch than the offside). These were sometimes replaced under warranty by VW, as it was due to engine vibration making a baffle vibrate against the arch, gradually wearing through the paint.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    strtdv said:
    Yes for the Mk6 you got the GTD/GTI, and the GT in both petrol and diesel variants. The GT got a bit softer compared to the Mk5.

For the Mk5 you had the GTI as a standalone, then the GT in both 1.4 twincharged petrol and 2.0 diesel versions. These had the same lower suspension as the GTI and "GT" badging on the steering wheel.

For the MK4 you had the GTI, then the GT in petrol and diesel, but with no particular special badging (other than the red "di" in Tdi). I've no idea what suspension was in them
    Tbh I'd avoid a Mk4 as they're the worst of the Golfs.

If it were my money I'd get a Mk5 Match edition. Suspension isn't hard, seats are comfortable (to me anyway), it's got everything you need (automatic wipers and headlights, air con, bluetooth prep) and if it's a well looked after one they'll drive very nicely too. We loved ours (my wife ran one for 7 years with no issues). It was better to drive than my newer i30 too.
    Servicing at an independent garage was cheap, it got decent fuel economy, and parts are widely available and not very expensive (all we needed in 7 years was a rear caliper and a wing mirror indicator).
    Get one that's had the cambelt done recently

The main things to be aware of on a Mk5 Golf are rust on the sills, and rust on the front wheel arches (more common on diesel models, and worse on the nearside arch than the offside). These were sometimes replaced under warranty by VW, as it was due to engine vibration making a baffle vibrate against the arch, gradually wearing through the paint.
    Rust on the Mk 4 Golf front wheel arches was the same. My Mk 4 started bubbling at about 9 years old. I took it to the local VW dealer and they wanted me to pay about two thirds of the £500 cost to replace the wing. They have a 12 year body perforation warranty so i threatened them with trading standards and VW replaced it free of charge.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    The only downside of a Golf is that you pay a premium because people perceive them as "Cool" Vs something similarly well made but uncool like a Skoda.
  • The only downside of a Golf is that you pay a premium because people perceive them as "Cool" Vs something similarly well made but uncool like a Skoda.
    ...except a cool Golf is actually called a Scirocco.
    <space for hire>
  • Emp, why don't you try watching some Youtube unboxing videos? They're quite informative.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom