Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    So you're going to travel to London (3hrs 50mins) get a 3rd party to perform a wheel alignment, then go through the faf of buying buy a car and be home in 8 hrs.

Even for this thread that's a bit special. 

The voices say that it can be done.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited July 2019
    If you are prepared to travel a bit then there is a Veloster in Green with Auto box in St Austell (108 miles from me in West Wales!!) - this is an approved used Hyundai (Hawkins Motors, St Austell) - have you even attempted speaking to a local Hyundai dealer to see if they have access to the UK approved stock - this is the experience I have had with BMW/Merc/Audi (ok, I admit a higher price bracket) - they will get a car down for you from the national approved used stock if you are serious. 

If you are concerned about damage etc then you are looking in the wrong places - shady dealers from AT are not the places to be looking - they buy them at auction, give them a wash and put them out on the forecourt whilst crossing their fingers behind their back that it won't break in the 1 month means fuck all warranty they give you...

At least with an approved used car you get some form of push back if needed and I won't buy elsewhere.

And another thing.....if you were buying a high performance supercar then I can understand the inspection piece (I did it with my 911), but we are talking a 2nd hand Hyundai here not a Bugatti
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    welshboyo said:
    If you are prepared to travel a bit then there is a Veloster in Green with Auto box in St Austell (108 miles from me in West Wales!!) 
    As the seagull flies :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    TTony said:

Has he done the right thing 
    LOLz.

Has he done any thing?
    He's posted a poll about colour
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    welshboyo said:
    If you are prepared to travel a bit then there is a Veloster in Green with Auto box in St Austell (108 miles from me in West Wales!!) 
    As the seagull flies :)
    Probably a seagull has more car buying sense than Emp....

If he wants a specific car in specific colour and specific condition then he needs to travel...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    @LordOxygen With all due respect, a test drive will not show up wheel alignment toe issues unless they resemble Marty Feldman’s eyes.  It will also not show up any issues with camber angle, the most likely to be out if the car has hit a kerb hard (which the advisories suggest may have happened).  The only way to tell is a proper four wheel laser alignment check.  As for the distance, that’s not an issue.  Due to the proximity of railway stations at both ends, I can be at the dealers 3h50m after leaving my house.  I could have the car parked outside in a third of any 24h period.

I’m not going to buy a car that has been hit so hard it’s distorted the suspension, hence my desire to check properly.
    With all due respect, and I think everyone agrees, this isn't just me.

You are utterly clueless. 

It is not me being a 12 year old, a 12 year old would have called you something else.  I am telling you the truth which you don't like.

3 and a half months and you have taken a single piece of advice on board.  

Clueless and will continue to be because of the sheer arrogance and stubbornness to accept help and the truth.   All we get is excuses on why we are wrong, people who actually bought cars.  All we hear is how you somehow can fix it yourself when you haven't opened a bonnet up in 30 years.  All we hear is how you keep finding absurd excuses to reject a car.  Now all we are hearing is you making up ridiculous scenarios how you can spot problems and fix a car that you don't own over 200 miles away.

I have never seen a tyre kicker of this magnitude. 

Clueless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I shall be praying for you tonight, Mrs Fab. 
    FTFY
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    celentium said:
    Blatent troll job now, nobody is this incompetent. 
    I am.  :)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    welshboyo said:
    If you are prepared to travel a bit then there is a Veloster in Green with Auto box in St Austell (108 miles from me in West Wales!!) - this is an approved used Hyundai (Hawkins Motors, St Austell) - have you even attempted speaking to a local Hyundai dealer to see if they have access to the UK approved stock - this is the experience I have had with BMW/Merc/Audi (ok, I admit a higher price bracket) - they will get a car down for you from the national approved used stock if you are serious. 

If you are concerned about damage etc then you are looking in the wrong places - shady dealers from AT are not the places to be looking - they buy them at auction, give them a wash and put them out on the forecourt whilst crossing their fingers behind their back that it won't break in the 1 month means fuck all warranty they give you...

At least with an approved used car you get some form of push back if needed and I won't buy elsewhere.

And another thing.....if you were buying a high performance supercar then I can understand the inspection piece (I did it with my 911), but we are talking a 2nd hand Hyundai here not a Bugatti
    Thanks for the heads-up @welshboyo ; What's so special about "approved stock" then?  Why am I likely to get more "pushback" than from an independent?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26623
    Emp_Fab said:
    welshboyo said:

Thanks for the heads-up @welshboyo ; What's so special about "approved stock" then?  Why am I likely to get more "pushback" than from an independent?
    Because approved dealers will care much more about the brand and their own reputation, and thus are much less likely to sell you a lemon - plus you get a certain amount of after-sales support into the bargain. Your average AT dealer doesn't really care as long as it doesn't come back quickly, and after the "warranty" period's gone they'll act like they never met you in the first place.
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2019
    Approved used you are getting it from the brand, generally more protection and comes with actual warranty that is worth the paper it is written on and will fix things for you should they arise, whereas an independent will try their best to ignore you aftersale.

edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    welshboyo said:

Thanks for the heads-up @welshboyo ;;; What's so special about "approved stock" then?  Why am I likely to get more "pushback" than from an independent?
    Pushback being you have more of chance of getting stuff sorted as its brand reputation - my last Merc is a good case in point - I missed the fact it had less than adequate tyre brands on the rear (this was a 300bhp + car) until I got it home and it felt a little unsettled under accelaration - phoned the dealer (Sinclair), car was back with them next morning having a brand new set of Conti Sports fitted free of charge - as they tend to advertise the fact the cars go through a "multi-point" dealer inspection - when something misses they don't only put the brand's reputation in a bad place but also the dealership..

Approved Stock all the way for me, they are all crooks at the end of the day but at least you have a little more chance of half decent Customer Service from a main dealer in my experience - an indy will just try and wiggle every which way possible to keep and maintain their profit margin..

My current BMW is an approved used - I actually had sight of the prep work internal costs it had to make it showroom condition - new tyres (to BMW spec - so Dunlop SP Sports all round  -20 inchers too), brakes all round, big service, alloys tart up etc - not something an indy would do for certain - I've even had the salesman check in with me a few times to make sure all is OK, happy with the car etc - really really good service (Sytner btw)

Approved Used tend to be vetted a little better - they have thresholds that keep them within the dealership network - owners, FSH, no accident damage usually - probably varies between brands though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited July 2019
     Fat fingers
    edited July 2019
    Fat fingers
    edited July 2019

welshboyo said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    welshboyo said:

Thanks for the heads-up @welshboyo ;;;;; What's so special about "approved stock" then?  Why am I likely to get more "pushback" than from an independent?
    Pushback being you have more of chance of getting stuff sorted as its brand reputation - my last Merc is a good case in point - I missed the fact it had less than adequate tyre brands on the rear (this was a 300bhp + car) until I got it home and it felt a little unsettled under accelaration - phoned the dealer (Sinclair), car was back with them next morning having a brand new set of Conti Sports fitted free of charge - as they tend to advertise the fact the cars go through a "multi-point" dealer inspection - when something misses they don't only put the brand's reputation in a bad place but also the dealership..

Approved Stock all the way for me, they are all crooks at the end of the day but at least you have a little more chance of half decent Customer Service from a main dealer in my experience - an indy will just try and wiggle every which way possible to keep and maintain their profit margin..

My current BMW is an approved used - I actually had sight of the prep work internal costs it had to make it showroom condition - new tyres (to BMW spec - so Dunlop SP Sports all round  -20 inchers too), brakes all round, big service, alloys tart up etc - not something an indy would do for certain - I've even had the salesman check in with me a few times to make sure all is OK, happy with the car etc - really really good service (Sytner btw)

Approved Used tend to be vetted a little better - they have thresholds that keep them within the dealership network - owners, FSH, no accident damage usually - probably varies between brands though.

That's all far too sensible.

I think he should ring Caterham right now and begin discussing the option of buying kit car to make at home. 
    Dropping in phrases like camber angle during the call will no doubt identify him as a seriously knowledgeable chap that knows exactly what's what when it come to cars.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Oy, WasteofOxygen, stop being a snide little tit eh ?  If you can’t play nice, fuck off.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Lol, the name calling starts when another person realises he is the only one in the room being unreasonable.

There only one tit here and it’s the one not being nice calling people names and swearing. The irony is certainly strong.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    [Modmin hat on]

The flag count on this thread is rising. 

Light hearted ribbing is fine - as Emp himself has said, but direct insults and snide comments are not. 

Lets hope it stops, or this thread won’t reach 53 pages...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I would rather any further offending posts were edited or removed than using the sledgehammer of shutting the whole thread down.  Some of us are having a bit of fun here (plus, believe it or not, I’m learning stuff).

Thanks for the intervention @Bridgehouse.
    edited July 2019
    Then perhaps stop telling another person the F off.