Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    What was the outcome of the colour poll?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    He’s going to wait for a cut-n-shut to pop up on autotrader. Front half green, rear half yellow. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    He’s going to wait for a cut-n-shut to pop up on autotrader. Front half green, rear half yellow. 
    No, he'd prefer the rear half green and the front half yellow. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Just in case anyone didn’t get @Roland ‘s finely crafted hitchhikers reference, I’ll be blunt. 

This forum is run and managed by volunteers. As a mod, I put a reasonable amount of time in to make it work for all you guys. @digitalscream on the other hand puts in an obscene amount of time and has to put up with an unbelievable mountain of crap to make sure it runs how it does. 

It’s a guitar forum. It’s for talking about a common interest that we all love. That’s it’s primary purpose and that’s why we put the hours in for free. The off topic sections are there because we know a lot of the members love what they add to the experience and on many occasions they advise, help and assist many members with the things that affect us all in life (yeah, even buying a car).

We ask very little in return from all members - in fact, we pretty much only ask that you play nice and treat everyone with some simple courtesy and respect. 

We don’t like it when it becomes a platform for passive aggressive behaviour, bullying, sniping, and all other behaviours that don’t follow that simple ask from above - play nice and be courteous and respectful. 

This thread has (at times) strayed from the good natured and humorous ribbing into something quite different - and has been flagged by many members for this. It’s not the only thread that this has happened in recently. 

I’m a pretty tolerant guy, and it takes a lot to get me riled - us modmins generally are - you kinda have to be like this to do the job. But we all have a limit. You can snipe and question and demand and expect as much as you like - but there is a point where we reach the limit of our tolerance. 

@Roland ‘s point was simple - membership here is a privilege not a right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    I just found a great car on Auto Trader. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907079816648?atmobcid=soc3 Download the app to find your perfect car. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch&referrer=utm_source=App%20Share

Low mileage ,1 owner who you can actually talk to, full service history. 

I prefer one owner private sales to little dodgy traders, might be worth a peek. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Green: 286,475,291
    Yellow: 286,475,291

Official recount, audit and analysis of the software.

There is also a suspicion that some people may have voted more than once.

It doesn't matter though, Emp has seen one in a rather fetching Baltic blue.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    welshboyo said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Is there?  My response was genuine!  I'll readily hold my hand up to the charge of being incompetent at buying a car!

I mean, look at it!  I'm clearly utterly useless at making a decision!  Fifty-odd pages of lurching from one decision to the next!

Hand-on-heart - I'm not trolling!  I really am this indecisive!  You should see me in the Chinese takeaway!  Over a hundred dishes to choose from!!

I remember going there one night with a mate and we were so indecisive (and stoned!) we came out of there with nothing more than one carton of boiled rice and a bottle of coke..... between us!
    So...if we see a “buying a Chinese?” thread should we stay away?

If you're @Phil_aka_Pip , definitely!!

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2019
    Roland said:
    [slartibartfast mode] Those of us who haven’t got tinnitus might be hearing a faint tinkling. That’s the sound of the key ring which @Bridgehouse has just passed to me. The cooler keys themselves have more of a jangle.

For frequent visitors we also have an oubliette. That doesn’t have a key, but the stone slab grates as we slide it open. @digitalscream has borrowed my crowbar, but I’ve got a spare somewhere.
    STFU melonhead!

Bye!

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    celentium said:
    I just found a great car on Auto Trader. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907079816648?atmobcid=soc3 Download the app to find your perfect car. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch&referrer=utm_source=App%20Share

Low mileage ,1 owner who you can actually talk to, full service history. 

I prefer one owner private sales to little dodgy traders, might be worth a peek. 
    That's a very good spot.  Well worth Emp stretching his budget just a little bit.  Probably a little bit of give from the seller too.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    The result of the poll was a perfect 50:50 split.  However I’m 100% sure you buggers engineered it that way just to mess with my head!  3

@celentium  Thanks for finding that.  Orange was a very close second to green and yellow.

However, courtesy of my fellow countryman @welshboyo who put me onto the one in Cornwall, I’m now close to sealing a deal on that car.  It’s going to be a hell of a trek to pick it up, but it’s taken me 53 pages to decide on a green (or yellow if one had turned up in time) Veloster sport automatic, and I think it’s time to actually purchase a car now.

It’s £110 and 6h30 on the train.  The only other option is a one-way car hire or a 39h flight incl layovers from Cardiff to Newquay via Newcastle and Birmingham!  Or - I charter a private flight from Swansea to Newquay.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited July 2019
    Just wondering.... what’s the range on a paraglider? (Two-up obviously!  I’ve never flown one myself).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Roland said:
    [slartibartfast mode] Those of us who haven’t got tinnitus might be hearing a faint tinkling. That’s the sound of the key ring which @Bridgehouse has just passed to me. The cooler keys themselves have more of a jangle.

For frequent visitors we also have an oubliette. That doesn’t have a key, but the stone slab grates as we slide it open. @digitalscream has borrowed my crowbar, but I’ve got a spare somewhere.
    STFU melonhead!

Surely lemon head, no?
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited July 2019
    Cue another 10 pages debating travel options to Newquay;) Well done on sticking to your guns and finding the car you always wanted.

Lol
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just wondering.... what’s the range on a paraglider? (Two-up obviously!  I’ve never flown one myself).
    I'm sure they are only limited by the fuel you can carry and I can see no reason why you couldn't strap on a couple of extra jerry cans for some mid air topping up.  Id probably investigate a gyrocopter though, much more comfortable at altitude and I believe you can get them in yellow.

MagniJPG

From Wikipeadia

• Distance in a straight line without landing: 1,105 km (687 mi) set on 23/04/2007 by Ramon Morillas Salmeron flying from Jerez de la Frontera, Cádiz (Spain) to Lanzarote, Canary Islands (Spain) with an Advance Omega 7 paraglider.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    Emp_Fab said:
    The result of the poll was a perfect 50:50 split

Well, I *never* saw that coming!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Good luck Emp! You're spending thousands of well earned pounds so fair enough to getting something you are happy with
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    The result of the poll was a perfect 50:50 split.  However I’m 100% sure you buggers engineered it that way just to mess with my head!  3

@celentium  Thanks for finding that.  Orange was a very close second to green and yellow.

However, courtesy of my fellow countryman @welshboyo who put me onto the one in Cornwall, I’m now close to sealing a deal on that car.  It’s going to be a hell of a trek to pick it up, but it’s taken me 53 pages to decide on a green (or yellow if one had turned up in time) Veloster sport automatic, and I think it’s time to actually purchase a car now.

It’s £110 and 6h30 on the train.  The only other option is a one-way car hire or a 39h flight incl layovers from Cardiff to Newquay via Newcastle and Birmingham!  Or - I charter a private flight from Swansea to Newquay.
    haha awesome!!!

I'd hire a car personally, much quicker than the train.

Just a word of caution though - make sure the car is available and prepped ready to go - you don't want to drive all the way down there to find its not ready for you to drive away - I can see the car is new in so it may be going through a presale inspection - phone them to make sure its available and if the deal is done you can drive away that day..that will also include you getting insurance sorted beforehand so you can tax before you drive away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26580
    welshboyo said:

that will also include you getting insurance sorted beforehand so you can tax before you drive away
    I always just take my laptop and my phone with me when I'm going to buy a car - so I can insure and tax it only if I decide to buy.

Always helpful to have prepared a quote ahead of time, though.
    <space for hire>
  • Roland said:

STFU melonhead!

Surely lemon head, no?
    Oh I dunno, I was drunk.

Bye!