Big flaws in film plots

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24418
I'm watching Lord of the Rings - again - and it's only just occurred to me: why didn't Frodo just chuck the ring into a deep lake?  The Nazgul didn't like water so....  problem solved!

What other "hang on a minute..." moments have you experienced in films?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited April 2019
    Erm....

You realise that Smeagol found the ring in a river right? That's his whole plot line.... he fell in the river and found the ring and eventually turned into Gollum.

So no... problem not solved.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Titanic....everyone knows that ship was unsinkable. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24418
    Well, there's a huge difference between a river you can stick your hand into and touch the bottom and a deep lake.  So, yes - problem solved.

Unless the ring was then found by Billy the Fish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Well, there's a huge difference between a river you can stick your hand into and touch the bottom and a deep lake.  So, yes - problem solved.

Unless the ring was then found by Billy the Fish.
    The ring has a mind of it's own, and it can sort of possess people. Probably fish too. So it could convince a fish to eat it and then transport it to a fewer deepers river, and then a midget hobbit could pick it up.

You need to work on your LOTR lore bruvva!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24418
    Well, it would buy him some time at least!  It could take another 2000 years to be found again.  He didn't have to be the one to destroy it - he managed that poorly imo!
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited April 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, it would buy him some time at least!  It could take another 2000 years to be found again.  He didn't have to be the one to destroy it - he managed that poorly imo!
    See the one that everyone always brings up... Gandalfario was big m8z with big ass flying eagle cunts right... So instead of deforesting a tiny Hobbit village or whatever.... why didn't Gandolfini just rent an Eagle uber and fly over the Volcano and throw the ring in.

Only thing that could go wrong is that Tom Hanks is jumping into it at exactly the same time as he drops the ring in, and the ring lands on his finger and then Tom Hanks is blown out of the Korg Volca and into the set of Shaving Private Ryan's Balls, and we all know what happens to rings when balls are involved.

Bye!

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5546
    Absolutely the Gandalf/Eagle mindfuck!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    Really? Nobody's going to mention the fact that Indiana Jones is totally unnecessary in Raiders?
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Luke Skywalker didn’t produce a birth certificate and Darth Vader didn’t submit to a DNA test. 

Sham Wars. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I like plot flaws in films. It gives me a chance to practice my screaming and shaking my fist at the screen.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7084
    Empire Strikes Back.  Utterly, utterly massive plot hole.

The rebels flee Hoth and Luke flies off to Dagobah to train with Yoda.  Han, Leia and the others take off in the Millennium Falcon to be chased through asteroid fields and almost devoured by giant space worms before ending up at Cloud City.  After Vader captures them, Luke abandons his training to fly to Cloud City and mount a rescue attempt.

Well, that doesn’t work.  Either Jedi training is much easier than Yoda makes out (“Too old to begin the training, my arse”) and was ticked off in an afternoon, or we were spared a Special Extended Edition where the Falcon drifted along for months on end while everyone grew steadily more fragrant, the food supplies dwindled and Chewbacca began to view Han less as a best friend and more as a potentially useful source of protein.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Really? Nobody's going to mention the fact that Indiana Jones is totally unnecessary in Raiders?
    I was going to go for the angle of ‘after Indy jumps onto the Nazi submarine while it’s submerging, what happens next?  A WWII submarine isn’t exactly a spacious environment with lots of scope for hide and seek, he couldn’t just have cranked open the hatch and jumped down onto a surprised but grateful submarine crew.

But yeah, now that you mention it; if he got squished by the boulder in scene 1 the Nazis wouldn’t have got past the ‘scratching their heads in the desert’ stage.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4565
    Cols said:

But yeah, now that you mention it; if he got squished by the boulder in scene 1 the Nazis wouldn’t have got past the ‘scratching their heads in the desert’ stage.
    But they would, though.  They'd have got their hands on the actual headpiece, so would have known to make the staff shorter, found the Ark, opened it up, and still all have been melted.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1801
    The Thomas Crown Affair and the folding a framed painting into a suitcase only to get it out completely unscathed once home
    Cols said:

But they would, though.  They'd have got their hands on the actual headpiece, so would have known to make the staff shorter, found the Ark, opened it up, and still all have been melted.
    They followed Indy to Nepal and Marion’s bar - without him, they would have literally no idea where to find the headpiece.  They would have been fruitlessly looking around for her father, who is revealed to be dead.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

They followed Indy to Nepal and Marion’s bar - without him, they would have literally no idea where to find the headpiece.  They would have been fruitlessly looking around for her father, who is revealed to be dead.
    Frankly, they'd successfully traced the existence of the medallion itself and were devoting masses of resources to it. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that they couldn't figure out that the guy had a daughter, and where she might be.
    <space for hire>
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Cols said:

He was needed right at the very end to box it up and send it to Uncle Sam. He's a delivery boy. Albeit a super cool delivery boy with a whip and a hat who has to supplement his delivery income by being a professor. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    I was watching something on YouTube about toilets ( really) and the presenter was talking about how often in movies there is an attempt to drown someone in a toilet bowl. Yet if you actually look in a toilet the water level is far too low to ever do this. When I was watching The Highway Men last night yep they had a toilet bowl drowning scene. Although maybe toilets were different in the 1930s. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Frankly, they'd successfully traced the existence of the medallion itself and were devoting masses of resources to it. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that they couldn't figure out that the guy had a daughter, and where she might be.
    If you were looking for the young daughter of a distinguished professor of archaeology, ‘dingy bar in Nepal’ would be pretty far down your list of places to look.  It’s not like they could just Google her.  Sure, they might have got there in the end - but as someone said “Der Fuhrer is not a patient man”.  It’s more likely that they would’ve had their funding pulled with extreme prejudice.

Not clear how Indy knew she was there.  Maybe she sent the occasional ‘Wish you weren’t here’ postcard?
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    The biggest flaw in the Fast and Furious series is that they’re all utter shite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom