Big flaws in film plots

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• octatonic said:
    Back on LOTR- does the ring automatically resize for human or hobbit sized fingers?

yes like all sphincters

Genuine LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24483
    Out of curiosity, is there a greater tendency towards playing fast and loose with plots when the film is American rather than British ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Out of curiosity, is there a greater tendency towards playing fast and loose with plots when the film is American rather than British ?
    Anyone mention U571 yet?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Emp_Fab said:
    Heard a guy from GCHQ on a radio show (might have been the Infinite Monkey Cage) saying the "Imitation Game" got two facts correct.

There was a Second World War
    Turing's first name was Alan
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12033
    Emp_Fab said:
    Heard a guy from GCHQ on a radio show (might have been the Infinite Monkey Cage) saying the "Imitation Game" got two facts correct.

That is the nature of Biopics though, they were not going to start bringing up the non-deterministic Turing machine, or looking at the mathematics in depth, or indeed pointing out that for most of the war they sat there working, rather than movie-land's only two moods... despair and triumph.

One fo the key things it gets across is Turing's loneliness, and the horrific way he was treated when he was charged over his homosexuality.

I think they got the balance a tad wrong, for example Tywin Lannister's character was in real life apparently a nice guy who was supportive of Turing's work, the real villains were the people who took a genius war hero and tortured him post-war because he prefers penises to vaginas.  Shameful.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Anyone mention U571 yet?
    Yes,yes. We all know that Jon Bon Jovi didn't win WW2 for the Allied Powers.  :yawn:
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7137
    Emp_Fab said:

That is the nature of Biopics though, they were not going to start bringing up the non-deterministic Turing machine, or looking at the mathematics in depth, or indeed pointing out that for most of the war they sat there working, rather than movie-land's only two moods... despair and triumph.

One fo the key things it gets across is Turing's loneliness, and the horrific way he was treated when he was charged over his homosexuality.

I think they got the balance a tad wrong, for example Tywin Lannister's character was in real life apparently a nice guy who was supportive of Turing's work, the real villains were the people who took a genius war hero and tortured him post-war because he prefers penises to vaginas.  Shameful.
    Similar treatment of Captain Blythe in most versions of Mutiny on the Bounty, who was by all accounts a good fella and a bit of a hero in some respects. Just gets the shitty end of the stick coz he wanted everyone home safe and yet everyone wanted to stay and nob the natives.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12033
    Emp_Fab said:
    Anyone mention U571 yet?
    Yes,yes. We all know that Jon Bon Jovi didn't win WW2 for the Allied Powers.  :yawn:
    I turned that one off when they had a submerged submarine sink another submerged submarine, the technology to hit another submerged sub with a torpedo (advanced sonar and wire-guided torpedoes) did not exist in WW2.  In fact officially, it has never happened off the top of my head, though it might have done in sinister Cold War engagements we won't hear about for some years.  Wouldn't surprise me if the US had popped an Iranian or North Korean sub at some point.

Subs were sunk by other subs during WW2, but only when they were surfaced.  The film based it's sub combat on Hunt for Red October, and so dropped a bollock.

Plus, the story is utter nonsense, the US didn't capture any Enigma information until later in the war, and it was the RN who participated in the events in the film.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72731
    tony99 said:

Similar treatment of Captain Blythe in most versions of Mutiny on the Bounty, who was by all accounts a good fella and a bit of a hero in some respects. Just gets the shitty end of the stick coz he wanted everyone home safe and yet everyone wanted to stay and nob the natives.
    Bligh was by all accounts a very strict disciplinarian - not abnormal for the time in the Royal Navy - but a brilliant navigator and inspiring leader. The fact that after the mutiny he sailed a small open boat across about half the Pacific to reach safety and the only man lost was killed by natives at the first place they sought help shows a lot. Bligh ended his career as a Vice-Admiral.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7137
    Bligh yeah, I meant Bligh. All round good egg.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!