Big flaws in film plots

What's Hot

Comments

• Trude said:
    LOTR - I'm pretty sure that in the book it actually does describe how the ring reshapes to suit each bearer.

Obviously Peter Jackson couldn't find 30s within the whole 11 hour trilogy to include it...
    Is it by 

Magic?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Not seen it for years but i’m sure you see the ring resize at some point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    LuttiS said:
    Alien Resurrection.. the underwater scene. I used to try holding my breath for the entire scene.. couldn't even get close..

I haven't seen the film but how long is the scene? Freedivers can hold their breath underwater for insane amounts of time. 

The actual time is pretty short but as soon as they screamed or even opened their mouths they would've started drowning. 

Also they swim pretty badly. 
    Also, i'd imagine that a bunch of heavy drinking, constantly smoking, space ship crew were not at the same lung fitness level as free divers :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Jurassic park no expense spared on bringing dinosaurs back from the dead...but Hammond doesn't want to employ more than two people in IT tech support?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24483
    Not seen it for years but i’m sure you see the ring resize at some point. 
    You do.  In the opening scene of the first film, where Isildur takes the ring from the crumbling hand of Sauron, it shrinks.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5726
    DrJazzTap said:
    Jurassic park no expense spared on bringing dinosaurs back from the dead...but Hammond doesn't want to employ more than two people in IT tech support?
    They also seem to be unable to build a dinosaur cage that works in the rain and/or at night.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Also, Armageddon........ no, wait - it would first have to have a plot to have a flaw in the plot!

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12034
    Haych said:
    Also, Armageddon........ no, wait - it would first have to have a plot to have a flaw in the plot!
    Armageddon has a plot... it might be silly but it's a plot, I haven't seen it for about ten years but...

A large asteroid is seen approaching the Earth, that is due to hit it.  Earth starts getting hit by smaller asteroids carried in it's wake (causing CGI destruction and splosions).  NASA decide the only option is to send a group of oil drillers into space to dig a whole deep enough that a nuclear weapon can be dropped in and it will split the asteroid (because apparently its easier to learn to be an astronaut than an oil driller).

Alongside this, Bruce Willis doesn't want his daughter, Liv Tyler, marrying good-for-nothing Ben Affleck, because he wasn't a very good Batman, so there is a sub plot where he comes to realise Affleck is his surrogate son, and therefore the perfect sexual partner for his actual daughter...

After some hi-jinks caused by the fact being an astronaut is actually quite difficult, they manage to dig the big hole, even though at one point the government want to blow up the nuclear weapon on the surface, even though they know this won't work and it just serves to add 20 minutes to an already overlong film.  Then they put the nuke in the hole.

But wait... the auto-trigger thing wont work, so someone has to stay behind and blow it up manually.  They draw straws even though it's obviously going to be Bruce Willis who stays, everyone decides they love each other, Bruce Willis nukes himself and the asteroid gets blowned up real good.

Then Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler get married, and Aerosmith play at their wedding.

...OK it may not be a masterpiece, but it definitely has a plot! ;)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3086
    Mamma Mia - everyone climbs that hill to the church and nobody is out of breath. 

Titanic - we're all supposed to endear ourselves to the Kate Winslet character but the horrible old witch then throws the necklace into the sea. If she was so against rich people and loved poor people so much then surely she'd have sold it and given the cash to charity?

Escape To Victory - Yep, inmates of Nazi concentration camps would really be considered for selection against a German international eleven.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    Armageddon has a plot... it might be silly but it's a plot, I haven't seen it for about ten years but...

A large asteroid is seen approaching the Earth, that is due to hit it.  Earth starts getting hit by smaller asteroids carried in it's wake (causing CGI destruction and splosions).  NASA decide the only option is to send a group of oil drillers into space to dig a whole deep enough that a nuclear weapon can be dropped in and it will split the asteroid (because apparently its easier to learn to be an astronaut than an oil driller).

Alongside this, Bruce Willis doesn't want his daughter, Liv Tyler, marrying good-for-nothing Ben Affleck, because he wasn't a very good Batman, so there is a sub plot where he comes to realise Affleck is his surrogate son, and therefore the perfect sexual partner for his actual daughter...

After some hi-jinks caused by the fact being an astronaut is actually quite difficult, they manage to dig the big hole, even though at one point the government want to blow up the nuclear weapon on the surface, even though they know this won't work and it just serves to add 20 minutes to an already overlong film.  Then they put the nuke in the hole.

But wait... the auto-trigger thing wont work, so someone has to stay behind and blow it up manually.  They draw straws even though it's obviously going to be Bruce Willis who stays, everyone decides they love each other, Bruce Willis nukes himself and the asteroid gets blowned up real good.

Then Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler get married, and Aerosmith play at their wedding.

...OK it may not be a masterpiece, but it definitely has a plot! ;)

Hmm, fair enough.  I must have missed that since I was in the cinema wishing it would end and desperately trying to think of a way to leave without offending the group of people I was with and to whom I was probably driving home - hence the reason for being invited by said group in the first place.

I did try to have the cinema evacuated by starting a small fire under my seat.  However, rubbing a pair of clarks loafers together doesn't generate enough heat to cause them to combust, although it was rather more entertaining than watching the film.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12445
    Shrews said:
    Mamma Mia - everyone climbs that hill to the church and nobody is out of breath. 

Titanic - we're all supposed to endear ourselves to the Kate Winslet character but the horrible old witch then throws the necklace into the sea. If she was so against rich people and loved poor people so much then surely she'd have sold it and given the cash to charity?

Escape To Victory - Yep, inmates of Nazi concentration camps would really be considered for selection against a German international eleven.

Yeah but they included pele, bobby moore and john warke, they were good enough.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Haych said: rubbing a pair of clarks loafers together
    ......if a little squeaky......and not Code Compliant...... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12448
    Haych said:
    After this I can't watch a film without saying to myself, "that'd never work, that's stupid, when would that ever happen" etc.

I’m like that with any plot involving a dodgy lift or one that goes plummeting down a lift shaft at the slightest provocation. I worked as a lift engineer for a while and know they’re so chock full of safety systems that none of this stuff would never happen. 

And yes, I know I’m a saddo. And I still like the lift scene in The Omen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    Has nobody mentioned Back to the Future yet?

In part one when Doc Brown unveils the Delorean to Marty, Marty asks if it runs on regular unleaded to which Doc replies that it needs plutonium.  It's not until part three where Doc states that the engine has always run on gasoline.  

This line was needed to make the plot work, since by then plutonium is no longer required due to the retrofit of Mr Fusion which can use anything for fuel, but if it could use anything then Marty and Doc wouldn't be stuck in 1885, unless of course the car always needed petrol which was a bit of a bugger since it wasn't available in 1885.

EDIT: and while I think about it, by the end of part one the car was flying anyway so the actual internal combustion engine was redundant for propulsion, whether or not it had any effect on the 1.21 gigawatts needed to activate the time circuits.

Second edit, that said didn't the lightning strike at the end of part 2 screw the flying bit up a bit??

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    Everything about Transformers.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Bed Knobs and Broomsticks.. Just no way they can hold their breaths that long underwater... The cartoon characters maybe..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72731
    Any film where the hero is hanging by one hand from something and holding up the heroine with the other. Even more so if he catches the heroine as she falls.

Olympic gymnasts would struggle with that... most normal people couldn't hold their own bodyweight for more than a few seconds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited April 2019
    ICBM said:
    Any film where the hero is hanging by one hand from something and holding up the heroine with the other. Even more so if he catches the heroine as she falls.

Olympic gymnasts would struggle with that... most normal people couldn't hold their own bodyweight for more than a few seconds.
    Did'ja see Skyscraper FFS ...   

Not a recommendation.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    SRich said:
    ICBM said:

Did'ja see Skyscraper FFS ...   

Not a recommendation.
    Yeah, watched that on Monday night - amazing how well a man with only one and half legs can run, jump, fight, scale buildings etc.  It's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Also, the same film....... but after Dwayne Johnson makes himself the admin for the security suite by scanning his face on the iPad thing the thugs attempt to steal it by nabbing his bag - it would be utterly useless to them without Dwayne's face which is confirmed a few scenes later when they by accident happen to catch him (along with the iPad which he put in his pocket, not in the bag as assumed by the bad guys) and scan his face to gain access to the security suite.  

• ewalewal Frets: 2623
    Line of Duty last episode - surely the lorry carrying the gear would have a tracker fitted?

Yes I know it's not a film - same difference...