Big flaws in film plots

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4622
    OK, try this one.  Why did the Death Star have to wait to clear Yavin before destroying the Rebel Base?  Why not just blast it out of the way?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Cols said:

Not clear how Indy knew she was there.  Maybe she sent the occasional ‘Wish you weren’t here’ postcard?
    Her fretboard profile location was listed as 'dingy bar in Nepal. Thanks dad' 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    I find glaring historical inaccuracies in films particularly irksome.

In the opening scenes of Carry on Cleo, Horsa is captured by Mark Antony's (played by Sid James) forces whilst attempting to alert Boudicca of the Roman invasion.

Mark Antony was active in the conquest of Gaul but played no part in the invasion of Britain.  Additionally, Boudicca wasn't born until over 80 years after Caesars campaign.

There is no historical corroboration for the film's most famous line. Caesar's (played by Kenneth Williams) declaration: "Infamy,Infamy! They've all got it in for me". There is no mention of this in the works of Seutonius or any other Roman source, yet it has come to be accepted as fact.

You would have thought the film's historical consultant would have noticed these errors.

Now, in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7137
    Andy putting the poster back over the hole once he's entered the escape tunnel in The Shawshank Redemption.

There's just no fucking way.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    I was watching something on YouTube about toilets ( really) and the presenter was talking about how often in movies there is an attempt to drown someone in a toilet bowl. Yet if you actually look in a toilet the water level is far too low to ever do this. When I was watching The Highway Men last night yep they had a toilet bowl drowning scene. Although maybe toilets were different in the 1930s. 
    Americky toilets often have much deeper water than European ones.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Pretty thin bunch of flaws posted here. The only one with any weight is the LotR Eagle one that has been around for decades. 

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13968
    I was watching something on YouTube about toilets ( really) and the presenter was talking about how often in movies there is an attempt to drown someone in a toilet bowl. Yet if you actually look in a toilet the water level is far too low to ever do this. When I was watching The Highway Men last night yep they had a toilet bowl drowning scene. Although maybe toilets were different in the 1930s. 
    US toilets are often very different to UK ones. Typically The bowl is wider and the water a lot higher.

• tony99 said:
    Andy putting the poster back over the hole once he's entered the escape tunnel in The Shawshank Redemption.

Mind blown!!
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2428
    In Star Wars episode 7, whatever it's called, there's a scene where a bunch of people on one planet watch horrified as another planetary system is destroyed by the evil thing-that's-basically-a-deathstar-by-another-name. But of course in real life the light from that destruction would take years to reach them.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pixar Cars... WHY DO THEY HAVE DOORS!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4622
    tony99 said:

Surely it's just attached at the top?  Lift it up, climb through the hole, let it fall back down.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Really? Nobody's going to mention the fact that Indiana Jones is totally unnecessary in Raiders?

But yeah, now that you mention it; if he got squished by the boulder in scene 1 the Nazis wouldn’t have got past the ‘scratching their heads in the desert’ stage.
    But they would, though.  They'd have got their hands on the actual headpiece, so would have known to make the staff shorter, found the Ark, opened it up, and still all have been melted.
    They followed Indy to Nepal and Marion’s bar - without him, they would have literally no idea where to find the headpiece.  They would have been fruitlessly looking around for her father, who is revealed to be dead.
    Frankly, they'd successfully traced the existence of the medallion itself and were devoting masses of resources to it. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that they couldn't figure out that the guy had a daughter, and where she might be.
    One thing we've learnt from that other thread about the master race is that nazis aren't blessed with a high level of intelligence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    tony99 said:

Surely it's just attached at the top?  Lift it up, climb through the hole, let it fall back down.
    And have it not blow up in the draught from a huge hole through the outside wall of the building? No chance.

And also in Toy Story 3, how does Woody get into the box at the end?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    The Da Vinci Code.

The secret box thing with the password. Contains vinegar to ruin the paper.

Vinegar will freeze in a home freezer. Freeze it solid and smash it open. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30988
    Saturday Night Fever.

That had a huge dance flaw.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    joeyowen said:
    Pixar Cars... WHY DO THEY HAVE DOORS!?
    It's a sexual thing. 

Americky toilets often have much deeper water than European ones.
    I found a buzzfeed article and here are a couple of photos from it, the U.K. toilet then the US one. Every day’s a learning day.

https://i.imgur.com/v9FsoWX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/APswDSt.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Braveheart. All of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Gassage said:
    Saturday Night Fever.

That had a huge dance flaw.
    Laminate?
  • Batman begins: all the water in Gotham is vaporised... And yet all the (70% water) humans are fine. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    The Raiders one isn't really a plot hole.  It's just a funny thing that the hero isn't really saving the day but the story still makes sense.

Surely a big flaw in those kinds of movies is the mad way we are supposed to believe that ropes can somehow suspend huge boulders for hundreds if not thousands of years, and that gears made from wood and belts made from twine and skin can somehow function as deterrents to intruders.