Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Nikc said:
    you know most buyers couldn't care less, tokai have been battering they're arse's for years but half wits would rather buy a R8 for stupid money from peach or the like - its bits of wood an wire - nothing magic honest
    And then, after being solidly rogered by Gibson, many then spend even more money on after-market pickups to get the tone they want. They might as well have bought a Harley Benton and had that rewired and fitted with the same pickups, all that it would lack would be a bit of mojo, and that only exists in the players head! 
    This is some of the dumbest shit I've read on here in a long time.  I'm no gibson fanboy but If you think there's no difference between an R8 and a harley benton with a pickup upgrade you're deluding yourself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    Adam_MD said:
    Nikc said:
    you know most buyers couldn't care less, tokai have been battering they're arse's for years but half wits would rather buy a R8 for stupid money from peach or the like - its bits of wood an wire - nothing magic honest
    And then, after being solidly rogered by Gibson, many then spend even more money on after-market pickups to get the tone they want. They might as well have bought a Harley Benton and had that rewired and fitted with the same pickups, all that it would lack would be a bit of mojo, and that only exists in the players head! 
    This is some of the dumbest shit I've read on here in a long time.  I'm no gibson fanboy but If you think there's no difference between an R8 and a harley benton with a pickup upgrade you're deluding yourself.
    Whilst obviously being intentionally rude to all the folk on here who bought those R8's. 

Bad form. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    Adam_MD said:
    Nikc said:
    But get a decent resonant playable example of an HB, put new pickups in, and get a setup, and you are practically quite close.

Whether the remaining difference is worth thousands of pounds, is really up to the individual.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Don't know that this is the right thread to continue this, but for what it's worth.

Jimmy Page was interviewed in 2014.

Q 'A debate has raged for many years on what electric guitars were used on the first album."

A 'It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Dean Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I would like the headstock, because I clearly didn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. Then someone told me to be careful in case some guy who worked in a guitar shop threatened people for using the V shape. So... I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. The design might’ve found its way into the hands of other guitar builders who made but It better but I really don’t know.'

Guess the bottom line is, this is all just banter & guitar top trumps  ;)   :)
    FTFY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited July 2019

But get a decent resonant playable example of an HB, put new pickups in, and get a setup, and you are practically quite close.

Whether the remaining difference is worth thousands of pounds, is really up to the individual.
    How could you be so 'rude' to players of Gibsons to suggest such a thing.

One small point, I think that all this talk one sees about 'resonance' being desirable in electric guitars is somewhat misguided. Any energy that makes the body vibrate is coming from the strings, and so is just reducing the instruments sustain. In reality the whole design of an electric guitar is based around minimising such energy transference, hence the rigid, solid body, the heavy metal bridge and so on. (In contrast, with an acoustic instrument such a violin where the transfer of energy from the string to the body is central to how it makes a sound, the body will be hollow and the top as thin as possible, with a bridge weighing just a couple of grams so as to minimise its impedance.) 

Also, for the most part an electric guitar body and neck undergoes forced vibration, not resonance, and - just as with classic instruments where resonance is generally a bad thing, creating 'wolf' notes, uneven response and so on - resonance in an electric guitar is generally a bad thing, typically resulting in 'dead spots' where the note just dies away. Such resonant frequencies in the electric guitar almost always relate to how the neck behaves, which is a thin, rather flexible stick compared to the slab of the body. (This is also why guitar shaped synth controllers - such as the Roland G707 - often have an extension of the body running to the head stock, as dead spots will adversely affect the triggering of certain notes.)

I do accept that there is a psychological factor at play, as many players like the feel of the body being forced to vibrate, and this is probably linked in the player's head to the fact that in acoustic instruments it is the forced vibration of the body that produces the sound one hears. However, if you have an electric guitar that truly does 'resonate' at certain frequencies, then it is likely that it will behave much like the one in the video below. This Gibson Custom 59 reissue clearly has a neck resonance right around 247 Hz, affecting the 'B3' note at the 4th fret. As a result the fundamental just won't sustain, and as the player keeps on adding energy to the string via vibrato, the first harmonic becomes dominant.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Surely this thread has taken a severe right turn from its earlier comments to this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited July 2019
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Surely this thread has taken a severe right turn from its earlier comments to this
    Just a small aside. If people feel the point is worthy of further discussion, then I will happily start a thread on the topic.

Do you also take exception to the side discussion about the guitars of Jimmy Page?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a small aside. If people feel the point is worthy of further discussion, then I will happily start a thread on the topic.

Do you also take exception to the side discussion about the guitars of Jimmy Page?
    It is certainly not my forum or OP - I just feel it is to far away from the original thought plan - But I'm sure there will be interest and conflict in your thought pattern, so well worth starting a new thread and see how it goes

• It is certainly not my forum or OP - I just feel it is to far away from the original thought plan - But I'm sure there will be interest and conflict in your thought pattern, so well worth starting a new thread and see how it goes
    Going by past 'discussions' on here I am not sure that I dare (or have the energy). :)

It is certainly not my forum or OP - I just feel it is to far away from the original thought plan - But I'm sure there will be interest and conflict in your thought pattern, so well worth starting a new thread and see how it goes
    Have you been reading 1984?!?!

Still, I'll get my popcorn out for an "are R8s worth the money" thread...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18827
    Don't know that this is the right thread to continue this, but for what it's worth.

Jimmy Page was interviewed in 2014.

Q 'A debate has raged for many years on what electric guitars were used on the first album."

A 'It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Dean Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I would like the headstock, because I clearly didn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. Then someone told me to be careful in case some guy who worked in a guitar shop threatened people for using the V shape. So... I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. The design might’ve found its way into the hands of other guitar builders who made but It better but I really don’t know.'

Guess the bottom line is, this is all just banter & guitar top trumps  ;)   :)
    FTFY
    Ta  :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    fred gone odd.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    pmbomb said:
    fred gone odd.
    Easily rectified  ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10505
    tFB Trader
    Well it took 16 pages for the thread to go runny around the edges ... not bad going I suppose.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    ahah... I think Dean guitars, must be loving all the exposure.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Well it took 16 pages for the thread to go runny around the edges ... not bad going I suppose.
    Like Agnesi's eyes?
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Adam_MD said:
    Nikc said:

I own both and that is honestly bullshit. a HB is a good, serviceable LP-ish guitar and with decent pickups will sound pretty much like a good Les Paul. What it won't do is feel like one. There is a massive difference in terms of the qualities of woods used, weight, neck angle etc. etc. Reissues are certainly overpriced (hence all of us jumping on them when they were briefly about £2k cheaper) but they are generally very good guitars regardless of your feelings about Gibson.

I suspect those that think they're getting a custom shop quality guitar for £200 are equally as deluded as those who think their R8/R9 is going to make them play any better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • johnl said:

a HB is a good, serviceable LP-ish guitar and with decent pickups will sound pretty much like a good Les Paul. What it won't do is feel like one. There is a massive difference in terms of the qualities of woods used, weight, neck angle etc. etc.
    I know what you mean. ;)

johnl said:
    I own both and that is honestly bullshit. a HB is a good, serviceable LP-ish guitar and with decent pickups will sound pretty much like a good Les Paul.
    Mate, that is literally all anyone is saying.

All the other stuff is important to the people who are really looking for something akin to a REAL 58 LP, but a lot of what in theory makes those reissues desirable is fairly unimportant to very many people.

To me, even 2.5k is ludicrous money for a guitar, if to you all the things like weight, neck angle, the kind of neck tenon, and how much like 50s mahogany the wood is is important, then cool!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    It's not in terms of them being accurate, it's that they objectively make for a better guitar. Avoiding the tonewood debate with a big stick, "better" wood gives you a lighter guitar for the same amount of mahogany. Better neck angle allows for a lower action and overall the entire package is just more pleasant to play.