Any Golfers on the forum?

What's Hot
strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
edited June 2019 in Off Topic
I'm bloody addicted to the game now.

3 pics 3 consecutive days of golf, Fri, Sat and Sun, and Saturday also included over 2 hours on Toptracer after with the family.. 

Its not for everyone but it's certainly for me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Casual golfer now as I don’t have time but been playing for the last 27 years. 

I‘m sure I’ll pick it back up when I’m a bit older 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    joneve said:
    Casual golfer now as I don’t have time but been playing for the last 27 years. 

I‘m sure I’ll pick it back up when I’m a bit older 
    Guitars, golf and cycling - quite a triumvirate;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes I’m a member at Coxmoor in Nottinghamshire. Still just  average at 17HCP after 3 years ish playing. 

Its a great way to get out for a 5mile walk carrying 10KG. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Yep, me too. Though I'm fairly crap
  • rolls1392 said:
    Yep, me too. Though I'm fairly crap
    I'm not too good but improving.. Currently if I bogey round I'm very happy.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    I really enjoy playing, but haven’t for years. I would always play with my brother and brother in law. 
    Brother is now permanently resident in Beijing, and sister divorced my brother in law, and he sodded off. 

I was never good, would go round in 100 with only light cheating, I’m tall and clumsy...

I tried to teach my wife, but she is absolutely not interested. Ho hum....

I’ve never even used my Calloways which I got about four years ago. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Very crap, but I enjoy the personal Zen thing. Just restarted after a 2yr layoff (frozen shoulder)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Been playing 3 years now, love it and my scores are coming down, I don't take it hugely serious but love the social aspect and beers after plus get to go on a jolly boys to Spain every year with a society which is fantastic and have played some great courses.

Oh, and I live opposite a golf course which is handy :)
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Have been playing for 10 years or so but over the last 5 years has been infrequent due to the little ones arriving. Really need to get out for short bursts of practise as frequently playing 6 or so holes after work helped get my score down. 

Addictive game - just wish I knew why when my driver is hot I lose the ability to putt!!

Enjoy!
  • TheMarlin said:

I tried to teach my wife, but she is absolutely not interested. Ho hum....

My Wife picked up a few lefty ladies clubs and now goes Toptracer with us and is quite consistently knocking a ball forward 100 yds +.  We are now on the hunt for a set for her.

My 8 yo lad has a Wilson Jr set and is improving, He will be getting lessons for his BDay in August. 

My 16 yo lad wants to smack a driver 270+ and tbh he can whack em but they mainly end up on the next fairway so I have been trying to teach him course management and a bit of retstraint. I had a round with him Sunday and the deal was he didn't bring his driver and used his 3 iron to tee off with.. When he finished 12 strokes lighter than the previous week he understood my point. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yep...just got back from Spain, played twice last week.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    edited June 2019
    Wife plays. She is much better than me.
    She just pocketed £100 in the last week in some comps.
    Smart arse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I’m pretty good on the Wii  =)
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Used to play off 2. Gave up golf and took up the guitar instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4984
    Love the game but not much good at it.  Modern golf requires one to be long off the tee - more suited to young people who have the flexibility needed to hit the ball long.  In theory handicaps should balance things out but in practice this does not happen.

Golf is more expensive to play than say guitar.  Club subs, green fees, periodic equipment changes, clothing etc all add up.  And golf kit has zero resale value.

Golf is a tough game in spite of it being a simple idea - play the ball from here and into a hole in the ground there strictly by the rules of golf.  That is why players cannot give it up.  It gets into your dna.  And the only fix is to play another round.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I used to be quite good when I was a junior. Put my back out and developed a massive slice. It's not as bad if I do plenty of warming up/stretching but it really put me off. 
    Should get back into it. I did really enjoy it.

Do you not find the grass very different in the likes of Spain, Portugal? 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I've also come back to it after about 7 years of not playing. I had the opportunity to play a couple of decent courses through work - the last of which was The Grove near Watford - so I have been frantically trying to get myself up from hideously bad to gamely crap. Not sure I'm quite there yet.

That said I did win the closest to the pin prize at North Downs GC a couple of weeks ago at a charity day and scored about the best in my hopeless 4-ball at the Grove in the pishing rain. 

Since I've taken it back up, I've hardly touched my guitars and have barely been on the classifieds. This is a worrying trend. 

It seems my limited mental bandwidth can only support one obsession at a time. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Ooh and my cousin (well, my cousin's cousin) is the head greenkeeper at Valderrama so I should call in a family favour and get a freebie round in there when/if I get into the handicap levels...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Rocker said:

Golf is more expensive to play than say guitar.  Club subs, green fees, periodic equipment changes, clothing etc all add up.  And golf kit has zero resale value.

Golf can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, both in terms of where you play, and what standard of equipment you want to use. Obviously if you buy cheap clubs the resale will be next to nothing, but if you buy decent clubs, you’ll recoup maybe 50% of their value when you decide to sell on. 

I recently sold all of my golf clubs, all my golf clothing, shoes, balls etc, and made around £7.5k out of it all. It amazes me that people are willing to spend up to £75 on a used Hugo Boss golf shirt, but I’m not going to complain. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    McToot said:
    Ooh and my cousin (well, my cousin's cousin) is the head greenkeeper at Valderrama so I should call in a family favour and get a freebie round in there when/if I get into the handicap levels...
    Yes, you really should! 

If anyone is looking for a decent golf forum, The Golf Monthly forum is (or was) full of a decent bunch of guys and girls. They regularly arrange forum meets at some really nice golf courses and there's always invites to members courses for a game.

It's active with staff from the Magazine too and they are really good at offering up opportunities to forum members for features that will appear in the Mag (I got chosen to go to Wentworth for the day to have a club fitting when the Taylor Made R11 and RBZ range came out; got to hang out with Paul McGinley and get some pointers from him too, which was ace. Along with a free 9 holes at The Grove when they were trying to get "Speed Golf" off the ground).