Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    @rossyamaha - looks good. Not for me (I just use Helix Native with a guitar lead permanently plumbed in to my desk and interface), but still...very cool to see the Line 6 and Yamaha tech being combined. Can we expect to see more of this sort of thing? Like, say, Pacificas with Variax tech in them?

By the way, does the G10t automatically charge from the jack socket like on the Spider range?
    I've been using Helix rack for a while at home with a G10. It's awesome but there is something fun about the THR. 

Pacifica with Variax tech kind of already exists without actually being that exactly. The Variax Standard was the first thing Yamaha and Line 6 did together. 

Yeah the G10T charges in the input socket. 
    Yes, the prototype Pacifica based Variaxes came through me whilst Line6 UK was still in existence. In fact, they arrived with me within 4 months of the Yamaha/Line6 deal - an excellent idea although I hope they've cured the dreadful tremolo return to pitch issues of the prototypes - I made quite a fuss about that! I was disappointed that they didn't take up my suggestions for upgrades to the 'standard' - the 'custom' with HSH  and the 'professional' with locking machine heads, seymour duncan pickups and a slightly wider board (rolled edges, SS frets etc). Apparently there was "no perceived market" for them...

Hey ho.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess the general guitar market now is much more supported by the home user market than it is by what people need for gigging or recording. 
    Yamaha were amongst the first to say let's make a home use amp that isn't about pretending that the corner of your spare room is a mini Wembley or that for home use means it has to sound crap. 
    So although my initial reaction is How Much (!) I do get that there are people who want the best home use amp out there with all the bells and whistles. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great, and if i didn't have a Vox Adio Air i would definately be interested.
    The Vox Adio Air is a real ugly fucker, but it does all i need it to....bluetooth too
    Think i will keep my hard earned dosh to put towards another guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    edited September 2019
    I would have bought one I think had the THR10II wireless be £299.  

£469 is quite a jump and have to buy the G10t to make it wireless for another £79.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow - those are pricey!

Look like great specs but £535 for a desktop praccy amp is a lot of moolah.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited September 2019
    THR10C user..........bought here....great compact and very usable practice amp ......so I'll dibs the first used THR3011.   

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    How much?

thats a lot for a toy!
    Yeah but it also makes a good toaster as well :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Wow - those are pricey!

Look like great specs but £535 for a desktop praccy amp is a lot of moolah.
    If it's £535 now, it will probably be £495 in 6 months time.  Still expensive, but not quite as bad.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    edited September 2019
    So this just happened. 

https://i.imgur.com/3Nnty2m.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• So this just happened. 

https://imgur.com/a/TCAxts7
    Were you the in-room "Yamaha rep"?

Amazing the power the Andertons team have in the online gear world now.

I'll look forward to the video.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • So this just happened. 

https://imgur.com/a/TCAxts7
    Were you the in-room "Yamaha rep"?

Amazing the power the Andertons team have in the online gear world now.

I'll look forward to the video.
    No I stayed out of it. They did an awesome job without me. And they both loved the new models. 

• any word on the 100? Will that be upgraded also?
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited September 2019
    Looks great, and if i didn't have a Vox Adio Air i would definately be interested.
    The Vox Adio Air is a real ugly fucker, but it does all i need it to....bluetooth too
    Think i will keep my hard earned dosh to put towards another guitar....
    Same here.  I bought each of the three THR10s over the years (despite feeling it was cynical to market them in that way, i.e.  different amp models 'exclusive' to each unit), then replaced them with the Vox which, at 220 quid, seems to have covered much of this ground already, and which I think has the edge sonically too. (EDIT - over the old THR10, to be clear - although there's not very much in it to my ears)

It's annoying because I know I would enjoy the new THR for having all the models in one place, but it does seem prohibitively expensive.
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    edited September 2019
    Am I missing a reason why the THR10ii Wireless is £100 more expensive then the non wireless THR10ii?
    The inbuilt G10 wireless system is a good idea but since you still need to pay an extra £79 for the G10 transmitter to use it surely it would be cheaper to buy the non-wireless model, the full Line 6 G10 system for £110 and a pack of rechargeable batteries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Any upgrade is modelling quality or is it the same sounds effectively ? 
  • dindude said:
    Any upgrade is modelling quality or is it the same sounds effectively ? 
    We have tweaked the sounds. It’s even more dynamic and the eq is metal powerful. The fx seem much more stereo as well. 

• Bluebeard said:
    Am I missing a reason why the THR10ii Wireless is £100 more expensive then the non wireless THR10ii?
    The inbuilt G10 wireless system is a good idea but since you still need to pay an extra £79 for the G10 transmitter to use it surely it would be cheaper to buy the non-wireless model, the full Line 6 G10 system for £110 and a pack of rechargeable batteries.
    The regular 10 is now power supply only and the wireless version is a built in rechargeable lithium ion. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Bluebeard said:
    Good point, I can get the G10, put that in my current THR10 or all my amps and have myself a wireless guitar.
  • I do understand people’s issue with price but remember the previous version has been around 8 years. This has basically been redesigned from the ground up (hate that phrase but it has). With added features like Bluetooth, built in battery and built in wireless receiver, this all adds up quickly. Plus, the R&d that actually had to go into it in the first place. Oh, and it’s a proper metal box with super duper speakers in specifically designed for this amp. All of this does bump the cost up but what you get is arguable the best playing experience. 

What we originally intended to do with THR was to create a quick and easy practice solution for a player that has all the gear, knows great tone and is used to a certain feel. I’m doing this we created not just the first desktop amp, but something that looks, sounds and feels amazing and can live comfortably in any part of the house. Not just a black box with some sounds in it. We wanted to create an experience and make playing guitar at home fun. I see this said time and time again that people who own a THR have never played so much since they got it. I was the same. There are tons of practice amps on the market, we even make some of the best selling ones (Spider). None of them give me the playing experience that the THRs do. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If the 30's new speakers make a really useful difference to the way it handles lower frequencies, I'll have no problem getting over the price (and my disappointment that it's not a 12x12x12 box with a 'big' speaker!).

While we're talking THR features: one function I've always wanted on my 10C is the ability to dedicate the two FX knobs to a single effect each via the software, because while I've got used to plugging into my computer to dial in some presets, I don't enjoy controlling an amp from an iPad/phone while playing. To have the full sweep of the knob for, say, delay would be great.

If that would a fairly trivial thing to implement in a 30II firmware upgrade, I'd love to see it. I can't be the only one who isn't bothered about wireless and prefers making adjustments on the amp.