Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 8569
    I just watched that.

What a bunch of whining, whingeing old farts you lot are. NOTHING wrong with that performance at all. There's nothing worse than pious musicians criticising another's playing or musicianship, IMHO.

Leave him alone.

BTW - cool guitar. And yes, it makes me think of Kevin Peake too
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 2748
    I loved it too...Just raggedy cool guitar probably a nano second from disaster  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I like that Gibson. If I think of Ron I always imagine him with one of Zematis.

The great thing about art in general is that one person can only see or hear  flaws and another can feel something intangible.

Ronnie has got it in bucket loads. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Wow I couldn't watch that, bloody awful, I wish they would just stop it

Get some young talent on please, they need the exposure 
    That band toward the end all looked about 15. 

I quite like a Chuck Berry tune, I like Imelda May ( underused and not at her best unfortunately last night but she can be great) so Ronnie’s performance was fine for me. I think it’s fair to say he was there by virtue of being famous and someone else doing the same thing wouldn’t have got through the door. My son who doesn’t really know who he is but likes Imelda was a bit non plussed by it. 

That’s essentially the paradox with Later, that it tries to sit newer artists alongside more established figures who sometimes have reached the ageing hack period of their careers and it seems to rarely satisfy both audiences. I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    Sleep. That’s where I’m a Viking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 6324
    tFB Trader
    Hard audience. For one the guy is 72 and by all rights shouldn't still be breathing by now, let alone playing live, and plenty of other iconic players also show the effects of time passing by the time they are Wood's age. (For example, from what I have seen Bill Nelson can no longer get anywhere near the solo on 'Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape'.)

Hand issues is an issue for so many- I believe EC now has problems - Les Paul himself had lost most of his 'dexterity' as time went by - Yet the likes of Segovia and Stephane Grappelli had almost full dexterity in their 90's

Same with Sports stars - some are still slim + fit and others are 'crippled' from excessive use and training and 'the body on the line' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 1410
    It was fine for me - that’s Ronnie. I’d rather that than Jeff Beck playing Nessum Dorma 
    Amen to that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Ps. Imelda is looking hawt these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 8569
    Lebarque said:
    Ps. Imelda is looking hawt these days
    What do you mean "these days"?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 1994
    He didn't drop any clangers. I just said it was clearly right at the edge of his abilities.  If you're 72 fair enough nobody expects you to play Paganini, but Chuck Berry in his late 80s could play it a lot better than that.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 537
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Very entertaining... Ain't that supposed to be the point.
    Bonus points for Imelda May. 
  • I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    Mick had been on BB’s album Deuces Wild and his album Tribute to Bobby is a pretty good modern blues outing. 
    Sleep. That’s where I’m a Viking. 
  • Well I'm in the "nothing wrong with that - I liked it" camp.  I much prefer to hear that sort of performance than an over-polished note-perfect regurgitation of the recording.  Is Ronnie Wood the best guitarist (or singer) ever? Probably not. But he's certainly not terrible and I enjoy listening to what he plays (and I certainly couldn't do better anyway).

As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 1327
    AlexO said:
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Very entertaining... Ain't that supposed to be the point.
    Bonus points for Imelda May. 
    I think that’s pretty much it nailed. 

Ron is just cool, he and Charlie have always been what’s cool about the Stones for me. Sure, he wouldn’t get any gigs based on his current playing but then no genius whippersnapper could ever come close to his stage persona and that’s why he totally deserves the screen time in my book. 

Even back in The Faces it was ‘The Two Ronnies’ that made them as fabulous and cool
    as they were. Let’s face it, he brings a touch of gold dust wherever he goes. 

I’m also deeply enjoying the irony of anyone performing with Jools and getting ‘isn’t it enough now?’ comments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 1199
    Ron's poorly served by the mix there. I think he's playing it exactly how it should be played....loose, economical and a bit behind the beat. "Better" players always play it too fast and with too much added bullshit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  •  I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    I try to watch as much as possible because I often come across something I like that I maybe didn't expect to.  But I must admit I do end up skipping past a lot of the hip-hop type stuff (usually anything with "featuring" in the band name is a bad sign) - really not my taste at all, but otherwise it's good to hear different stuff.
    edited November 2019
    I saw that BB gig on YT and he was fucked, even in his chair.  Kept being quite lewd towards Susan Tadechi while Derek had to kind of eye his way through it, played in the wrong key with Slash iirc and then as you say had Mick Hucknall turn up. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 1495
    tFB Trader

As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    Yes I have and I'm still waiting for good guitar bands or even good bands because I hate most of it tbh, not music to me

There are so many good bands just not getting anywhere 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 2676
    ICBM said:
    Bebopper said:
    Wow... sounded like he was struggling.
    I used to like his 'anarchic' timing - back in the days of the Faces... but that, for me, that version of Johnny B G was a step too far from living on the edge.
    I thought it was absolutely brilliant... the very definition of what rock’n’roll guitar is meant to be. Full of excitement and energy - most players a third of his age wouldn’t put that much life into it. I admit to not always thinking he’s that great in the past, but that’s one of the best things I’ve seen on Later.

The guitar is also really high in the mix - you could barely hear most of the other instruments - which makes the raggedness more obvious.

And yes, I do think we’re all watching the same performance ;).
    Glad you posted this, I was just assuming all the comments were right and thought "that's a shame" without wanting to watch it but I did after your comment and it's totally fine.

It's a mainstream show on one of the main BBC channels, most people wouldn't want to tune in to see nobodies performing technically proficient guitar parts.

I'd take more ageing rockers with guitars over the pop starletts and rappers with DJs that they sometimes have on to seem young. Not that I don't like rap, I just don't watch Jools Holland to see someone with a backing track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• As for Jools not having new young artists on Later - have you actually watched any of them?
    Yes I have and I'm still waiting for good guitar bands or even good bands because I hate most of it tbh, not music to me

Not many young guitar bands this series, you're right.  I actually really enjoyed Amyl and the Sniffers the other week (another performance that sounded "real"), and I do like some of the quieter stuff, but I agree that more guitar/rock bands would be nice (for my tastes anyway).
  • I think Later is pretty good - I want to see a whole variety of artists from all genres. It’s a great way to pick up on something new....just this series Celeste was fantastic. I remember being blown away by The Alabama Shakes’ Brittany Howard a few years ago.  It’s great to see old favorites as long as they’re doing something new and interesting (Weller, EATB and Magazine spring to mind). 

Heritage artists (sorry I couldn’t think of a better term) are fine as long as they still have a spark and/or something to say.  Sadly.....and I’m a fan of his from The Birds to The Faces to The Stones.....Ronnie has neither these days. 
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 

• Philly_Q said:
    I always associate the L5S with the late Kevin Peek of Sky.
    Back in the Eighties, Paul Simon had a phase of L5-S.

hotpickups said:
    I was massively into Sky in the early days with Francis Monkman. Shit drummer though  
    Monkman is classically trained in composition and is a skilful multi-instrumentalist. Unfortunately, none of his work to which I have ever listened swings. (Ironically, that might be precisely why he was recruited into Sky.) 
    Be seeing you.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 21460
    I prefer Wood's raw style to a certain Mr Bonamassa .. there's an authenticity about it.

I hope the guy keeps rockin' till he drops ...
    A good swordsman is more important than a good sword — Amit Kalantri

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    soma1975 said:
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 

But she was 'edgy', therefore meaning she's cool right? Isn't that how it works? :0)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 4222

Most of the acts this series are young/unsigned - might not be to your taste (Lord knows they aren't to mine) but it is quite different format and line-up now.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Rough as a bear's arse.

Bloody loved it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 7115
    I remember seeing BB King’s final U.K. appearance at The Albert Hall back in about 2011. There was a constant stream of fantastic guest guitarists joining him on stage - Derek Trucks...then Slash..it went on and on and then the crowd went wild when Jeff Beck sauntered out to join him...until everyone realised it was actually Ronnie. Then, inexplicably Mick Hucknall emerged to sing a few. Very much a gig of two halves. 
    It was his night to use the wig.  A day later it could've been Johnny Marr.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SRichSRich Frets: 507
    edited November 2019
    Great painter, likeable bloke - but hasn’t ever been a wonderful guitar player.
    Whoaaaaaa.....a bit harsh?.........may I point my learned colleague to "A Nod's as Good as a Wink"........stellar slide and chops.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 1725
    TINMAN82 said:
    There was a timing issue in the intro riff and overall it was played with a “stonesy” looseness but I enjoyed it. Frankly I wish I could play like he does at 72 (after a lifetime of booze and fags)  and I’m half his age. 
    And crystal meth

He's not really a singer but the guitar playing wasn't bad. It's quite physically demanding to sing while maintaining downpicking at that speed, I think that's where the funny faces are coming from