Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82 said:
    ...overall it was played with a “stonesy” looseness but I enjoyed it. 

My thoughts as well. There's a raw 'something' about it that I liked.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72334
    roberty said:

He's not really a singer but the guitar playing wasn't bad. It's quite physically demanding to sing while maintaining downpicking at that speed, I think that's where the funny faces are coming from
    I thought his singing was fine too. Like the guitar playing, it's a bit ragged - but I don't hear sloppiness or someone playing at the limit of his abilities at all, just great musicality and expressiveness, and... rock'n'roll.

The complete opposite of more technically accurate players in the same sort of style who frankly bore me to sleep. And I do like technically accurate playing, where it's appropriate - which is not in Johnny B. Goode.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    That was proper rock'n'roll.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That'd be great in the room at gig volume. The TV mix didn't help, but rock'n'roll should be loose. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was expecting the worst from the comments.... but I enjoyed it, loose and energetic. Imelda's vocals could have been louder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 
    I discovered her music a few weeks ago - refreshing and personal. Certainly not edgy for the sake of it, and who wants to sound like everyone else? I think she was nervous but the studio version on YouTube is great

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2264
    edited November 2019
    People who think Ronnie was playing at the edge of his ability are really talking out of their bottoms!
    A guy who has been playing guitar and touring as long as he has (probably longer than a lot of tFBers have been alive) will naturally be enormously proficient.
    I think he has got beyond the stage where he needs the "book with pictures to show him where to put his fingers"
    There is a fantastic French and Saunder sketch for that -

• ICBM said:
    Bebopper said:
    Wow... sounded like he was struggling.
    I used to like his 'anarchic' timing - back in the days of the Faces... but that, for me, that version of Johnny B G was a step too far from living on the edge.
    I thought it was absolutely brilliant... the very definition of what rock’n’roll guitar is meant to be. Full of excitement and energy - most players a third of his age wouldn’t put that much life into it. I admit to not always thinking he’s that great in the past, but that’s one of the best things I’ve seen on Later.

The guitar is also really high in the mix - you could barely hear most of the other instruments - which makes the raggedness more obvious.

And yes, I do think we’re all watching the same performance ;).
    Agreed 100%, that's rock n roll to me
  • Philly_Q said:
    I always associate the L5S with the late Kevin Peek of Sky.  My brother had their first two albums, we were really into them for a little while.
    Legend. 
  • Nothing wrong with that. Proper rock 'n' roll from a proper guitar player. I find all the negativity somewhat baffling. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    soma1975 said:
    At least we can all agree that lady with the violin was awful. 
    I discovered her music a few weeks ago - refreshing and personal. Certainly not edgy for the sake of it, and who wants to sound like everyone else? I think she was nervous but the studio version on YouTube is great

I genuinely just thought it was a bad song with a bad hook and a bad melody. Each to their own I guess. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • EricTheWeary said:
    I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    I just watch this one clip on a loop:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Think it's ok tbh
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

Okay, his singing wasn't wonderful but was he ever that much of a singer in the first place?
  • Very enjoyable, proper rock n roll , nuff said . He sung ,he played he rocked out . He gets the job done ,always has . Bags of charisma that translates to great stage presence  his usual job is weaving lines with keef  and we are fortunate enough to see him here jamming and singing with the band . Smashing job . Loved it 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    soma1975 said:

How on Earth does he still hold down a spot in a Stones concert unless as often suggested there's a team of ringers playing under the stage. 
    Because Ronnie is a more capable guitarist that Keith.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    It was a bit loose but it wasn't as bad as people are making out. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    barnstorm said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    I wonder how many people regularly sit through whole episodes rather than just finding the bits they are interested in on line. 
    I just watch this one clip on a loop:

Nice one.

This is a great theFB thread, one of my favourites.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140219/the-most-memorable-jools-moments/p1

Anyone bothered about Ronnie's timing and rhythm playing should remind themselves of the Faces's "Stay with me".  Quite a lot going on there, particularly around the Intro and into the song.  Rhythm guitar and rock n roll at its finest.
  • I thought it was good. Even with Jools Holland involved... Mark E Smith had the best approach to appearing on Later.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sahreports/status/956278052173983748?lang=en

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I could easily believe that they rocked up to the studio without a set list, two minutes before going on someone said “Hey, let’s do JBG...”, they just jammed it, and that’s what came out. 

On which basis it’s bloody great, and if they’d rehearsed it then played it 50 nights in a row on tour but still managed to sound like they were jamming it then for my money that’s even better... 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom