Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    soma1975 said:

How on Earth does he still hold down a spot in a Stones concert unless as often suggested there's a team of ringers playing under the stage. 
    Because Ronnie is a more capable guitarist that Keith.
    Wasn't Mick Taylor fired for being better than Keith?
    No but after becoming incredibly thin-skinned about people implying that Mick was the "good" guitarist in the Stones, Keith wasn't going to make the same mistake again.  Hence Ron, a good all-round musician but not a "lead guitarist" in the Taylor mould.

I believe  the main reason for Mick's demise was that his wife couldn't stand him being treated as a second class citizen by Jagger and Richard.  He should have had songwriting credits on some of their songs (including Brown Sugar and Moonlight Mile). Taylor was a laid back guy who’d probably have sucked it up, but his missus kept pushing him not to put up with it.

You can understand why he was cheesed off, but he’d been handed a ticket to wealth and worldwide fame. Looking at  his pretty underwhelming career since you wonder if he doesn’t look at Ronnie Wood and wish he’d played his hand a bit differently.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    There was a TV prog about being a sidesman recently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:

Suppose I should look at the bassist, if it's a man it's not Jeff Beck.
    Unless, of course, the bass player IS Ronnie Wood. Now that takes me back....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    I believe  the main reason for Mick's demise was that his wife couldn't stand him being treated as a second class citizen by Jagger and Richard.  He should have had songwriting credits on some of their songs (including Brown Sugar and Moonlight Mile). Taylor was a laid back guy who’d probably have sucked it up, but his missus kept pushing him not to put up with it.

My understanding for M Taylor leaving the Stones was influenced by lack of credit on the song writing - How much he added other than the obvious rifts, then I don't know - It was a similar issue with the Eagles and D Felder - He was told that a riff does not make the song - As such all the other parts were constructed by D Henley and G Frey - Therefore they get the song writing credits
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10225
    I don't agree that that crowd would cheer more for Jeff Beck over Ronnie Wood. Ronnie Wood is a Rolling Stone, Jeff Beck isn't nearly as well known. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyway, The Ron Wood L5S from 2014/15 were a limited run of 50 worldwide. All played and signed by the man himself. Much like Beck's Oxblood Les Paul model. The Wood L5S is an all Maple guitar with the body being a pancake of top, chambered Maple and back. The originals L5S were heavy as the Maple body was all solid. Originally had low impedance pickups and a Harmonica style bridge with a tail-piece a la L5 Archtop. The pickups were changed to Super Buckers around '74, I think. 
  • Imelda is so hot. Worth watching just for her lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Imelda is so hot. Worth watching just for her lol
    Agreed she’s gone from quirky/cute to downright gorgeous in 1 album
  • Some very interesting comments here, that to my mind miss the point of this  performance -a bit of fun. It’s not supposed to be virtuoso stuff, just a bunch of folks having a laugh. 

Comparisons with Beck and Taylor are ridiculous, Beck is a virtuoso and in a totally different league to approx 99% of his generational peers. Taylor was good, but was guilty of some fairly bland average blues soloing on a number of tracks (even though that is my favourite era of Stones; but then what I love that era for is the writing and the soul). Ronnie has fitted in and served the job well and when I last saw the Stones I was impressed, he was the guy holding that band together, in many respects playing band leader -not my idol, the walking caricature Mr Richards or Charlie despite what everyone always says.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited November 2019

QUICK THREAD HIJACK FOR A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION

What price a reunion concert featuring Woody, Jeffrey, Sir Roderick plus a drummer such as Aynsley Dunbar? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

QUICK THREAD HIJACK FOR A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION

What price a reunion concert featuring Woody, Jeffrey, Sir Roderick plus a drummer such as Aynsley Dunbar? 
    What about Woody, Cliff, Norm, Frasier and a barmaid such as Carla?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Some very interesting comments here, that to my mind miss the point of this  performance -a bit of fun. It’s not supposed to be virtuoso stuff, just a bunch of folks having a laugh. 

Comparisons with Beck and Taylor are ridiculous, Beck is a virtuoso and in a totally different league to approx 99% of his generational peers. Taylor was good, but was guilty of some fairly bland average blues soloing on a number of tracks (even though that is my favourite era of Stones; but then what I love that era for is the writing and the soul). Ronnie has fitted in and served the job well and when I last saw the Stones I was impressed, he was the guy holding that band together, in many respects playing band leader -not my idol, the walking caricature Mr Richards or Charlie despite what everyone always says.
    As per my previous comments I enjoyed it. Im a big stones fan and saw them at Murrayfield last year. They were great, including Ronnie.

That said, it’s possible to take the rock n roll = just some fun argument too far. I think it’s reasonable to expect a certain level of polish and lack of errors from the lead guitarist of the biggest rock n roll band of all time!

Anyway, here’s another great recent version of that song from Walter Trout and Mike Zitto:

https://youtu.be/Bbxcj29b5Iw

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

No but after becoming incredibly thin-skinned about people implying that Mick was the "good" guitarist in the Stones, Keith wasn't going to make the same mistake again.  Hence Ron, a good all-round musician but not a "lead guitarist" in the Taylor mould.

You can understand why he was cheesed off, but he’d been handed a ticket to wealth and worldwide fame. Looking at  his pretty underwhelming career since you wonder if he doesn’t look at Ronnie Wood and wish he’d played his hand a bit differently.
    Mick Taylor lived round the corner from me .. I never spoke to him. Saw him a few times.

He was hired to do the Clapton lead guitar thing .. there's an interview with him on YouTube in which he says he couldn't take the lifestyle and wanted out. However, his story has changed a few times.

Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone about Taylor in 1995: “He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don’t have now… Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed.”

In the book It’s in Life, Keith’s autobiography, Richards admits he was sometimes in awe of Taylor’s playing - “the melodic touch, a beautiful sustain and a way of reading a song” - but also calls him shy to the point of being “very distant”. Richards also claims Taylor left the Stones in the lurch which prompted Richards to state that “no one should leave this band except in a pine box”.

Taylor ended up a heroin addict - I don't think he really fitted into the band - too introverted and not the partying type. Wood was a better fit as he was more of an outgoing jack-the-lad and a ladies man, but the Stones were never the same after Taylor quit.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited November 2019
    I thought it was good. Even with Jools Holland involved... Mark E Smith had the best approach to appearing on Later.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sahreports/status/956278052173983748?lang=en

Mark E Smith might as well have had clauses in his contracts that forbade his own fucking band playing on his songs.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited November 2019
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    soma1975 said:

How on Earth does he still hold down a spot in a Stones concert unless as often suggested there's a team of ringers playing under the stage. 
    Wasn't Mick Taylor fired for being better than Keith?
    From everything I've read or heard them say, it's always because Mick Taylor just didn't enjoy the grind and the drugs and all anymore. 
    He also got more than just a bit fed up of never getting any writing credits when the records finally came out.

EDIT: Apologies, @guitars4you beat me to it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • roberty said:
    This is still my all time fave old man rock'n'roller

“But I can’t go back to savoury now”

”Austin ambassador Y reg , Y reg “

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Fretwired said:
    Roland said:
    soma1975 said:

Keith can hardly play these days .. Woody is great on slide.
    He wasn’t great on that lap steel on Jools, I thought it was terrible. I liked Johnny Be Good though. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    boogieman said:

He wasn’t great on that lap steel on Jools, I thought it was terrible. I liked Johnny Be Good though. 

Just looked at that...yes, not very good. Although as with JBG, not helped by being way too high in the mix and everyone else being way too low. Also perplexing what Jools thinks he's adding when you've got Ben Waters behind the piano!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Any good bands been on this season?

I saw one of the episodes when it was on and now I've been watching through episode 1 but nothing's been doing anything for me; on the Later of old there would always be at least one very interesting artist on each show.

Seems like they might be forced to try to appeal to a wider audience rather than being allowed to cater to a niche audience who would have been in to the kind of music they used to have on more regularly.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited November 2019
    I liked the girl on solo violin & vocals, with loops behind her.

Thought JBG was excellent, certainly had Imelda (in total babe mood) grooving away - I'd be more than happy to achieve that feat !!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback