Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ronnie Wood's guitar on Jools tonight?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    thegummy said:
    Any good bands been on this season?

I saw one of the episodes when it was on and now I've been watching through episode 1 but nothing's been doing anything for me; on the Later of old there would always be at least one very interesting artist on each show.

Seems like they might be forced to try to appeal to a wider audience rather than being allowed to cater to a niche audience who would have been in to the kind of music they used to have on more regularly.
    I really rate that Slowthai tune but wasn't into the performance of it on Jools. It's the age we live in I guess with music being produced in the box. Boxes aren't interesting to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBkHaMOPXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOUFS7gjcmY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited November 2019
    roberty said:
    thegummy said:

I saw one of the episodes when it was on and now I've been watching through episode 1 but nothing's been doing anything for me; on the Later of old there would always be at least one very interesting artist on each show.

Seems like they might be forced to try to appeal to a wider audience rather than being allowed to cater to a niche audience who would have been in to the kind of music they used to have on more regularly.
    I really rate that Slowthai tune but wasn't into the performance of it on Jools. It's the age we live in I guess with music being produced in the box. Boxes aren't interesting to watch

Aye an observation I've made about modern live music - in the old days music existed live, each part would be played live in real time and making a record was trying to capture that. But now it's the opposite way round, the music is made as a record and people come up with novelty ways to create a live act based around that.

So, like, they'll have a sequence triggered by a foot switch they jump on or they'll set up midi controllers to trigger things with lights blinking. It's not actually changing the music, just trying to make a sequenced synthesizer look more interesting to the audience.

Sometimes it can look interesting but often not because it's someone just trying to make something look interesting whereas a band performing the old way is just inherently interesting to look at (for people who like that).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just moved on to episode two now and my first thought was "for some reason I thought Jessie Ware was about my age, guess not". Then I looked up on Wikipedia and she actually is. Must have had some fucking paper round!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    thegummy said:
    roberty said:
    thegummy said:

Aye an observation I've made about modern live music - in the old days music existed live, each part would be played live in real time and making a record was trying to capture that. But now it's the opposite way round, the music is made as a record and people come up with novelty ways to create a live act based around that.

So, like, they'll have a sequence triggered by a foot switch they jump on or they'll set up midi controllers to trigger things with lights blinking. It's not actually changing the music, just trying to make a sequenced synthesizer look more interesting to the audience.

Sometimes it can look interesting but often not because it's someone just trying to make something look interesting whereas a band performing the old way is just inherently interesting to look at (for people who like that).
    That's true. I like the Sleaford Mods approach where there is no pretending or dressing it up. What you see is exactly what you get. It fits well with the no-nonsense tone of the lyrics
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Just picked up Ronnie Wood’s First Barbarians CD from the local charity shop (which it will be going back to later this afternoon). Not claiming I could do better but some of the playing is woeful. You really should expect a certain level of finesse from someone who does this sort of thing for a living.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Pleasing to see that if this guitar thing doesn’t work out that Ronnie has a Plan B

https://i.imgur.com/VMO2Y7W.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom