Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm trying the LCHF (Keto) diet

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99 said:
    Mine is going brilliantly. I've only eaten 3 packets of biscuits today instead of 6!
    there's still time, you can do it, we believe in you
    Oh, you're still here.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24331
    I started it three weeks before going on holiday - during which I largely abandoned it.  I've still cut back on carbs a lot as I can see the definite benefits in doing so.  I'm not sure I can face rigidly sticking to all the meat and fat long term as it's just so boring.

I'm undecided where to go from here.

I think I'll get a pizza tonight though.  I'm still on holiday from work so fuck it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I'm undecided where to go from here.
    30minute walk around the block every evening for 8 months. Only eat salad. That'll sort ye out.

Bye!

• I’ve got Dennis elbow , thanks to people like him who carry a donor card 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    tony99 said:
    Mine is going brilliantly. I've only eaten 3 packets of biscuits today instead of 6!
    Oh, you're still here.
    community service mate
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Oh, you're still here.
    community service mate
    You're doing great! Keep it up!

Bye!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I haven't got the stamina these days
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    I haven't got the stamina these days
    Margereet Thutcher on a spicy night.

Bye!

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    LCHF working for me. Mostly vegetarian, zero meat, just a bit of fish. You don’t need to eat lots of meat to low carb.

No joint pain, no desire to snack, down ten kilos since new year. 

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited February 2020
    A friend of mine has recently had a book published on weight / diet, which (correctly in my view) blows quite a few myths out of the water.

https://www.whyweeattoomuch.co.uk/about-the-author.html

Andy's a bariatric surgeon, and he was motivated to write the book from 20 odd years of talking to morbidly obese patients who had persistently failed to lose weight, and their experiences with the diet industry.

The book's not trying sell anything, but is a summary of a lot of research into the connection between diet, exercise and weight loss.

I've chatted at length with Andy about the book, and in my opinion, as someone who use to teach nutrition to undergraduates, it's a well-researched piece of work.

Of course many people will still swear by the latest celebrity diet book published by the runner up in 2007's Britain's Got X Factor but there you go.......

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    jpfamps said:
    A friend of mine has recently had a book published on weight / diet, which (correctly in my view) blows quite a few myths out of the water.

https://www.whyweeattoomuch.co.uk/about-the-author.html

Andy's a bariatric surgeon
    Thanks for the heads up.  Just d/l'd the book.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I've been keto since last June and I've lost 25kg/4 stone. If I didn't have a blowout over Christmas I'd be nearer 30kg! Best thing I've ever done.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Bidley said:
    I've been keto since last June and I've lost 25kg/4 stone. If I didn't have a blowout over Christmas I'd be nearer 30kg! Best thing I've ever done.

wow! Amazing stuff mate, that's superb.

I think the main thought through this thread is that nothing will work unless it is something that you are comfortable with and happy to adopt as a lifestyle. Anything other than this is a fad and doomed to failure.

On the subject of sweet stuff - these things are seductive and definitely habit forming. We consciously ditched buying biscuits and choc, and no-one seems to miss it at all. Whereas before, it was dead easy (and nice) to pop a biscuit down the chute with a brew. For no particular reason.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2020
    My wife and I have been discussing this. The problem I have with keto, in general, is that I would prefer to arrive at a healthy eating regime in a more "natural" way. Certainly before farming, that would have involved fasting and only eating protein-rich food as it presented itself. Obviously entering into a fasting-type way of life only works if you're not going through the sugar rush/crash cycle. So it would be extremely difficult doing 16/8 fasting with sugar craving every morning, hence no you can't binge every night. Also keto is quite tricky to combine with veganism, which I've been thinking about for a while. Our ancestors would probably have been omnivores with small amounts of animal protein and the odd egg when the opportunity presented itself, but by choice I would probably be vegan if/when I can make the change.

Then again, the Raramuri of Mexico seem to subsist mostly on corn, so who bloody knows?

Edit: I know a Brazilian guy who is well into keto and triathlons. He's very healthy in a bony kind of way.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    My wife and I have been discussing this. The problem I have with keto, in general, is that I would prefer to arrive at a healthy eating regime in a more "natural" way. Certainly before farming, that would have involved fasting and only eating protein-rich food as it presented itself. Obviously entering into a fasting-type way of life only works if you're not going through the sugar rush/crash cycle. So it would be extremely difficult doing 16/8 fasting with sugar craving every morning, hence no you can't binge every night. Also keto is quite tricky to combine with veganism, which I've been thinking about for a while. Our ancestors would probably have been omnivores with small amounts of animal protein and the odd egg when the opportunity presented itself, but by choice I would probably be vegan if/when I can make the change.

Then again, the Raramuri of Mexico seem to subsist mostly on corn, so who bloody knows?

Edit: I know a Brazilian guy who is well into keto and triathlons. He's very healthy in a bony kind of way.
    It definitely takes a while to get athletically adapted on Keto, generally around six months from research and anecdotal evidence, but there does not appear to be any negative impact for most sports and some improvement.

The Vegan / Keto thing is going to be hard to balance. If you look at the most nutritional foods it's going to be pretty low carbohydrate, or at least significantly lower than the recommended NHS Eatwell diet. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2020
    Fuengi said:

The Vegan / Keto thing is going to be hard to balance. If you look at the most nutritional foods it's going to be pretty low carbohydrate, or at least significantly lower than the recommended NHS Eatwell diet. 
    It's not easy, I tried and the problem I ran into was the carb content in pulses which were my main source of protein.  For what it's worth I went fishatarian* for a bit to get the protein without the carbs but duh, the plant-based diet was technically buggered at that point. 
    Turned out that keto wasn't for me, so I've ditched the fish and remain low carb veg*n as a general rule. 

* I've never been philosophically Vegan so hence my usual writing veg*n to catch the changes between vegetarian and plant-based diet which I prefer. 

• Obviously entering into a fasting-type way of life only works if you're not going through the sugar rush/crash cycle. So it would be extremely difficult doing 16/8 fasting with sugar craving every morning, hence no you can't binge every night.

Fasting is exactly what you need if you’re going through a sugar rush/crash cycle and should sort it pretty quickly.   I’m not in that cycle but occasionally get a drop in the late afternoon that can make me feel as though I’m going to pass out, despite reasonable diet.  However after a day or so fasting it completely goes and my energy never drops below a certain point.
  • So how did you get on Emp?

I've been doing keto for 3.5 weeks now.

I've gone from 93kg to 88kg.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Bidley said:

Still keto and 42kg/6.5 stone down now. I'm even enjoying the gym (especially now it's open again)!
  • Bidley said:
    Bidley said:

Still keto and 42kg/6.5 stone down now. I'm even enjoying the gym (especially now it's open again)!
    That's excellent my dude!

Bye!