Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm trying the LCHF (Keto) diet

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18799
    Take care with Lupin flour if you have peanut or similar allergies as they are legumes, same family.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Take care with Lupin flour if you have peanut or similar allergies as they are legumes, same family.
    Yes, sorry. Forgot to mention that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not on keto but I have started doing a combination of intermittent fasting (16:8) and low carb.  Too soon to know if it's working yet and I've been ill the last couple of days but we'll see.

I did proper keto a few years ago for about 4 months.  Felt great while on it but found it a huge pain when eating anywhere other than at home.
  • Bidley said:
    Almond flour I find is sometimes called ground almonds in supermarkets. Sainsbury's near me does it.

I'll give the lupin flour a go! Sounds decent.
    Right then! Time for a walk. I quite fancy giving a pizza a go tonight.
    Okay .... that was interesting. A much less cheesy base than my regular keto pizza. But because of that, seemed more sensitive to toppings. I made two pizzas - a Hawiain type of thing, ham and pineapple... and then another where I slapped on sausage and garlic. Even though I love sausage and garlic, I didn't enjoy that one as much. 

Bye!

• I've not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything. 

To the guys that have lost weight (well done) what's the long term plan? Do you stay on keto for ever? Is it not pretty unhealthy to do so?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    I've not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything. 

To the guys that have lost weight (well done) what's the long term plan? Do you stay on keto for ever? Is it not pretty unhealthy to do so?
    No, it’s not unhealthy long term, amd i’m enjoying the food a lot. The challenge of every meal. 
    I’ve just had all my blood work done, doctor was seriously impressed. 
    Said I was as healthy as a horse, other than my comedy genetic autoimmune issues. 
    I’m having Christmas off, looking forward to some home made pasta and roast potatoes, but will go back in Keto in the new year.  I don’t eat meat. 
    I’ve knocked alcohol on the head completely, don’t miss it, won’t be going back to that. 
    It’s now not about weight loss, it’s about not having intestinal and john pain. Keto seems to suit my system, carby food seems in inflame my joints, and digestive system . Causes me a lot of problems. 
    Luckily, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Bidley said:
    Almond flour I find is sometimes called ground almonds in supermarkets. Sainsbury's near me does it.

Okay .... that was interesting. A much less cheesy base than my regular keto pizza. But because of that, seemed more sensitive to toppings. I made two pizzas - a Hawiain type of thing, ham and pineapple... and then another where I slapped on sausage and garlic. Even though I love sausage and garlic, I didn't enjoy that one as much. 

What's your regular keto pizza recipe? And why the fuck are you putting fruit on it?!

Honestly I don't know. I know for sure I'll never go back to the levels of carbs I was eating. I'll probably stop tracking exact measurements and just eat much less bread, pasta, spuds etc and just eat sensibly. I don't have much of a sweet tooth either so I won't eat sugar unless on special occasions. I drink maybe once a year now so that'll continue.

One thing I know for sure is that my body just puts carbs straight on my gut. I've done the calorie counting thing, and unless I cut carbs I'm on a hiding to nothing.

I'm in the best shape of my life and feel better than ever - I certainly don't feel unhealthy.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6155
    @LastMantra - as mentioned above, I'm not strict-keto, so I'm not fussed about regular-but-infrequent carb meals. The difference for me is that I used to have a diet that was muesli for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and then rice/pasta/etc for dinner. At least 5 days a week.

A side benefit for me - and one you will find mentioned here and there online - my acid reflux problem is MUCH reduced.

I have been on PPI for years and still had bouts of it, but since going low-carb, I have episodes very infrequently and I've dropped the PPI dose. It appears that carbs support certain gas-producing bacteria in the gut. Less carbs = less bacteria food = less gas = less pressure on a weak hiatus hernia = less acid in the oesophagus.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850

No. I've navigated more towards nutrition than a particular dedicated diet, but choosing the best, most nutritious food will lead you towards low carb and away from the NHS Eatwell Plate, which is a poor diet. 
  • Cool, glad it's working for yous.
  • Bidley said:
    Bidley said:

What's your regular keto pizza recipe? And why the fuck are you putting fruit on it?!
    I love pineapple on pizza ;)

Regular recipe is a mozarella base with cheddar as the thickener, rather than a low-carb flour alternative.

Bit of brie on pizza is nice too!!

I'm a cheese fienddddddd

Bye!

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    poopot said:
    As a diabetic ketosis can be a pathway to ketoacidosis... very bad!!!! It can do that if you don’t have diabetes as well...

you want to lose weight it’s simple...

get off your arse, do some exercise and burn more calories than you take in!!!
    I would add resistance training specifically.  Building muscle is a more effective way to burn calories and control weight than jogging and other cardio.  If you lift weights a few times per week, you only need maybe 30+ minutes of good hard cardio per week.  

Strength is good.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Cranky said:
    poopot said:
    As a diabetic ketosis can be a pathway to ketoacidosis... very bad!!!! It can do that if you don’t have diabetes as well...

you want to lose weight it’s simple...

get off your arse, do some exercise and burn more calories than you take in!!!
    I would add resistance training specifically.  Building muscle is a more effective way to burn calories and control weight than jogging and other cardio.  If you lift weights a few times per week, you only need maybe 30+ minutes of good hard cardio per week.  

Strength is good.
    Ketoacidosis is not generally caused by a Ketogenic diet, that's a popular misconception. Link to a paper below.

Poopot is right to point out that any dietary changes should be considered, especially if you have an underlying condition. 

However, a lot of people will struggle to really improve general health with just exercise. I believe that nutrition dictates body shape, and exercise shapes your physique. 

Incidentally, the Ketogenic diet has been around over 100 years and was first used to treat epilepsy in children. Successfully. 

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketoacidosis.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can't out-exercise a terrible diet, even if it is weights. Which is another thing I need to get back on. Since we moved house I've not done any resistance stuff, been too busy!

Bye!

• Emp_Fab said:
    Drew.  I will say this for the final time.  Please stop trying to engage me in conversation.  That ship sailed, and sunk, a long time ago.  I have you on ignore now.  I only clicked on your post as I suspected - correctly - that you were trying to pretend that everything was cool between us.  It isn't.  It never will be.  Why can't you just go about your business on the forum without addressing me ?
    Very mature post Emp, and gently said... good for you.
    @Wazmeister , well you say that; however @Emp_Fab finishes it with a question which may encourage @WiresDreamDisasters to respond.  The cycle continues.