Netflix and other streaming recommendations for the lockin?

What's Hot

Comments

• anyone tried Babylon Berlin

Heard so much about it - Just started and only 3 episodes into it so far but starting to get intriguing 
    Yeah, seen the first 2 seasons. Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourites of recent years. Itching to start the new series, but I cancelled my Now TV subscription. Might have to restart it...

boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    Just watched Pillars of the Earth on My5, a cracking adaptation of Ken Follett’s book. Ian MacShane is a naughty mediaeval bishop, Eddie Redmayne is the hero. The sequel is on there too. 

Mrs B likes Outlander and Discovery of Witches on Now. 
    Binge watched both the Ken Follet things. Both good if you like historical dramas. Annoyingly the last two episodes of World Without End are missing. 

Wait, what? There's a TV adaptation of World Without End?! When did that happen? I love those books!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    anyone tried Babylon Berlin

Heard so much about it - Just started and only 3 episodes into it so far but starting to get intriguing 
    Yeah, seen the first 2 seasons. Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourites of recent years. Itching to start the new series, but I cancelled my Now TV subscription. Might have to restart it...

boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    Just watched Pillars of the Earth on My5, a cracking adaptation of Ken Follett’s book. Ian MacShane is a naughty mediaeval bishop, Eddie Redmayne is the hero. The sequel is on there too. 

Mrs B likes Outlander and Discovery of Witches on Now. 
    Binge watched both the Ken Follet things. Both good if you like historical dramas. Annoyingly the last two episodes of World Without End are missing. 

Wait, what? There's a TV adaptation of World Without End?! When did that happen? I love those books!
    Made a few years back I think but I don’t remember it ever going out on mainstream tv? It’s still on My5 at the moment. It’s very good, Ken Follett is a production adviser so it’s very faithful to the book. 

I like Follet’s historical stuff but not so keen on his earlier action adventure books. Have you read the Century Trilogy? 
  • blackrgblackrg Frets: 17
    For lovers of crime thrillers..I can recommend Billions free on Now TV (also Sky Atlantic) ..It stars Damien Lewis and Paul Giamati as Hedge fund Billionaire and Prosecutor going 'head to head' . Produced by Andrew Ross Sorkin journalist writer of Too Big to Fail.'
    Top deals and Respekt to these fretboarders! beexter, bluechargeboy, John_BlackWolf
    chugington, theguitarist182, DPC, Nige458

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
    edited April 2020
    jaytmon said:
    Really getting into Altered Carbon at the mo. I just know season 2 will be a let down though.

Great ain't it! If you've not read the book trilogy then you're in for a treat. They are absolutely mofu hard as nails science fiction at its very best. I chanced on the Altered Carbon book for 50p in a local charity sale a few years ago, before all the 'fuss', and it damn well blew my bloody socks off! grin 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    I don’t usually watch tv series but I have a friend staying during lockdown who is an addict.We’ve watched The Tunnel and Riviera. Both are excellent tv. Berlin Babylon is fabulous too if you don’t mind subtitles.
  • Anybody had a go at Devs on the iPlayer? It's a kinda techy/sci-fi mystery thriller thing set in Silicon Valley. Based on an Alex Garland novel.

I'm 4 episodes in and can't make my mind up about it. It's intriguing, but I know absolutely bollock all about programming/coding or anything like that, so largely don't have a clue what they're talking about!

I'm gonna persist with it as it has some excellent reviews. I suspect if you actually know something about computers then you'll probably get a lot more out of it than I am!

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Baghdad Central on Netflix. Thought it was going to be shite, but I was pleasantly surprised.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader

Anybody had a go at Devs on the iPlayer? It's a kinda techy/sci-fi mystery thriller thing set in Silicon Valley. Based on an Alex Garland novel.

I'm 4 episodes in and can't make my mind up about it. It's intriguing, but I know absolutely bollock all about programming/coding or anything like that, so largely don't have a clue what they're talking about!

I'm gonna persist with it as it has some excellent reviews. I suspect if you actually know something about computers then you'll probably get a lot more out of it than I am!

I'm really enjoying it.

Up to episode 6 so far.

I'm a software engineer and know a reasonable amount about physics and it's not making me angry so that's high praise.
    The quantum physics stuff is a bit silly but it's in service of the plot so you have to let it go.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Time trap on Netflix, engaging little film 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920

Anybody had a go at Devs on the iPlayer? It's a kinda techy/sci-fi mystery thriller thing set in Silicon Valley. Based on an Alex Garland novel.

Really enjoying this, and (more surprisingly) so is Our Maud, who hates SF-type stuff.

We're up to episode 7, so saving the grand finale until tomorrow night.  There's been some good acting and some neat plot twists (we wondered what had happened to the Russians!) - can't wait for the denouement!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    giving House of Cards a go, not bad, worth a watch
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    giving House of Cards a go, not bad, worth a watch
    Uk original or US reboot? Both would be excellent choices!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    US now, seen the UK one ages ago
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    Just watched Into the night via Netflix, really good Sci-fi series, it's in French with subtitles. Did try to switch to English but just doesn't sound right.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Billions

just discovered “Bosch” on Prime.
    Its a bit formulaic but it’s stuffed full of guys from The Wire and I’m enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    edited May 2020
    Had a football podcast on yesterday & Adam Buxton mentioned his lastest favourite programme he has ever seen called Counterpart

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/

Bollocks! Just realised you have to pay another £5 to watch it on Amazon Primes Starz Service, shame really as it sounded interesting.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    We've been watching Arrested Development. Wasn't expecting much, but it's genuinely brilliant, with lots of actual LOL bits (especially in the second season).

Seems to be an American take on quite British humour, with a lot of it being quite subtle... and a lot of it not so subtle.

Plus interesting to see Mallory Archer and Cheryl Tunt in real-life :)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Just bringing this back from the dead to recommend THE LAST DANCE on Netflix.

The story of Michael Jordan, his time with the Chicago Bulls and his historic 6 championships he won whilst playing there. 

Everyone knows who he is, but this is a rare insight into what it took him and the teams he played on, to win as much as they did. 

Probably the best sports documentary series I've ever watched. Even if you're not a massive basketball fan (I'm not, although I liked it more growing up, which was the mid-late 90s, so around the same time frame), I think you'd enjoy it. As it's a great insight into how elite athletes tick and how they become as successful as they do. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Kermode and Mayo recommended The Eddy on Netflix which is semi inspired by Whiplash I think, the comings and goings of a jazz band in Paris. So, that’s somewhere on my watch list.
    I've started on Van Der Valk on ITV, it’s okay but I get to say ooh I’ve been there quite a bit which is really the fun part. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.