Netflix and other streaming recommendations for the lockin?

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Not seen either of these mentioned but I thought they were great:

American Gods  - Prime   . 
    The Witcher  - Netflix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    joneve said:
    Just bringing this back from the dead to recommend THE LAST DANCE on Netflix.

The story of Michael Jordan, his time with the Chicago Bulls and his historic 6 championships he won whilst playing there. 

Everyone knows who he is, but this is a rare insight into what it took him and the teams he played on, to win as much as they did. 

Probably the best sports documentary series I've ever watched. Even if you're not a massive basketball fan (I'm not, although I liked it more growing up, which was the mid-late 90s, so around the same time frame), I think you'd enjoy it. As it's a great insight into how elite athletes tick and how they become as successful as they do. 

Its OK- nothing groundbreaking if you're into nba. It was partially produced by MJ himself, so some of the details were spared. Ep 9&10 were really good though.

If you liked it I would recommend 30 for 30 series - especially "When Garden was Eden", "Best of Enemies", and "Everybody hates Christain Laettner" - and plenty other ones not basketball related. 

I wouldn't count on any attention from TFB community as they were surprised why Kobe Bryant's death was a big deal as they have never heard of him.
  • I'm looking to start something new this week. Got two things on my radar but can't decide...

Either 

A) State Of Happiness - iplayer. I've heard it pitched to me as 'Like Mad Men, but set in Norway

Or

B) White Lines - Netflix. Crime caper based in Ibiza, about the drugs and clubs scene. Same producers as Money Heist (which I loved).

Anyone tried either of these?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    joneve said:

The story of Michael Jordan, his time with the Chicago Bulls and his historic 6 championships he won whilst playing there. 

Everyone knows who he is, but this is a rare insight into what it took him and the teams he played on, to win as much as they did. 

Probably the best sports documentary series I've ever watched. Even if you're not a massive basketball fan (I'm not, although I liked it more growing up, which was the mid-late 90s, so around the same time frame), I think you'd enjoy it. As it's a great insight into how elite athletes tick and how they become as successful as they do. 

Its OK- nothing groundbreaking if you're into nba. It was partially produced by MJ himself, so some of the details were spared. Ep 9&10 were really good though.

If you liked it I would recommend 30 for 30 series - especially "When Garden was Eden", "Best of Enemies", and "Everybody hates Christain Laettner" - and plenty other ones not basketball related. 

I wouldn't count on any attention from TFB community as they were surprised why Kobe Bryant's death was a big deal as they have never heard of him.
    Love the 30 for 30 series. Seen a few of the NBA ones but I’m more of an NFL fan do have watched most of those.

looking forward to Eps 9 and 10 tonight and tomorrow.
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

Love the 30 for 30 series. Seen a few of the NBA ones but I’m more of an NFL fan do have watched most of those.

NFL ones are even better! 

The one about '85 Bears and Four Falls of Buffalo are great.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    @BigBearKris what are those NFL ones called and what service are they on? Thanks. 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

NFL ones are even better! 

The one about '85 Bears and Four Falls of Buffalo are great.

@BigBearKris what are those NFL ones called and what service are they on? Thanks. 
    Theres a few great NFL Docs on Prime called "Timeline" . You can watch all the Series on the NFL Pass app. Its usually chargeable bit I think they are currently offering it for free until the new season starts.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Thanks @bobblehat I subscribe to NFL Game Pass, I'll check that series out.
    The "My Life in Football" series is also pretty good.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Really enjoying Hollywood on NF
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    bobblehat said:
    I think you mean "A Football Life"? 

but yes, that series on NFL gamepass is great. 

You can find some of the ESPN 30 for 30 episodes on Youtube of varying quality, but otherwise you'd have to watch them on BT Sport ESPN or the ESPN Player (Which is a sports streaming service for sports dedicated to ESPN) 

For those interested, there's a list of the 30 for 30 episodes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

Can personally recommend;

The U
    Run Ricky Run
    Brian and the Boz
    I Hate Christian Laettner
    Trojan War
    This was the XFL

@BigBearKris sounds like you're a basketball fan, so you might enjoy this;  SonicsGATE - the story of why Seattle was shafted and the Sonics were re-located to OKC (which is basically the reason I no longer watch the NBA or give it any money)
    joneve said:
    bobblehat said:

You can find some of the ESPN 30 for 30 episodes on Youtube of varying quality, but otherwise you'd have to watch them on BT Sport ESPN or the ESPN Player (Which is a sports streaming service for sports dedicated to ESPN) 

For those interested, there's a list of the 30 for 30 episodes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

The U
    Run Ricky Run
    Brian and the Boz
    Trojan War
    This was the XFL

@BigBearKris sounds like you're a basketball fan, so you might enjoy this;  SonicsGATE - the story of why Seattle was shafted and the Sonics were re-located to OKC (which is basically the reason I no longer watch the NBA or give it any money)
    Thanks- I haven't seen that one althought I am familiar with the Sonic/Thunder case. Yes - massive NBA and NFL fan here. Gold recommendations above too. I would add:

"Fab Five"
    "Bad Boys"
    "Best of Enemies - Lakers v Celtics"

...to the list.
    Yes  - A Football Life. The Bill Belichick one is a good one.
    joneve said:
    bobblehat said:

The U
    Run Ricky Run
    Brian and the Boz
    Trojan War
    This was the XFL

Thanks- I haven't seen that one althought I am familiar with the Sonic/Thunder case. Yes - massive NBA and NFL fan here. Gold recommendations above too. I would add:

"Fab Five"
    "Bad Boys"
    "Best of Enemies - Lakers v Celtics"

...to the list.
    SonicsGate is a bit one sided, but explains that it wasn't a business a decision, which has been peddled often. Goes into a lot of detail and is really informative. Still makes me sad I have fond memories of getting into the NBA and going to watch the Sonics when I was living in Seattle. I became a massive fan of Brent Barry before he got uber famous and won championships with the Spurs. I must be the only person who spent $250 on an authentic Barry 31 jersey haha! 
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    The Defiant Ones on Netflix is a really good series about Dr Dre, Jimmy Ivine and the rise of Interscope. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Somebody mentioned "Money Heist" above - we've just got to episode 4 of series 1, and we're enjoying it, but how the hell does this run to four series?

• duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    Noticed yesterday that Michelle Obama’s ‘Becoming’ is on there. I look forward to watching that, I wonder how close it is to her autobiography that came out last year?
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    Thinking of giving Bordertown series 3 a go after watching the first two. It tailed off towards end of second series, so not expecting too much.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I don't think I mentioned GLOW ( on Netflix) before. Season 1 is great, season 2 drags and then they went quite raunchy for Season 3.
    Loosely based on a true story there is a documentary about the original Gorgeous Ladies of Wresting on Netflix as well which is an interesting little time capsule. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited May 2020
    Nitefly said:
    Somebody mentioned "Money Heist" above - we've just got to episode 4 of series 1, and we're enjoying it, but how the hell does this run to four series?

There is a second ,even more ambitious, robbery.

Same characters as before ( bar  one fatality) , including that asshole Arturo .

They announced today there will be two more series.......... The waiting is going to be torture.