Netflix and other streaming recommendations for the lockin?

What's Hot

Comments

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

I must be the only person in the western hemisphere who hasn't seen Peaky Blinders , might start it tonight ..

Then again there is also Killing Eve..?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3843
    edited May 2020
    Started State Of Happiness on the iPlayer on Monday. 3 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

It's about the culture clash when a rundown, devoutly Christian, sleepy little fishing backwater called Stavanger (you may have heard of it!) finds oil offshore in the 60s, and the Yanks come over smelling blood. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    We're about half way through Taskmaster at the moment.

My wife was immobilised with laughter for about 5 minutes when Mel got an M&M stuck up her nose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474

My wife was immobilised with laughter for about 5 minutes when Mel got an M&M stuck up her nose.
    Incredible show. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    10thumbs said:

I must be the only person in the western hemisphere who hasn't seen Peaky Blinders , might start it tonight ..

Then again there is also Killing Eve..?

I could only manage one episode , thought it was garbage.

Killing Eve is brilliant though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

I love a bit of Modern Life is Goodish as well if you are on the UK TVPlay app. I suspect it's a bit dated in parts now but it is brilliant at times -  catphrases has become part of our family vocabulary. There is a follow up which is Terms and Conditions Apply which is a poor substitute. Original content on Dave a bit limited and a bit crap, Taskmaster and Goodish very much the cream of the crop.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Just got free Amazon Prime for 6 months, so we watched:
    • Picard. Pretty good, especially with its Bladerunner-esque cross-over subject matter. Thought I was seeing things with the young and slinky Deanna Troi (who wasn't). Final episode seemed a bit focus-grouped.
    • Good Omens. Lightweight fun, occasionally very clever, but it does meander a bit too much.
    • Bosch. Just started it. Seems good, but it's more straightforward than The Wire/Shield.
    If anyone knows how best to navigate the endless thumbnails of crap that is the front-end, please let me know. Amazon are IT people, surely they can give us some "never show me anything with 'Kardasians' in the title" or "Nothing with Jason Statham" filtering?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    Haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned.

Check out "Race Across the World" on iPlayer.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    Really enjoying inhuman Resources with the kung foo footballer, yes it really his him acting!
    “Ken sent me.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Stumbled across Vienna Blood on iPlayer. Just three 90 minute episodes ( so far but I think that’s it) and fairly classic crime thriller stuff but set in Vienna in 1907. Watched two so far, works for me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3680
    Zombeavers on Netflix up next!

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited June 2020
    Nitefly said:
    Somebody mentioned "Money Heist" above - we've just got to episode 4 of series 1, and we're enjoying it, but how the hell does this run to four series?

Ha it's good. We enjoyed it But. Be warned. I think it stops after a few episodes into one of the seasons. Not sure if more episodes are available yet. On second thoughts I think we did see the ending. 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3843
    edited June 2020
    JAYJO said:
    Nitefly said:
    Somebody mentioned "Money Heist" above - we've just got to episode 4 of series 1, and we're enjoying it, but how the hell does this run to four series?

Ha it's good. We enjoyed it But. Be warned. I think it stops after a few episodes into one of the seasons. Not sure if more episodes are available yet. 
    Erm, I think you need to check your Netflix account! I binged all 4 seasons a few weeks ago with no problem. It's a Netflix original so there's zero reason for them to take any episodes off.

Latest recommendation - I've just watched the second series of 'Save Me', the Lennie James created/Jed Mercurio produced Sky drama. Stars Lennie James, Suranne Jones and Stephen Graham. It's excellent and continues the story of the first brilliantly. Word of warning though - it's fucking grim. It's about child abduction/prostitution/rape/paedophilia etc and there are some truly hard to watch scenes. I probably wouldn't watch it if I had a young daughter.

Trailer for S1 if you're not familiar with it...

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2920
    Too long a thread for me to arsed to read it all, but we binged Uploaded on Amazon last weekend.  That was very good

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    Another vote for Lodge 49, which is lovely - only season one is on Amazon at the moment, but hopefully season two will be along in a bit (I cracked and resurrected my torrenting skillz). About a surfer who falls in with a sort-of-masonic society. It is Pynchonish, but what people don't realise is that even though Pynchon's books are very long and beloved of Very Serious Chinstrokers, he's actually a lot more like The Big Lebowski most of the time than anything heavy. 

And the music choices are excellent. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    JAYJO said:
    Nitefly said:

Ha it's good. We enjoyed it But. Be warned. I think it stops after a few episodes into one of the seasons. Not sure if more episodes are available yet. On second thoughts I think we did see the ending. 
    Cheers, @JAYJO , we've just got to the end of series 1, and it's hooked us in more than we thought it would!

And @Dontgiveupyourdayjob yes, we can see the next 3 series available in Netflix, so that should keep us quiet for a while  :)

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    JAYJO said:
    Nitefly said:

Ha it's good. We enjoyed it But. Be warned. I think it stops after a few episodes into one of the seasons. Not sure if more episodes are available yet. 
    Erm, I think you need to check your Netflix account! I binged all 4 seasons a few weeks ago with no problem. It's a Netflix original so there's zero reason for them to take any episodes off.

Latest recommendation - I've just watched the second series of 'Save Me', the Lennie James created/Jed Mercurio produced Sky drama. Stars Lennie James, Suranne Jones and Stephen Graham. It's excellent and continues the story of the first brilliantly. Word of warning though - it's fucking grim. It's about child abduction/prostitution/rape/paedophilia etc and there are some truly hard to watch scenes. I probably wouldn't watch it if I had a young daughter.

Trailer for S1 if you're not familiar with it...

While I thought S1 was very good, I did think they ramped up the misery a tad too much in S2. It got a bit too much at times and didn't seem to let up. Also Nelly became so unlikeable in S2 I found it hard to root for him. Obviously losing his daughter drove him to desperate measures, but he also seemed to lose his redeeming features. Great all round cast though, and brilliantly acted.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    edited June 2020
    Preacher on Amazon is great 

Mandown with Greg Davies and the late great Rick Mayall as his dad is  one of the funniest shows ever

Also another vote for the Wire
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    edited June 2020
    I finished Season 7 of The Office (American version) and plan on not watching it anymore, as I have heard it goes downhill without the main man in it.  Would like to start a new quality series, not sure what though. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Just started Ozark, after binging all of Arrested Devlopment. At least Ozark explains how they got all the money for the Banana stand.....