FAIR WARNING: LOL/Wow/Wis changes

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
edited July 2020 in Off Topic
After much discussion over the years, and much ruckus regarding abuse of the reactions system, we've made the decision to de-anonymise the frets.

That means that, from this evening, everybody will be able to see who's hit LOL/Wow/Wis on any given comment. The hope is that this will stop the passive-aggressive LOL-stalking etc.

This will also apply historically, so if you think you've been LOL-stalking someone...you might want to go back and remove them if you want to keep your anonymity (good luck with that...).

Now, there is a really important bit of information here: anybody who starts arguments over post reactions in public will get a warning, and if they persist they'll be going in the cooler. If you have a problem with somebody who's reacted to one of your posts, you deal with it like a grown-up - either by PM, or not at all.

UPDATE: 'tis done. Just hover over the LOL/Wow/Wis counts (ie the actual numbers) to see who your fans are. This probably won't work on mobile devices due to limitations of the platform, but I may see what I can do about that in the future.
<space for hire>
25reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 29reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    I imagine some people's fret counts are going to take a tumble as all those LOL-stalking frets are hurriedly removed by their stalkers
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    This is going to be interesting
    I think you've probably shot yourself in the foot with the well-intentioned transparency ;there will be a hundred on-going feuds albeit by pm traffic......and the retrospective facility will throw fuel on the fire of old wounds.....it makes you agent Provocateur
    Would have been more sensible to simply omit the LOL /WIS/WOW altogether if a more harmonious panorama was the intention..........it means bugger-all and is actually quite childish in a "yeah ,what he said " kind of way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    Meh. Bring back facepalms at the same time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I think it would make more sense to just get rid of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Isnt this just going to cause arguments? I've been LOL'd inappropriately.  Who cares?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Jock68 will finally have his revenge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    edited July 2020
    Dominic said:
    I think you've probably shot yourself in the foot with the well-intentioned transparency ;there will be a hundred on-going feuds albeit by pm traffic......and the retrospective facility will throw fuel on the fire of old wounds.....it makes you agent Provocateur
    Would have been more sensible to simply omit the LOL /WIS/WOW altogether if a more harmonious panorama was the intention..........it means bugger-all and is actually quite childish in a "yeah ,what he said " kind of way.

1 - If people have a problem with each other, they can sort it out by PM. I really don't care what goes on by PM, unless it's illegal. If it spills out into the public areas, then there's a problem; the point of this is accountability.

2 - We won't be getting rid of the reactions, because they provide several useful functions for the forum as a whole, rather than in individual cases.

3 - (EDIT) It's not designed to make things more harmonious. The intent is to provide accountability, which appears to be the only thing that makes people act like adults. There may be a little more work for the mods in the short term, but long-term I'm 99% sure it's going to have the right effect while preserving the functionality.

goldtop said:
    There is some discussion of this. That'd be...interesting
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:

1 - If people have a problem with each other, they can sort it out by PM. I really don't care what goes on by PM, unless it's illegal. If it spills out into the public areas, then there's a problem; the point of this is accountability.

2 - We won't be getting rid of the reactions, because they provide several useful functions for the forum as a whole, rather than in individual cases.

goldtop said:
    There is some discussion of this. That'd be...interesting ;)
    What are the useful functions outside of provocative entertainment ?
     ( which may well be a useful function in itself )
    I'm genuinely curious
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:

goldtop said:
    There is some discussion of this. That'd be...interesting ;)
    I'm genuinely curious
    That's been discussed to death in previous threads (when we've made changes), but in short...it massively reduces the number of value-less "+1" comments, and keeping a high valuable-content proportion is pretty much our only business. There's more to it, obviously, in things like viewing someone's profile will give you a good idea as to whether they're generally a comedian or someone informative (as well as how much the membership as a whole values their contributions), and it's actually a better measure than the simple post count that's present on most forums. 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tone1 said:
    Feeling a bit like that myself, actually :D
    <space for hire>
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    tone1 said:
    Feeling a bit like that myself, actually :D
    I can only imagine  :)
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Dominic said:
    I'm genuinely curious 

If used well then I would assume that it gives the poster feedback on what kind of comments people like and want more of, and perhaps what isn't so useful. 

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Now worries here - I don’t lol stalk anyone.

However I have clumsily hit the reactions when scrolling through posts before usually wows (I only use my phone and it’s easy to do) and I’m sure it’ll happen again. 

The system will highlight these accidents and possibly bring about unnecessary enquiries from people who are extra sensitive. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    relic245 said:
    Dominic said:
    I'm genuinely curious 

If used well then I would assume that it gives the poster feedback on what kind of comments people like and want more of, and perhaps what isn't so useful. 

Absolutely...If I post a pedal in Classifieds and I see lots of LoL’s I would assume I’ve overpriced it, and maybe people haven’t wanted to PM me or publicly air their views. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I think it's a good idea. Lack of anonymity *should* promote a somewhat self-regulating forum. Hopefully.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    This is gonna be ACE! 

Lumped together with the boozers re-opening: The Admin/Mod Interventions thread’ll be on FIRE :D  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I will be interested to see who has the same sense of humour as me and appreciates my jests
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
     On the whole I think it's a good idea but I can't see the point of doing it historically*. It would be better just to start with a clean slate.

* I don't Lol stalk so it won't affect me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Just worth noting..........nobody has WISD or LOLLED a single response to the OP on this thread !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom