FAIR WARNING: LOL/Wow/Wis changes

What's Hot

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited July 2020
    Hmmm I don't think I use them inappropriately, but then I do float around the forum late in the evening after consuming inadvisably large amounts of cloudy and lethal IPA or good, strong Argentinia fighting wine so I cannot in good faith guarantee that I haven't occasionally been a dick.   Perhaps bringing back the facepalm might help me recognise my sins when I catch up with posts in the hazy light of a morning hangover...

I might review my home security setup and perhaps clear out all of the guitar cases from the panic room...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    Kilgore said:
     On the whole I think it's a good idea but I can't see the point of doing it historically*. It would be better just to start with a clean slate.

* I don't Lol stalk so it won't affect me. 
    That would turn it from a lightweight query and an hour of work this morning while I was bored into a heavyweight query on a huge table and a whole day of trying fruitlessly to optimise it, leading to a possible server upgrade to cope with it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, how can we see who has LOLd/Wisdomed etc? Like, could you show examples/details?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    Dominic said:
    Just worth noting..........nobody has WISD or LOLLED a single response to the OP on this thread !
    (almost) true - but I got plenty out of it, so I don't care about anybody else.
    <space for hire>
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Mmm...I quite like the Wiz one....it’s sort of saying thanks

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Dominic said:
    Just worth noting..........nobody has WISD or LOLLED a single response to the OP on this thread !
    (almost) true - but I got plenty out of it, so I don't care about anybody else.
    WizWhore.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Would it be a huge amount of work to change it so we can give more than one - a lol and wis would handy
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4135
    edited July 2020
    Why on earth is anybody getting upset about what button someone else clicks, it makes literally no difference to anybodys' life?  Don't even think about it when someone clicks an arbitrary button which has no meaning.   Lol it, Wis it, Wow it, or change the labels to A, B, C it makes zero difference. 

One man's Lol= haha what an idiot could easily mean Lol=haha yeah i'm with you buddy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Kilgore said:
     On the whole I think it's a good idea but I can't see the point of doing it historically*. It would be better just to start with a clean slate.

* I don't Lol stalk so it won't affect me. 
    That would turn it from a lightweight query and an hour of work this morning while I was bored into a heavyweight query on a huge table and a whole day of trying fruitlessly to optimise it, leading to a possible server upgrade to cope with it.
    Understood.

I assumed technical complexity was the issue preventing a "clean slate" 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19013
    Should this helpful advice not also appear in the "Help & Feedback" section??
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Now where would be the fun in that? If I were in charge, I’d just flick the switch with no warning whatsoever to exercise my godlike caprice/for shits & giggles.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Why on earth is anybody getting upset about what button someone else clicks, it makes literally no difference to anybodys' life?  Don't even think about it when someone clicks an arbitrary button which has no meaning.   Lol it, Wis it, Wow it, or change the labels to A, B, C it makes zero difference. 

One man's Lol= haha what an idiot could easily mean Lol=haha yeah i'm with you buddy.
    I agree with you and don't care for them much but there's been a fair few examples where clearly lol stalking was causing a big aggro to some forum members...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19013
    JerkMoans said:
    Now where would be the fun in that? If I were in charge, I’d just flick the switch with no warning whatsoever to exercise my godlike caprice/for shits & giggles.
    "As private parts to the gods are we, they play with us for their sport."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2020

Well we're all different. Some people get turned off by the website when they say X, and then dozens of lols turn up on their posts - ones that had nothing to do with the original point - all within the same time period.

And people get upset or frustrated because we all handle things differently.

Basically it's a bullying and and "othering" tactic, and it will be interesting to see if the lack of anonymity stops it.

Personally I don't think it will. Most people are already anonymous by virtue of their username.

Bye!

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    So how do we get to see who did what?  
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    I couldn't resist giving you a LOL @WiresDreamDisasters just because I am free to do so.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ;)

Bye!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    I think it's an entertaining idea, we'll see what happens though when a serious comment of mine gets lol'd grrr.

I think we might get some LOL wars going initally but then it'll tail off once ppl realise they're making arses of themselves, self policing community and all that. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Can anyone provide an example of someone whos been 'lol-stalked'? Seems a pretty pathetic thing for someone to do - I think the anonymity must play a big part of it surely, its a sort of childish no accountability bullying - if you have to show who you are it loses a lot of its potency one would have thought
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    mgaw said:
    I couldn't resist giving you a LOL @WiresDreamDisasters just because I am free to do so.  
    Wait until you can facepalm him (again) instead ...

kin said:
    So how do we get to see who did what?  
    When Lee has implemented the change, you'll be able to hover over the number showing the number of LOLs/Wows/Wis for your post, and a little pop up list will appear showing who LOL'd (etc) the post.

That's not going to work so well on a small device (phone).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.