Steve Wright must be stopped.

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The older Dj schtick can work though, especially on Radio 2, my missus listens to Ken Bruce in the mornings to do pop master and I must say he can be very droll and amusing. I know his target audience is somewhat older but there is intelligence 
    and a good deal of professionalism there. He can be very self deprecating which  Wrighty would never be.

He is genuinely a lovely bloke which I think comes across in the shows.
    I did a project on his studio and he came and had a pint with the engineers and said thank you which pretty much no one else ever did.
    I like Bruce, he is funny and he does seem interested in the music. Bruce and Wright are old school radio presenters rather than the celebs that Radio 2 seem to go in for who struggle to present ( although Lisa Tarbuck is fine, leave her alone). I just think as it's music based radio the person presenting it should have some vague idea about music ( and only knowing about The Beatles and the bands that played on your TV show in the 90s doesn't count Chris Evans). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    I miss Bob Harris’ late night show that melded classic tracks with emerging artists. I seem to remember it being on earlier in the day before it got relegated to a graveyard shift, and couldn’t work out why...then it was dropped altogether. He played some of the best music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Jeremy Vine would be a lot more deserving of this thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    I had an ex who used to listen to Sunday love songs every week, which SW does now... it was just excruciating, and as he was reading the stories and dedications out he sounded to me like he was doing it sarcastically.

Back in the R1 days though it was his show where I first heard the joke "Houston, we have a problem: Bobby Brown wants to marry your daughter", which I and a few colleagues who also heard it found very funny
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    The older Dj schtick can work though, especially on Radio 2, my missus listens to Ken Bruce in the mornings to do pop master and I must say he can be very droll and amusing. I know his target audience is somewhat older but there is intelligence 
    and a good deal of professionalism there. He can be very self deprecating which  Wrighty would never be.

I did a project on his studio and he came and had a pint with the engineers and said thank you which pretty much no one else ever did.
    Did we ever work in the same place at the same time? I was in LBH in 1988 - 1990. Then returned again from 94 - 99.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    exocet said:

Did we ever work in the same place at the same time? I was in LBH in 1988 - 1990. Then returned again from 94 - 99.
    I was there working on the tech side of the rebuild project from '99 onwards.  We've probably all seen each other without knowing it!

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    He may well be very professional and he may well have never mucked up on air but neither of those means that he is entertaining, just good at being dull. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:

I was there working on the tech side of the rebuild project from '99 onwards.  We've probably all seen each other without knowing it!

I worked there from 2002-2008

I was working in projects rather than engineering.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Snap said:
    Radio 2 depresses me. Its a radio station for people who have given up on life IMO. The epitome of middle of the road, bland shite.
    As for Steve Wright, well he's just an annoying self satisfied twat isn't he? 
    Terrible. 
    Tell us what you really think - don't hold back!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I don't much care for radio, TBH; the DJ's put me off.

Exceptions are Whispering Bob Harris and Darren Redick (whom I met and chatted with before I knew who he was). Danny Bowes ain't bad on Planet Rock too.

I can't be doing with fake friendly enthusiasm, can you guess the year?, and top-10 lists.
  • McToot said:
    I used to like his characters when he was on Radio 1, Arnie would turn up occasionally and shoot the place up "uzi 9mm arsehole"

Elvis was good as well.
    Wis.  And the chap that did the Keef and Mick voices - they were fab. 
    That was a long time ago, but I did enjoy Keef describing his collection of Baby Belling ovens.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    TheMarlin said:
    I can’t stand Steve Wright. When I come to power and rule the world, I’m going to make him illegal suffer.
    ftfy
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    dindude said:
    Dominic said:
    he would have been hurt .
    Yeah, sounds like you hung out with people who were pleasant, polite and humble!
    Some were.........but others were typical Patch !%ers
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    edited July 2020
    I haven’t listened to him but recognise the name. As he’s on soon today (2-4.15pm) I’ll give him a listen.

One of my favourite DJs is Johnny Vaughn, but I know tonnes who of people can’t stand him.

Edit: Only heard the first half hour and half hour near the end & it seemed fine. He likes pressing his crowd noise style buttons doesn’t he? Noticed a couple of times singing over the song intros.  Not a bad mix of music, although not much I would add to a Spotify Playlist personally.  Overall it was ok & I wouldn’t mind listening to it again.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2020
    Are we taking about Steve Wright the DJ or Steve Wright the prostitute hating serial killer?

Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

duotone said:
    I haven’t listened to him but recognise the name. As he’s on soon today (2-4.15pm) I’ll give him a listen.

One of my favourite DJs is Johnny Vaughn, but I know tonnes who of people can’t stand him.

I'm liking the metric measurement of hate. I think Vaughan's show is just London and Manchester? So quite a lot of us unlikely to have heard him in recent years.

My son was a presenter on a community radio station here and then pre Covid a weekly slot on Leeds University radio. So, obvs, he's my favourite radio presenter - even if just because it got him out the bloody house. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited July 2020
    What a train wreck. He looks like a botched anton lavey waxwork 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    Iamnobody said:
    Are we taking about Steve Wright the DJ or Steve Wright the prostitute hating serial killer?

Both I think , one kills records the other kills Roxanne
    “Ken sent me.”
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985

duotone said:

I'm liking the metric measurement of hate. I think Vaughan's show is just London and Manchester? So quite a lot of us unlikely to have heard him in recent years.

My son was a presenter on a community radio station here and then pre Covid a weekly slot on Leeds University radio. So, obvs, he's my favourite radio presenter - even if just because it got him out the bloody house. 

duotone said:

@EricTheWeary ;
    I didn’t know he was only on those 2. Atm he is on Radio X (formerly Xfm) 4-7pm on weekdays.

duotone said:

duotone said:

duotone said:

@EricTheWeary ;
    I didn’t know he was only on those 2. Atm he is on Radio X (formerly Xfm) 4-7pm on weekdays.

On FM Radio X is just London and Manchester although internet anywhere and they have some DAB coverage.