Neural Quad Core thing demo

What's Hot

Comments

• So being real witchu!!

I shot out the Helix and Kemper and QC tonight.

They're all fantastic and I'm keeping them all.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    So being real witchu!!

Appreciate there are pros and cons to each, but does any one of them actually sound noticeably better than the others? My only experience really is with the Helix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    So being real witchu!!

Appreciate there are pros and cons to each, but does any one of them actually sound noticeably better than the others? My only experience really is with the Helix
    Very easy to get snowblind with this stuff.

The QC sounds punchier and more 'amp like' than the Kemper.... until you plug in the Kemper and compare it.... and the Kemper with some tweaks (especially the definition parameter) then starts to sound just as amp like. Then you compare to the Helix and it sounds pants.... so then you throw in an IR instead of the stock cabs, and you tweak your favourite amp and all of a sudden 30minutes have gone by without you even noticing.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10265
    I've got one. 

Lots of the presets have a high fizzy nature to them. A cut at 8k seems to fix this. I think it's the stock cabs and I don't hear it as much with the captures. 

Work flow is excellent. 

I'll take it to practice tomorrow and will really know then. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    I've got one. 

Lots of the presets have a high fizzy nature to them. A cut at 8k seems to fix this. I think it's the stock cabs and I don't hear it as much with the captures. 

Work flow is excellent. 

Isn't that 'standard practice' with any modeller though...? I always do a high cut at at least 8k (currently have a 12dB rolloff at 6.5k on the AFX3).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    FarleyUK said:
    I've got one. 

Work flow is excellent. 

Isn't that 'standard practice' with any modeller though...? I always do a high cut at at least 8k (currently have a 12dB rolloff at 6.5k on the AFX3).
    Well, it's possible but on the FM3 I've got this BE100 profile and I've had to do very little with it. In fact I've found I have to do very little with the FM3 in general. The Kemper profiles I had always had EQ stomps all over it so you're probably right. 
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    I've not had the need of high cutting with the QC, although you might be using it for higher gain stuff (I play mostly classic rock gain levels). Have you tried a different cabs? I'm quite partial to the surh 2x12 with v-type speakers
    onyir said:
    I've not had the need of high cutting with the QC, although you might be using it for higher gain stuff (I play mostly classic rock gain levels). Have you tried a different cabs? I'm quite partial to the surh 2x12 with v-type speakers
    Yea it's there quite on a lot. I don't play super high gain. Like EVH type stuff. It's okay, a high cut isn't a huge deal. I think it may be the cab speaker position too. 
    So I used the QC at practice last night. 

It sounded excellent. It was very easy to get a good sound, it was very easy to set up a bee preset. The effects are limited but I still felt the ones I used sounded pretty great. Literally zero option paralysis and it still sounded good. 

The buttons were close together but I was largely fine. 

I do feel that the signal chain is limited and you get fucked by the reverb. I don’t understand why if it says I’ve only used 65% of CPU why I can’t add more effects. 

Overall I really enjoyed using it. The FM3 is obviously the better unit overall but I felt it sounded as good, or extremely close and it’s much easier to use than the Fractal. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    With the QC, can you capture a signal chain in multiple places? 

I.e could I capture my amp through a mic and send that to FOH, but also split the signal to feed and SS amp+ cab ? 
  • sgosden said:
    With the QC, can you capture a signal chain in multiple places? 

I.e could I capture my amp through a mic and send that to FOH, but also split the signal to feed and SS amp+ cab ? 
    Yes. Just take one capture of your amp, and put it through an IR on a separate path.

Or alternatively, capture your amp-only profile, and then your amp+cab+microphone profile, and send one to your on stage amp and the other to FOH.

Bye!

• I really love the way this thing sounds!

Bye!

edited May 2021
    So I’ve got a QC on a board powered by a Cioks DC7. It’s very cool. I'm gonna add another DVP3 soon, but aside from that it's done.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Huh... okay.... that might be a way to go.... how is the Cioks powering it??? How much other stuff can it power at the same time??? Been a while since I was in Cioks town.

Bye!

• Development update here:
    https://neuraldsp.com/news/quad-cortex-development-update-may-2021-2

And Doug posted this on IG: 

Bye!

• uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    Nice board @Telemaster! @WiresDreamDisasters I think the QC uses 3 of the DC7's 9V sockets so you've still got four to use. Contemplating popping a DC7 under my board to power a FreqOut as well. 

This is my setup - I'm using the headphone output on the QC to run a wired IEM setup via a dual guitar/IEM cable and a Bright Onion patch box. Only had one rehearsal so far but very impressed! Plan is to have stereo band mix coming in via Return 1/2 which I can control against my guitar signal via the headphones mixer in the QC. I had to leave plenty of space between the expression pedals and the QC, as I kept accidentally hitting buttons on the QC when using the pedals.

edited May 2021
    uberscott said:
    Nice board @Telemaster! I think the QC uses 3 of the DC7's 9V sockets so you've still got four to use. Contemplating popping a DC7 under my board to power a FreqOut as well. 

This is my setup - I'm using the headphone output on the QC to run a wired IEM setup via a dual guitar/IEM cable and a Bright Onion patch box. Only had one rehearsal so far but very impressed! Plan is to have stereo band mix coming in via Return 1/2 which I can control against my guitar signal via the headphones mixer in the QC. I had to leave plenty of space between the expression pedals and the QC, as I kept accidentally hitting buttons on the QC when using the pedals.

It’s a bit more complicated that that. So you buy these parallel adapters made by Cioks called Parallel Flex adapters 8800. You need three. They allow you to double your output. Each output is set to 660ma but that’s at 9V so while you may be able to start it, it may stop the XLR working as you won’t have enough voltage. 

So you put your voltage to 12v on 4 of the outputs the output is 500ma, and then connect the cables to 1 & 2 and then 5 & 6. If you use outputs on the same side it won’t work properly. You’ll see one of the lights on one of the outputs will go out and you’ll have issues powering it. 

So you then sum the cable from 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 to the third 8800 cable. And then you use a normal 2.1mm cable from that summed cable from the power supply to go into the QC. 

That’s it. Done. Hope that helps. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    Cheers man - very useful and will definitely help! 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Was considering putting a deposit down for the next batch, but the price has gone up to £1599....!!

Quote from GuitarGuitar:

"Yep, unfortunately this has been increased due to significant increases in component costs, as the units now cost us more money to buy in from Neural."
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Wow. I think that the original price of £1500 is still quite expensive considering it's like a third finished and needs a lot of work but it is very good still.