Neural Quad Core thing demo

What's Hot

Comments

• As for the Paul Davids video:

To my ears, the QC is as far away from the amp in tone as the Kemper, just in the other direction. What it nails in the amount of gain, it loses in the frequency response accuracy. The Kemper doesn't sound as good in this video as I've had it for my tones, to my ears.

But if I was looking at selling a Kemper to get a QC, this video wouldn't convince me.

His real amp creamed them both. And I'm not a fan of those kinds of tones or playing style either!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They're saying on the group that they've fixed the problem now? 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    mrkb said:
    Paul Davids review seems less "influenced" - seems open and honest about its pros and cons, shows big gap when switching presets and clicks when changing scenes.

THE GAME CHANGER FOR GUITAR AMPS? // Neural DSP Quad Cortex (vs kemper) - YouTube
    Just watched the Paul Davids video & what really surprised me was; No changes & saving of the templates is allowed, seems very strange to me.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    duotone said:
    mrkb said:
    Paul Davids review seems less "influenced" - seems open and honest about its pros and cons, shows big gap when switching presets and clicks when changing scenes.

THE GAME CHANGER FOR GUITAR AMPS? // Neural DSP Quad Cortex (vs kemper) - YouTube
    Just watched the Paul Davids video & what really surprised me was; No changes & saving of the templates is allowed, seems very strange to me.
    Just watched this and I dont think this dude has used a Helix either. There's a number of his gripes which are across the Helix and QC, such as output choice being tied to the preset.   
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217
    Hmm. I'm wondering whether to cancel my preorder.
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    edited February 2021
    Yeah those glitches during snapshot changes are wank.

Most devices have a gap between preset changes, but I'm 99.9% sure that the Helix is faster than that!!
    ...I'm also pretty sure they swore blind it wouldn't do that when they were asked directly during the "hype" phase.
    The CEO is posting about this on the gear page thread. Apparently Paul Davids is using a beta review unit and the final version is better. 

He’s also being pretty pissy about Paul Davids not explicitly stating that it was a beta unit. 

For me, they shouldn’t be sending out beta units for review and expecting these guys to promise people that software updates will improve it. Paul can only review what he received. There’s no guarantee that the software updates will be as good as Neural are promising. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't send out a beta that isn't really ready for prime time.

Software QA 101.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217
    edited February 2021
    It's a little bit of a car crash right now, isn't it. 
  • Ehh... it's not inspiring to be honest. But I feel for them, it's a huge project and with tons of moving parts. BFD3 users will know that sometimes a beta gets released and it's garbage - we do our best. Sometimes we drop the ball. I suppose my previous comment was a little uncharitable. Because I do know how difficult it is to bring a product to market.

But even saying that, I was a QA manager for a long time - I would have strongly pushed back on releasing a build that had obvious user affecting audio defects. Any huge audio pop, blast, or glitch, could seriously put people's hearing and monitoring at risk. It's a big no-no.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PudWud said:

Most devices have a gap between preset changes, but I'm 99.9% sure that the Helix is faster than that!!
    ...I'm also pretty sure they swore blind it wouldn't do that when they were asked directly during the "hype" phase.
    The CEO is posting about this on the gear page thread. Apparently Paul Davids is using a beta review unit and the final version is better. 

He’s also being pretty pissy about Paul Davids not explicitly stating that it was a beta unit. 

For me, they shouldn’t be sending out beta units for review and expecting these guys to promise people that software updates will improve it. Paul can only review what he received. There’s no guarantee that the software updates will be as good as Neural are promising. 
    Maybe Paul Davids didn't know it was beta unit.

All sounds very shifty to me. Youtube influencer in honest opinion shocker! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    wesker123 said:
    PudWud said:

Maybe Paul Davids didn't know it was beta unit.

All sounds very shifty to me. Youtube influencer in honest opinion shocker! 
    You know its truth when Rhett Shull has criticisms (and I quite like him if you look past the bullshit). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    edited February 2021
    The obvious answer is to have a faded-but-visible watermark on all screens saying "BETA", so that it doesn't matter whether it gets mentioned or not.

With that said, pops and glitches should not be present in beta. Maybe an alpha preview, but a beta version should be a release candidate that needs wider testing with all known bugs discovered by their internal testers fixed.

If their internal testers can't identify a massive issue like that which would entirely prevent live use, or their engineers can't fix it, I'd venture to suggest that they need a better testing team. Either that or they need to fire the management who pushed so hard for such an unrealistic deadline that it was released to beta without being rectified.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    PudWud said:

Paul says in the last couple minutes (during his conclusion) “But I also learned to never buy something based on promised software updates”
  • Also, another thing I've noticed...until this week, I've genuinely never heard the Kemper sound quite so different to the amp it's profiling. I mean...suddenly, Kemper profiles in YouTube videos are almost unrecognisable in A/B tests against the original amp.

1/2/3/4/5/6 years ago, they were almost indistinguishable.

What's changed? Apart from the product which was being promoted, of course.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I'm kinda relieved to see Neural are still acting in a pretty dickish and unprofessional manner. That's a big reason I cancelled my pre-order for this (along with the lack of feedback, questionable 'reviews', lack of transparency, lack of answers to major questions, major 'promised' functions and modules missing on launch, CEO acting in a completely unprofessional manner towards people on TGP etc.).

Just seems like you're setting yourself up for a fall if you jump on the bandwagon right at the start with this. Give it a year or two, and it'll either be amazing, or there will be much better products available (and who's not to say the FM3 / Kemper / Helix isn't going to be 'better' than the QC anyway...?).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Nathan Navarro demo

I think I want one.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    I'm not fussed about delay in Patch changes - that seems to be unavoidable without adding another core just for patch changes and that means more money.

But the Scenes changes need to be as fast as Helix Snapshot changes otherwise it's not a live tool for me.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'm not fussed about delay in Patch changes - that seems to be unavoidable without adding another core just for patch changes and that means more money.

But the Scenes changes need to be as fast as Helix Snapshot changes otherwise it's not a live tool for me.
    The helix has sorted the preset change delay but halves the amount of stuff available. I can see how this would be super handy for some, but as you say, snapshots ftw
  • Maybe I'm missing something, as I only have an HX Stomp, but surely with the amount of blocks available on each preset/patch, you won't need to change patch mid-song, therefore not needing to worry about the delay? Is anyone really going to use up all available blocks/paths for half a song, and need to change patch for the second half?
  • @smudge_lad I think they were saying the snapshot transitions weren't seamless, but Neural are saying that's fixed in the firmware now?