So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I doubt half the population are unemployed / old. 
    Honestly guys, come on lol.... Half the vote was leave, you can't write it off. 
    Branson was on the TV this morning saying we should have another vote. 
    It's just boiling down to the fact that remain voters don't like the answer, they seem to have most sway in the media, and they want to go over the head of democracy and change the result.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Have to say all the remain voters I know are now regretting they didn't vote leave. 

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2016
    Nope in orchards.  A field - by definition - is pretty much a patch of ground with no trees in it.

I stand corrected :)

I think the title of the thread should be, "Have enough leave voters being browbeaten and changing their mind yet?"

Richardj said:
    And who will pick them once the low paid migrant workforce has been sent home?

Has the government sent people "home"? Must have missed that here in reality land ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725

Both sides exaggerated and lied.... no changing that

Some of the remain predictions are already coming true.  Very few of the leave promises are still on the table.    Still a long road ahead either way though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

He can sod off as he doesn't live here any more .. lives on Necker Island in the Caribbean to avoid paying tax.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Have to say all the remain voters I know are now regretting they didn't vote leave. 

;)
    Categorically not true :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah Branson came across as being a bit mental!
    My "portfolio" is already recovering and I've been buying in. People are greedy, they want money - markets will recover / adjust. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

;)
    Categorically not true :).

I just thought I'd say the opposite of what everybody else is saying lol :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited June 2016
    It's just boiling down to the fact that remain voters don't like the answer, they seem to have most sway in the media, and they want to go over the head of democracy and change the result.
    I'm not sure this is true.

The result was 51.9% in favour of leave, the leave campaign have said if it was 52/48 it wouldn't have been over, it's an advisory referendum, there are reports that some people who voted leave are now regretting that decision based on some of the things that were said beforehand (the £350m thing is one thing that people feel cheated on-not saying they have been but there we go), it's certainly appearing as though it was a vote based on a Tory leadership challenge, the PM has resigned because he doesn't want to "be that guy", a huge decision like this is possibly not one to be made based on a 52/48 result.

There's a load of reasons why it needs looking into, it's not sour grapes or going over the head of democracy-this is to be a long and drawn out process that needs discussion with all parties, not a knee jerk reaction to an extremely close vote, both sides of which engaged in some of the worst campaigning tactics I've ever seen. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fretwired said:
     lives on Necker Island in the Caribbean to avoid paying tax.
    He probably enjoys the weather, and the views as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    It's really not that at all. Yes, the majority was voted Leave...but there are A LOT of people who voted leave (some of which I know personally, so not just those stories you see in the Media), who didn't understand the implications of voting leave and are now wishing they'd voted Remain, having found out that a.) we won't be closing our border and immigration isn't going to be changing anytime soon and b.) we never sent £350 million to the EU each week and we won't be using it on the NHS and c.) we won't be "getting our country back" as there was nowhere to actually get it back from in the first place. 

So had these people clearly known what the actual craic was and didn't use the misleading information fed to them, it may well have swayed the other way (and yes, I understand there was misleading information from both sides)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with people wanting to vote leave - but don't suddenly go "oh shit, what they said will happen isn't actually going to happen now?? damn, wish I'd voted remain now", because it's too fucking late and the damage has already been done. It's not democracy if people don't know what they've actually voted for and suddenly wish they could change their mind when they find out that what they voted for isn't actually what they voted for. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    down 8billion on government stake in rbs and lloyds already......

You can't judge the short term economic impact on 2 days.  Markets are one thing but they do generally tend to price in economic outcomes which you are seeing in the value of sterling and some of the stock market.

Wait to see the Foreign Direct Investment numbers when they are next released.    Then let's see how much the imaginary 'sovereignty' is worth to everyone in a year's time.  

I don't normally agree on much with Alastair Campbell but I think he is spot on in this analysis.

What about the folk who voted remain who are relieved with the decision? 
    We simply don't know. 
    What if we vote again and the result is still leave? 
    I agree though - campaign was crap on both sides. 
    Our leaders are pretty bad. 
    They should just get the numbers out even if there are some negative aspects. 
    Unless none of them really knew what was going to happen. In which case, are they fit to lead?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725

Unless none of them really knew what was going to happen. In which case, are they fit to lead?

A lot of truth there, but obviously remain had a better idea of what might happen as it was a no-change scenario ;)

I've got to be honest, I haven't been following this - major overtime at work... 
    What numbers have been proved wrong/right? 

• prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    On a scale of 1 to 10 for dishonesty.

Leave campaign a solid 8/10 for lying.

Remain 3/10 for scaremongering.  

You could argue remain painted a drastic forecast but within the bounds of probability - a great deal of which is likely to come true and some of which has already come to pass.

The Leave campaign have lied and deceived at every turn.  None of the core promises they made have lasted two days.  

And yet the warm glow of nationalism feeds the fevered imagination that it  will all be better now that we 'are in control'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    What about the folk who voted remain who are relieved with the decision? 
    We simply don't know. 
    What if we vote again and the result is still leave? 
    The thing is that the decision to leave is going to be a massive upheaval, not just for us, but the rest of the EU and the world.

To make a change-and one as drastic as this, in most peoples eyes, should be extremely well thought out and not made in haste.

I've not seen any reports of remain people who are now regretful of their decision.

I'm not even arguing for another referendum to be fai, but I can see why it could well be a good idea if as is being reported, that there's a chunk of leave voters who are now regretting that decision because they are now not getting what they thought they were voting for-if that's the case then to not consider a second one would be going against democracy.

We've got two people on here that are regretting their leave vote, I've got three or four on my FB feed that are pissed off about the £350m thing.

Anecdotal I know but that's 6 people out of my unscientific sample of what 3,000 people perhaps? 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    thomasross20;1129827" said:
    What about the folk who voted remain who are relieved with the decision? We simply don't know. What if we vote again and the result is still leave? 
    We didn't "vote leave", we just had a totally inconclusive opinion poll, the result of which was an almost exact split down the middle.

You can't base the future of half a continent on the concept of sneaking a late winner, it's not a bloody football match. It's simple, NOBODY WON.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    prh777 said:
    down 8billion on government stake in rbs and lloyds already......

It's not real money though ... the government hasn't lost £8 billion ... :-)

The markets have climbed 2.5% this morning .. things will return to normal.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom