Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I listened to Leon Bridges album today finally, not sure if I'm a fan. Can see why people like him. Can see a lot of good in his music. Just not sure it's my cuppa. It just needs something to give you a slight nudge in the groin to go "oi, listen, I've got a song to sing" and it doesn't do that. It's like watching The Voice... they're waiting for that wow moment in the blind auditions to make them want to turn their chair and we just didn't quite get the one, the moment.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

This morning I got around to listening to Bon Jovi's "Burning Bridges" album, and it's utter codswallop except "Who Would You Die For?" which I already purchased on iTunes before and liked, because it's dark and mysterious and it sounds like it came from an older era Bon Jovi record and the guitar solo is lush. But aside from that it's a shite album. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Elliot Smith from Oxfordshire to Norfolk and back today:

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    UfOff by the Orb. Best of from the late 90s - plus some newer mixes of their ambient noodlings.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Today's new listening experience was the new album by Blink-182, California.
    Mostly good.
    One or two songs were a bit meh.
    I've not really listened to Blink before. Saw they got it in at the local library so gave it a spin this morning. I'm satisfied. I've got a hold on a copy of the previous album, Neighborhoods, so when that comes in I'll give it a try.

If I like 'em enough I'll buy 'em.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited August 2016
    I was a big Blink fan when they hit the big time back a few years ago, the earlier stuff is definitely more my thing than the later ones. I think I lost interest in them with anything after "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket". I tried California the other day and didn't really like it, it just sounded quite bland and poppy.

If you've not heard these, "Dude Ranch" is probably the best one but "Enema of the State" is the archetypal album. They did a good live CD called "The Mark, Tom and Travis Show" too.

Cool to hear that libraries get CDs in for folk to try! I've not set foot in a public library for... eh... 20-25 years?! (I'm 37)

edited to add - I was recommended +44 (Mark and Travis spin-off band) and Angels and Airwaves (Tom spin-off band) recently and hadn't heard either. Both are decent, if you're liking Blink definitely try these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

andyp said:
    I was a big Blink fan when they hit the big time back a few years ago, the earlier stuff is definitely more my thing than the later ones. I think I lost interest in them with anything after "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket". I tried California the other day and didn't really like it, it just sounded quite bland and poppy.

If you've not heard these, "Dude Ranch" is probably the best one but "Enema of the State" is the archetypal album. They did a good live CD called "The Mark, Tom and Travis Show" too.

Cool to hear that libraries get CDs in for folk to try! I've not set foot in a public library for... eh... 20-25 years?! (I'm 37)

edited to add - I was recommended +44 (Mark and Travis spin-off band) and Angels and Airwaves (Tom spin-off band) recently and hadn't heard either. Both are decent, if you're liking Blink definitely try these.
    Yeah. I live in Australia though so I don't know if the libraries in the UK do it anymore, though, I'm assuming that they did in the past since my copy of Aerosmith's Pandora's Box and Rory Gallagher's Photo Finish album are both purchased from a sale of old library stuff from the local library when I lived in the UK for a while. They sold off what they weren't loaning out regularly anymore. So I paid like 2 quid for the 3 disc box version of Pandora's Box ;) 

But now I'm back in Aus our libraries still get stuff. Surprised they got the new Blink album so fast. They still don't have the new Santana album and that was released in April haha - I had a hold on it but I've given up waiting now. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Deadman said:
    Mission of Burma... a most welcome blast from the past. :)
    Been listening to their first album again quite a lot recently @camf. I love it's simplicity.
    Shabooh Shoobah - INXS. @Skarloey My annual dip back into being 15 again. Very angular and dancey at the same time. It's made me nostalgic for Pot Noodle and 8 bit Atari games. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @mudslide73 ;

Need to get a remastered copy of this. My tape version was dire. 

I'm drunk, can't see my glass...

Don't Change brings a tear to my eye always. 
    Shabooh Shoobah - INXS. @Skarloey My annual dip back into being 15 again. Very angular and dancey at the same time. It's made me nostalgic for Pot Noodle and 8 bit Atari games. :)
    Good old INXS. I watched "Never Tear Us Apart" finally. It's OK. I mean it's all acted so of course it's not going to be amazing but I enjoyed it way more than the abomination that was Jimi: All Is By My Side. 

:) 

For some reason I don't have that many INXS albums. I've got Kick, Switch (the one they did with the singer they got from that reality TV show), Elegantly Wasted (this is a good album), Welcome to Wherever You Are and Full Moon Dirty Hearts. The latter, I'm not sure about. I've listened to them. I like them. But they don't stick with me and make me go back for more. Kick, Switch and Elegantly Wasted do. Also quite enjoy Listen Like Thieves. :) 
    edited August 2016
    @Octahedron @mudslide73 ;;;

The INXS albums I like best in their entirety are Kick, Thieves, The Swing, Shabooh Shoobah.

I like bits of X. Full Moon is when I went off them and thought they were making duff decisions, so I never really liked that BUT the stuff they did at the same time as the Moon sessions, that goes by the name of the Capri re-recordings of some of their very early material, things like In Vain, Barbarian, Just Keep Walking etc, my God that's some of the best stuff I think they put down on tape, and shows how effortlessly they rocked and swung at the same time. They sound like they did them live in the studio. Those Capri tracks are all on the "Deluxe Years' compilation.

I think Stay Young of that lot is just sublime:

Jon Farriss on this shows what a masterful drummer he is. Just imagine playing with that going on behind you! You could take on the whole bloody world!

I'm a fan of the early stuff but I hadn't been aware of those redos - thanks @Skarloey .

I listened to the remastered version of The Swing on Spotify after Shabooh Shoobah yesterday and it's better than I remembered - just very produced with Tim and Kirk's bits left in the car park :)

I might even watch Dogs in Space again ;)

@mudslide73 I'm going to put MaxQ on later...

edited August 2016
    Skarloey said:
    @mudslide73 I'm going to put MaxQ on later...

I've got the 12" of "Sometimes" somewhere - the remix issue with different sleeve. I'll put another pretentious turntable photo on this post if I can find it. @Skarloey  

Edit:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Metheny and Mehldau.....one of Metheny's best solos ever IMO.