2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    Not sure whether it's a culmination of the whole weekend (a lot of DIY as well as yesterday's run), but I am absolutely WIPED at work today. Literally cannot wait for bed! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    26th Aug:  880km + 6km = 886km 
    27th Aug:  886km + 7km = 893km 
    28th Aug:  893km + 6km = 899km 
    29th Aug:  899km + 8km = 907km 

Since we got the dog I've done 87km in 2 weeks.

So my advice to anyone who wants to get fitter is get a high energy dog.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    5 mile new trail recce last night. Getting dark quickly so out with the head torches.

On taper now for race 23rd/24th Sept.  Good 10 weeks of training. Looking forward to dialing it back a tad and getting ready for the race.

1169miles/1881km.

mcsdan said:
    5 mile new trail recce last night. Getting dark quickly so out with the head torches.

On taper now for race 23rd/24th Sept.  Good 10 weeks of training. Looking forward to dialing it back a tad and getting ready for the race.

1169miles/1881km.

Can you (or anyone else) recommend any shoes for trail/field running. Now the weather is getting winter-y. I want to continue running with the dog in the field, but it'll be wetter and muddier...so wondering whether I should be running in something other than standard running shoes?

Lots of trail shoes out there since trail varies more than pavements.

Personally I like Inov8 for shorter runs and Altra for longer stuff. Also use Hoka and have some Saucony trails too.

Trail shoes mostly are neutral and don't have the pronation issues that road shoes have. They also tend to a lower heel-toe drop so wear them in over a few runs to easy any pull on the achilles. Most road shoes are 10-12mm and trails are anywhere from 0-12mm with 4mm and 8mm being typical.

Grip varies too with some similar to road and others very aggressive. The aggressive grip may appear ideal on mud but they tend to pick the mud up and weigh you feet down.

For a recommendation I suggest looking at the Inov8 TerraClaw 250. Very light, good grip on all surfaces and flexible. (Don't go for the 220 since they are a 4mm drop as opposed to 8mm). Can be picked up for around £60 atm and I know lots of my club runners use them, myself included. I've worn them on runs upto 30 miles without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Road shoes are fine during the summer months but once it gets wet and slippery road trainers tend to not have either the grip or lateral support. Hence trails are a must for off road running once autumn sets in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @mcsdan I'll take a look when I'm out and about next. Trouble is I need some new walking shoes/boots as I currently have nothing waterproof for the winter walks, but would also like to keep running in the winter with the dog, so may need to fork out for two pairs of shoes, which is annoying.

30th Aug:  907km + 8km = 915km 
    4.6 miles last night through the woods in the dark and rain (group run). Great fun.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I used to have good results, with more grip than you'd think, with Inov-8 F-lite 230 shoes. It doesn't look like the grip will be all that good, and they're probably better for soft ground as opposed to deep mud.

Obviously I recommend as little drop as possible, since this and overall stack height tend not to make much difference on soft uneven ground. Lower stack height, especially, will aid stability on uneven ground.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    9am 31st Aug:  915km + 5km = 920km 
    6pm 1st Aug: 920km + 5km = 925km.

Yup- we doubled up today.
    I'd like to say that all this running is good for me but I've been eating back the calories I've been exercising away.
    Oh well- at least I am fit.
    Tried tonight and managed a mile before my shins were in too much agony to carry on. Going to rest for a week or so with the Bristol half in 2 and a half weeks. Absolutely gutted 
  • Been too busy/lazy to post every recent run, but I'm ramping up the mileage nicely ahead of the Walchsee 1/2 marathon on the 24th. Ran 16k at the pace I plan to do in the race a couple of days ago (aiming to get under 2 hours). Fitness and stamina seem ok. Boredom is my main problem, but I guess that will not be an issue on the day.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17700
    tFB Trader
    I was targeting 100k for the month, but ended up getting to 98.5 which I suppose is pretty good and if I can continue like that I'll be good for doing the 1000K challenge next year. 

My foot is hurting today which is annoying, but hopefully it will sort itself out as I'm on holiday next week and want to get some good runs in.

414k for the year.
    edited September 2017
    1st Aug: 925km + 7km = 932km.
  • It's LOVELY out there. Get out in the sunshine!*
    My Run https://imgur.com/a/0i3yb

792+ 8+ 7= 807. 

*Sunshine may not be available in all areas. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's LOVELY out there. Get out in the sunshine!*
    My Run https://imgur.com/a/0i3yb

792+ 8+ 7= 807. 

*Sunshine may not be available in all areas. 
    I'd love to, but my shins are stopping me :'-(
    16.1 miles coaching group training for their first ultra marathon end of October.  9.5 off road, remainder on road. Good session.
    =1189miles/1913km.
    3rd Aug: 932km + 7km = 939km.
    first run in a week this morning (after only managing a mile last thursday due to shin pain)...5km, felt ok. Not sure whether it's the rest, new shoes or a combination....shins were achy but didn't hinder me at all, so that's progress. Still going to take it easy until the half marathon next week though.

Once that's over, I'm going to embark on a 5km a day challenge for the whole of October (injuries permitting).