Murphy Labs finish defects

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Anyone who has sprayed single pack lacquer for a duration of time will have come across de-lamination issues. But as we all know, mass manufacturers tend to rush them, spray em thick and charge a bloody fortune for it. 

The lacquer on those guitars looks far too thick. They do this so that the finish survives the cut and buff process. But, in order to get the look they’re going for and meet the demand of sales numbers they’re rushing the process. 

I think there might be a lot of compressed air involved which will speed up the delaminating problems we’re seeing here. It’s also entirely possible that there is a compatibility issue between the filler and sealer. These things happen, but on this scale it can be extremely costly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    terada said:
    tomajoha said:
    @terada ;I am indeed 
    Fingers crossed that will bring it to a close. Got to feel for those that have bought their dream guitar only to either have this happen or be concerned about it.

Let's hope that Gibson do the right thing and officially let people know which serials are potentially effected and then (I suppose with the retailers) give people the choice to refund or refinish.

A premium product should really have premium after sales when something goes this wrong :s :

Looks like a bad refin from the 70`s.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    TrentGuitars said:

Are you referring to the look of the surface finish?
    No, what looks like a thick matt brown layer completely covering the wood.
    I presume that’s just the tinted grain filler or a colour tint from the lacquer?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    TrentGuitars said:

I presume that’s just the tinted grain filler or a colour tint from the lacquer?
    Raw mahogany end grain?
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    TrentGuitars said:

Raw mahogany end grain?
    Looks to be - can’t see anything overly alarming 
  • terada said:
    tomajoha said:
    @terada ;I am indeed 
    Fingers crossed that will bring it to a close. Got to feel for those that have bought their dream guitar only to either have this happen or be concerned about it.

Let's hope that Gibson do the right thing and officially let people know which serials are potentially effected and then (I suppose with the retailers) give people the choice to refund or refinish.

A premium product should really have premium after sales when something goes this wrong :s :

Why is the wood poo brown? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1294
    terada said:
    tomajoha said:
    @terada ;I am indeed 

Why is the wood poo brown? 
    Might be just the log it came from ..,
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    edited June 2021
    Man wanted by police bears uncanny resemblance to Beaker from The Muppets -  Mirror Online
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited June 2021
    I think we need an "ouch" button
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9316
    What amazes me still is that people are still prepared to pay 5-11k for a Gibson. You know there’s a high chance you’ll get one poorly built, sloppily finished etc and for all the lengths they go to, the pickups are muddy and woolly and sound nothing like a great vintage example.
    For less than half the top end price, Patrick Eggle, for example, can make you a Macon which fixes some of the Les Paul flaws and is perfectly built or for top end, you’re in PRS Private Stock 594 realm which will have showier woods and build quality that Gibson can only dream of. If you want something closer to the original and way cheaper, I’ll stick my Eastman up against any Gibson and that cost £1750.
    It might be harsh, but if after all this time you’re dumb enough to buy something because it says “Gibson” on the headstock, it’s your own fault.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Perhaps this phenomenon was intentional, going for a Rory/SRV look.
  • chris78 said:
    What amazes me still is that people are still prepared to pay 5-11k for a Gibson. You know there’s a high chance you’ll get one poorly built, sloppily finished etc and for all the lengths they go to, the pickups are muddy and woolly and sound nothing like a great vintage example.
    For less than half the top end price, Patrick Eggle, for example, can make you a Macon which fixes some of the Les Paul flaws and is perfectly built or for top end, you’re in PRS Private Stock 594 realm which will have showier woods and build quality that Gibson can only dream of. If you want something closer to the original and way cheaper, I’ll stick my Eastman up against any Gibson and that cost £1750.
    It might be harsh, but if after all this time you’re dumb enough to buy something because it says “Gibson” on the headstock, it’s your own fault.
    I’m as happy to stick the boot into Gibson for this as anyone, however I’ve not found the custombuckers muddy or woolly. I don’t go in expecting them to have the clarity of a single coil and I’ve no objection to installing 50s wiring if not present, setting the controls at different points and adjusting pickup height (my R9 wanted neck pickup lowering and pole pieces then raising).

I’ve not found a single guitar yet where I just want to roll everything up to 10 and feel like I’m good moving between the different pickups, it’s not exclusively Gibson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    mbe said:
    Perhaps this phenomenon was intentional, going for a Rory/SRV look.
    What, it’s going to eventually melt into a Strat?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    chris78 said:
    Absolutely totally disagree. I’ve got a es335 Custom shop and a Junior Custom shop and they’re superb guitars. I’ve had many PRS’s including DGT Custom 24 and an SC 58. Yes the build quality might be better on the PRS guitars but much prefer my Gibson’s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited June 2021
    Agree with markj . I am not sure why it is, but I find that Gibson style guitars made by other manufactures are never quite there, and I mean that right from lower priced (Eastman et al), right up to top end. I have had numerous Collings versions of LP, ES, Jr etc., but always missing something to me. My current 59 reissue 335 is in a different league to those guitars entirely. Maybe it's the terrible build quality and poor tolerances, but whatever it is, I want and need it. 

On the other hand, I can think of many many many Fender style guitar copies, that give me the exact feel, tone etc. that I expect, and don't feel like I am missing out on anything at all.

Having said all that, this whole finish thing is appalling, and really embarrassing for Gibson. I wouldn't want it fixed, I would just want my money back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Also same boat, I love my 2 Gibson CS. I can point a few quibbles on each. But I wouldn’t trade either for a more perfectly finished model that didn’t sound and feel the same.

This finishing issue is completely different ballpark though. When it’s the one big new thing they had to get it right. It really is embarrassing and for what’s supposed to be their top of the shop doubly so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Also same boat, I love my 2 Gibson CS. I can point a few quibbles on each. But I wouldn’t trade either for a more perfectly finished model that didn’t sound and feel the same.
    In my experience, when Gibsons are good they're really good. You need to kiss some frogs, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited June 2021
    They’re going to have to kill the Murphy lab after this. There’re no marketing tricks that will overcome this total disaster and leave the Murphy lab brand seen to be the best gibson has to offer.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    There are still a fair few Murphy Lab guitars listed on UK dealers websites. I pity someone that buys one of these with potential problems without any warning as they have not read about the problem on the various forums where it's being discussed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    I don't know if this will be the end of the Murphy Lab or not, but it's enough to put me off buying one for the foreseeable future. 

Not that I was considering it anyway, they cost too much and I haven't liked the look of any of those I've seen (in pictures) except perhaps some of the ultra light aged ones.  Had there been something particularly amazing (perhaps a '64 SG in a nice colour and without a vibrola) then I might have been tempted to part with the cash.

But the thought that the paint could all fall off is the last nail in the coffin.