Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Don’t know whether to be elated or upset....one thing for sure, it’s been emotional!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    @welshboyo it took them six months
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10350
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    Emp_Fab said:

I am going now - for a drive in my Honda Civic.
    And after all that, I thought you wanted an interesting car!

You've bought probably the most boringest of boringest cars ever made.

Although boringly, it will never break down and leave you stranded somewhere with an interesting story of survival against the odds to tell either, so there is at least one upside...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11979
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Although boringly, it will never break down and leave you stranded somewhere with an interesting story of survival against the odds to tell either, so there is at least one upside...
    He is planning to use this boring car to find his dream Veloster.   There is logic somewhere in the madness...
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    This thread is meaningless without pics.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

He is planning to use this boring car to find his dream Veloster.   There is logic somewhere in the madness...
    He may have had a narrow escape.  I saw an Audi in that green colour (or something very similar) the other day.  Driver was a complete nutter.  That suggests that it is a colour that appeals to nutters, and the car would have been thrashed to death - alternatively, it could just be an Audi thing.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27378
    Congrats Emp! 

Now who’s going to buy that silver MX5??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Congrats Emp! 

If I sell my Bitcoin now i make £7.

£2493 to go.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7600
    Congrats Emp! 

£2493 to go.
    Back when 1BC was about 3k people were.orediciting the current price (10k) and many thought them  crazy - we are there now but even those saying we'd get here said this was the top for some time 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited August 2019
    TimmyO said:
    Congrats Emp! 

£2493 to go.
    Back when 1BC was about 3k people were.orediciting the current price (10k) and many thought them  crazy - we are there now but even those saying we'd get here said this was the top for some time 
    I am going to utilise the volatility of BTC against it to try and make some beer money.  It often have this 10%-20% swing, rather regularly so I am pretty much playing that rollercoaster.

i started with £60, its now worth £67.  Will probably sell today (NYSE opens in 90 mins).  It will take a while but if I can make 10% gain about once a week...compound gain, it soon adds up.  

If I lose it all, I am only losing £60.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24521
    Ok, I’m two days in and I am beginning to adjust to the car. My first impressions are that it’s a lot quicker than I was expecting!  It’s quite fun listening to the turbo spin up and feel it charging forward as the boost kicks I.  The clutch is irritating me but I’m going to start by bleeding it.  See if that helps.  The ride is on the uncomfortable side of firm, but the handling is great.  Not a lot of feedback on the wheel and it’s very sensitive but it chucks nicely around corners.

I’m having a spot of bother finding a comfortable seating position.  I may have been optimistic about the seats earlier.

It sure is an industrial lump under the bonnet...  it sounds like a Transit van at the lights, but the power curve is magnificent...  from idle to red line it just keeps pulling.

Overall it feels a tad heavy for its size.  The dashboard arrangement is pretty poor though.  Looks pretty with the two-tier thing going on but all the warning lights are obscured by the top of the steering wheel.  Even after adjusting the wheel and the seat, it’s still obscured.  Great if you’re five foot two, but rubbish for anyone taller.

There’s a slight rubbing sound on clockwise roundabouts but this is drowned out by the screaming and the horns when I go the other way.

Further reviews to follow....
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    That 2.2 is a heavy old lump and the later 1.6 diesels are noticeably lighter - trade off being you haven’t got the grunt that 2.2 produces, it really does pull well all the way to red line.

Did they sort Air Con?
    Yes.  So far, so cold.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2944
    A happy ending then.  Is Mrs Emp pleased.  

oh and pictures please.   We have waiting a long time for this

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Apparently Civics are very good dogging cars
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3400
    Apparently Civics are very good dogging cars
    This. Thread. Does. Not. Need. Pics.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5576
    edited August 2019
    Congrats, Emp! You need a private plate now to really stand out. To save you the bother - and us another 78 pages - I've ordered you one already in honour of a previous procrastination as it does seem to be your M.O.

https://i.imgur.com/rdtVPJx.jpg

*I do realise that some may read this another way!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @PC_Dave Lol awarded
    Thanks @DiscoStu :lol: 

After more driving in the car, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not really what I'm after.  It'll do for the moment - and will be a godsend in looking for something else, but I can't see me getting on with it.  I've tried every combination of seat height, rake, distance, steering wheel position - and I just can't get comfy in it.  Besides that, it just feels like I'm sat in a velour low-slung buggy seat behind a huge Massey-Ferguson tractor engine.  It sounds like it too!  This 2.2L Diesel lump is not what you would call refined......  more like something borrowed from a British Rail shunter or used to keep the lights on in Bongandanga to keep the lions away at night.

Not making this up but the whistle from the turbo reminds me of the Swansea to Paddington 125 pulling out of the station !