Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I never believed that diesel was the correct solution for you.  What you looking for now then Emp.....a Veloster ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24559
    Nah... I've kind of gone off them now.  The front is alright but the arse is just fugly.  Plus, I'm no fan of Hyundai now - unless they respond favourably to my complaint.  I don't have a clue what I'm after now.  Whatever it is, it's got to be lighter than the Japanese tank I'm in now.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    Budget ?  I'll keep an eye open.  I know my cars and I'm quite local to you.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2944
    Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks @DiscoStu :lol: 

After more driving in the car, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not really what I'm after.  It'll do for the moment - and will be a godsend in looking for something else, but I can't see me getting on with it.  I've tried every combination of seat height, rake, distance, steering wheel position - and I just can't get comfy in it.  Besides that, it just feels like I'm sat in a velour low-slung buggy seat behind a huge Massey-Ferguson tractor engine.  It sounds like it too!  This 2.2L Diesel lump is not what you would call refined......  more like something borrowed from a British Rail shunter or used to keep the lights on in Bongandanga to keep the lions away at night.

Not making this up but the whistle from the turbo reminds me of the Swansea to Paddington 125 pulling out of the station !
    Darn!  My estimate of 6 months was out by a massive factor.   The boy lasted 24 hours.   

The train keeps rolling..

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1828
    Emp_Fab said:
      I don't have a clue what I'm after now.  
    I think its safe to say we all worked this out on page 1...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    Emp_Fab said:

After more driving in the car, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not really what I'm after.  It'll do for the moment - and will be a godsend in looking for something else, but I can't see me getting on with it.  I've tried every combination of seat height, rake, distance, steering wheel position - and I just can't get comfy in it.  Besides that, it just feels like I'm sat in a velour low-slung buggy seat behind a huge Massey-Ferguson tractor engine.  It sounds like it too!  This 2.2L Diesel lump is not what you would call refined......  more like something borrowed from a British Rail shunter or used to keep the lights on in Bongandanga to keep the lions away at night.

Not making this up but the whistle from the turbo reminds me of the Swansea to Paddington 125 pulling out of the station !
    Darn!  My estimate of 6 months was out by a massive factor.   The boy lasted 24 hours.   

The train keeps rolling..
    "Lunatic realises old banger isn't 'Rolls Royce comfortable' shocker" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27801
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't have a clue what I'm after now.  
    Start a thread asking for suggestions?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12003
    edited August 2019
    MX-5.

keep both cars. One for work, one for fun.

you still have about £2k left over after getting that MX-5.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Emp_Fab said:

Here's a radical suggestion. Maybe test drive a variety of cars rather than trying to buy over the internet base on spec, country of manufacture, glove box spec? Nah forget it, what craziness I speak....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487
    Or just accept that you can't have any fun on the roads these days.  Just keep the Honda and spend the extra money on a Custom Shop Les Paul / Masterbuilt Custom Shop Fender, or whatever else floats your boat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    edited August 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

I don't have a clue what I'm after now.  Whatever it is, it's got to be lighter than the Japanese tank I'm in now.
    One of these? Lightweight, comfortable, fun to drive, also comes in green.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I don't have a clue what I'm after now.  Whatever it is, it's got to be lighter than the Japanese tank I'm in now.

And easy to fix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

And easy to fix
    And you could carry a box of eggs over a welsh mountain field
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16304
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

And easy to fix
    And you could carry a box of eggs over a welsh mountain field

You see a lot of 2CV rallies across France in the summer so nice social aspect too. On HubNut ( youtube) he's just driven a 2CV to Croatia and back, I haven't watched it yet but he does seem to have completed the journey in some way. But certainly an ideal car if Emp wanted to get his bag of spanners out. I had a landlord who had a 2CV and he could service his with pretty much just the tools he used for his pushbike ( he was a very keen cyclist). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary said:

You see a lot of 2CV rallies across France in the summer so nice social aspect too. On HubNut ( youtube) he's just driven a 2CV to Croatia and back, I haven't watched it yet but he does seem to have completed the journey in some way. But certainly an ideal car if Emp wanted to get his bag of spanners out. I had a landlord who had a 2CV and he could service his with pretty much just the tools he used for his pushbike ( he was a very keen cyclist). 
    I was in Croatia last week and we saw quite a few of them - both obviously restored foreign ones on holiday/rally and a couple of older local-looking ones.

I had three of them - technically one was a Dyane, but that's really just an estate-bodied version of it. They were pretty easy to maintain - although to be fair, like all old cars this goes along with *needing* to quite a lot, compared to modern cars. They also do have fairly severe limitations as daily transport, to be strictly honest - not just the lack of performance and refinement, the main reason I gave mine up was that we had kids, and they're just not big or safe enough to put proper modern child seats into.

They also use perverse spanner sizes :) - mostly the odd-number M threads, especially M5 and M7, with similarly odd-number socket sizes. Not a problem if you've got a full set of course... just a bit strange!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16304
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I was in Croatia last week and we saw quite a few of them - both obviously restored foreign ones on holiday/rally and a couple of older local-looking ones.

I had three of them - technically one was a Dyane, but that's really just an estate-bodied version of it. They were pretty easy to maintain - although to be fair, like all old cars this goes along with *needing* to quite a lot, compared to modern cars. They also do have fairly severe limitations as daily transport, to be strictly honest - not just the lack of performance and refinement, the main reason I gave mine up was that we had kids, and they're just not big or safe enough to put proper modern child seats into.

They also use perverse spanner sizes :) - mostly the odd-number M threads, especially M5 and M7, with similarly odd-number socket sizes. Not a problem if you've got a full set of course... just a bit strange!
    My landlord worked from home doing software for traffic management systems from his house in the Shropshire countryside and probably only used the car once or twice per week, I have a memory of it being fairly uncomfortable but he didn't have to use it for a daily commute. My current commute includes over 20 miles of the M5 each way and that would probably be a bit scary in a 2CV. 
    When I was a teenager our next door neighbour drove a Renault R5 which is sort of an overgrown toy and he would give me a lift to college sometimes. Even compared to that the 2CV seemed basic, I have a vague memory that you could unbolt any of the seats in about two minutes if you wanted extra cargo load.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary said:

Even compared to that the 2CV seemed basic, I have a vague memory that you could unbolt any of the seats in about two minutes if you wanted extra cargo load.
    You can get *all* of them out in two minutes :) - they're literally just held in by door-bolt-type catches.

Yes, the 2CV is very basic - it was designed in 1948 (arguably even earlier than that, although the pre-war prototypes are actually fairly different from the production series) and only slightly updated until the early 70s with a slightly larger engine and better brakes, then made unchanged until 1990. So although it was actually a very advanced design for 1948, it's really very primitive now.

If you're used to the sort of crash protection you get in a modern car, they're terrifyingly unsafe - they're so narrow that your shoulder touches the door at all times, and all that's between you and the outside world is a single hollow pressing made of steel not much thicker than a beer can. Motorcyle protection levels, basically.

My last modern car (Renault Grand Scenic, 5-star NCAP rating) was written off when someone drove into the side of it, and my daughter was sitting on the side that was hit - she was completely unhurt, and there wasn't even any intrusion into the cabin. If we'd been in my old 2CV I'm certain she would have been injured, possibly seriously.

I do still love them, but I wouldn't want one as a daily transport any more.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27801
    crunchman said:
      Just keep the Honda and spend the extra money on a Custom Shop Les Paul / Masterbuilt Custom Shop Fender, or whatever else floats your boat.
    Please, don't mention the boat.

As far as I know, it's still buried , stern deep, in the estuary mud.

(That was another of Emp's epic threads.)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    The 2CV is the strangest car I've ever driven but probably the most fun. Couldn't get on with the gear change, it's basically a bent piece of metal yanking on another bit of metal  ...there's an art to it that I don't pocess

Emp have you though about hiring a car to see what it's like first ? in Portsmouth you can hire a car for 3 days for about £80 

Might be easier to hire one to see what it's like comfort wise before you buy one 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12003
    Car hire is an idea but unfortunately, I don’t think the kind of cars he is looking to buy will be available for hire.  As in that he is looking at the bottom end of the market, meaning they are all older, last generation or 2 generations behind.  Car rentals almost always have the current models for hire, unless you are talking about classic cars.