Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Wouldn't fancy owning a dual clutch auto out of warranty. One of the reasons i bought a mazda and then my current honda is they're old skool slusher autos. 

That said anything can go wrong with any car, don't worry about it and just drive it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    I have a Golf with DSG and had a rental BMW with dual clutch last year. They're brilliant. Reliability is getting good now as they've been around for 10+ years and they're *so* much nicer (and more efficient) than a slush auto. 

Brits seem to have a bit of an obsession with trad manuals, but honestly the latest dual-clutch stuff is really really good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    All modern cars are reliable, compared to all old cars less expensive than a Rolls-Royce, basically. You can be unlucky with any brand, even the supposedly reliable ones, but it really does come down to just luck. I’ve owned four Renaults - including two Grand Scenics - which seem to be top of the list for being notoriously troublesome, never had a serious problem with any of them, and very few minor ones. I don’t doubt that the odd one is a total dog... but the same is true of all brands.

Just buy the green Veloster and only worry about reports of problems with the auto box in the unlikely event it actually happens. The most important thing is that your wife likes it :). Or at least is saying so just so that this can all be over ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875

p90fool said:
    If the Velostar is off the table......now what car?

lol back to square zero...
    You're just a stirrer.....let him get on with it.
    I can’t stir anything if he can’t read it.

he isn’t reacting to me....this is all him.  

Sure, blame me for him changing his mind, read back what I’ve posted in the last 48hrs in this thread which is bugger all since he put his deposit down.  You guys just don’t like the truth. If you want to help him get a car, you need to get him over this indecision problem.  His problem isn’t finding a car, the car isn’t the problem, the problem is in his head.  If he can’t mentally get over that hurdle, no amount of car suggestion or hand holding is going to help.

he needs to accept there is no perfect car.  The sooner he can accept that, the sooner he will get a car.  End of story.

call it bullying or insulting him but that is true and you’ve seen it for 3 and a half months and you know it too.
    The problem is in YOUR head. 

I've never seen anyone get so upset by a semi-serious, fun thread about a trivial purchasing decision. 

We've all been dipping in, chatting about cars we like, mildly taking the piss out of Emp, and generally gassing about nowt, while you're bouncing up and down in the corner like Yosemite Sam, trying to provoke a fight only you want. 

You'll make yourself ill. 

May be he is trolling again with the gear box failure since he was very confident not so long ago.

Either he was trolling then or he is trolling now.

Or you can blame me for that too!

Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cars are pretty much basic contraptions with the addition of a few computers.  
    That statement was true in the early to mid 80s.

It is way off the mark with pretty much anything built in the last 15 yrs. 
    For you maybe.  Not for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    I have a Golf with DSG and had a rental BMW with dual clutch last year. They're brilliant. Reliability is getting good now as they've been around for 10+ years and they're *so* much nicer (and more efficient) than a slush auto. 

Brits seem to have a bit of an obsession with trad manuals, but honestly the latest dual-clutch stuff is really really good. 
    Agree that if buying new /nearly new dual clutch is the way to go.
    Not sure I'd rush out and buy a 5+ yr old one with >70k which is what this thread is about.

Agree that if buying new /nearly new dual clutch is the way to go.
    Not sure I'd rush out and buy a 5+ yr old one with >70k which is what this thread is about.
    This is where the car's condition is *everything*. If it's obviously been looked after really well it's also likely to have been driven more carefully.

What seems to kill dual-clutch boxes isn't necessarily high mileage, but driving them too hard, using sport mode and/or revving it hard from cold, manually holding it in lower gears for long periods, etc etc. 

(Does the Veloster have a sport mode?) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27483
    I’d want to have actually driven the thing.

Worrying about reliability is one aspect, but dual clutch gearboxes vary hugely in their “feel” and how they affect your driving experience (for better or for worse).

The DSG system I had in my old TT was excellent in that it was almost invisible, could be switched between different modes, and also had a full manual option through the gear lever or the paddles on the steering wheel.  I’d not hesitate to recommend that.  But not all dual clutch auto systems are created equal ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    TTony said:

Radical 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TTony said:

Radical 
    Far too sensible.
    TimmyO said:
    TTony said:

Radical 
    This thing? Don’t give him ideas...!!

edited July 2019
    Test driving cars is for wimps.  ;)
    edited July 2019
    TimmyO said:
    TTony said:

Radical 
    This thing? Don’t give him ideas...!!

I know someone who has one of those as his track toy.

He's been through about a dozen cars in the last year or 2 from Porsche 911 to Aston Martin to BMW M1 to McLaren (3 of them), made a killing on bitcoin.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've learned that it's not a traditional style auto (torque converter) but a dual-clutch automatic 'manual' box with paddle shifters.

Does anyone here drive a DCT / DSG / Whatever your manufacturer calls it ?

I think I would have preferred an older-style torque converter box as there are questions surrounding the longer term reliability of dual-clutch autos.
    A DSG/DCT and an automated manual aren't the same thing (automated manuals are largely obsolete now and were generally horrible things)

The Veloster uses a DCT/DSG.
    Given that it's not very powerful I'd imagine they've used a dry rather than wet model.
    Essentially, if you drive them hard for many miles, yes they can give problems. Otherwise they are fine. A DSG is more complicated than a manual gearbox so yes you could argue that it could be less reliable. 

Provided there's no issues with gear "sticking" (indicating a problem with the selector mechanism which is generally an expensive fix) I wouldn't be unduly concerned
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Emp_Fab said:
    No.  I haven't.  All I know is that it's got one and that Hyundai revised the design to a seven speed version for the later models.  Which may or may not indicate it needed improving.
    7 speed is usually to get a better official MPG figure/lower CO2 bracket.

Everything always needs improving. Having driven a Mk5, 6, 7 and 7.5 Golf I can tell you they got better with each generation. I'm not going to hold off buying one until the Mk 10 comes out in 8 years on account of that though.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    edited July 2019
    I am excited by the latest developments, however, call me cynical....

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    @Emp_Fab. ; And?.......
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Either this is the silence before the big reveal or the whole thing is off... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I can't help but feel we are giving oxygen to disturbed attention seeker.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Its a long way from Wales to Cornwall, perhaps hes walking.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I'm sure I mentioned the fact that it won't be ready for another week?

Basically, I've insisted on new discs all round as they were flagged as advisories on the most recent MOT and a slight imbalance in the front brakes being resolved (though that's most likely due to worn discs anyway).  The dealer is also putting it through the body shop to get a few tiny marks sorted.

All being well, I will be picking it up on Monday 29th.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom