Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Emp_Fab said:

But in all seriousness.... I am genuinely panicking a bit !  I'm seriously wondering if I really want to be driving around in a lime green weird looking thing !
    You did yesterday. That's good enough reason to buy it.

Look at it this way: in a year's time, having been getting the bus and train everywhere for the last 12 months because you couldn't make your mind up on your new car's colour, you're going to feel pretty damn stupid no matter which way you cut it.

On the other hand, if you buy it and discover you really can't live with it, you can just sell it again without losing much (probably less than it'd cost to get a hire car or pay for public transport while you've got it).

I feel like the most important point that you're missing is that buying a car is not a decision that you have to live with forever more, and you can change your mind at any point and get something else instead.
    That was also the idea of the temporary car too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Emp_Fab said:

But in all seriousness.... I am genuinely panicking a bit !  I'm seriously wondering if I really want to be driving around in a lime green weird looking thing !

On the other hand, if you buy it and discover you really can't live with it, you can just sell it again without losing much (probably less than it'd cost to get a hire car or pay for public transport while you've got it).
    If he was buying it privately I'd agree with this, however if its approved used he'll lose a fair whack. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    celentium said:
    Emp_Fab said:

If he was buying it privately I'd agree with this, however if its approved used he'll lose a fair whack. 
    There’s also the slight problem of who the hell else would want to buy a luminous green car with weird doors. :)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    boogieman said:
    celentium said:
    Emp_Fab said:

There’s also the slight problem of who the hell else would want to buy a luminous green car with weird doors. :)  
    I said that months ago...

The fact that when he found a green one and yet still did a poll on the yellow shows what he really wants is the yellow one.  The yellow keep coming up.

he wants the yellow.

he can’t see this, both this post and how his own mind is working.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's a bit difficult to test-drive a car that's in Cornwall when I'm in Wales.  It's highly unlikely to be defective in the way it drives compared with any other identical model.  So, it just boils down to "Will I personally be happy with the comfort, handling and performance of a Hyundai Veloster Sport?".   Either I will or I won't.  Given that that question has been of no importance to me for the past twenty years, because I've been given company cars that I had to drive, and had to adjust to no matter what, I'm not particularly concerned.  If anything, I'm in a better position as at least this time, I read and watched all the reviews of the car before deciding to get one.  The only criticism I've read about the handling etc is that the ride is a bit firm.  I trust that the millions of Veloster owners worldwide would have piped up if it drove like a Reliant Robin with leaky shocks, not to mention to professional car reviewers, but nothing like that has surfaced in my research.

Worst-case scenario is that I absolutely can't stand it, I sell it and chalk it down to experience.
    The test drive isnt really to find faults, the car is a bit too new for that. It's about making sure you actually want that model, iiwy I'd find the nearest one and just go and sit in it / drive it to make sure before buying one blind from anothet corner of the country. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    You stop caring about the colour if the car is good. You barely see it from the inside - only in the door mirrors, just.

Trust me on this - I drive a metallic shit-brown Renault :).

You’ll never lose anything that green in a car park either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    boogieman said:
    celentium said:.
    Loads of people!

The Veloster in green was a really popular car when new.  Hyundai couldn't make enough of them to meet demand and there was a waiting list of ~12mths. 

That's why there are so many around used now.  

Oh.  Hang on.

Just re-read the  report - apparently the 12mth waiting list was for a buyer.  The poor car sat in the showroom for 12mths waiting for a buyer.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    edited July 2019
    TTony said:

Have you said to the nice salesman "I'll buy it"? - Yes.
    Have you given him some form of payment?   - Yes, £500 deposit.
    Is the V5 in your sticky palms, or in its way to you? - No, because I haven't paid the balance yet.
    Have you paid for insurance cover on it? - No, because the car is having new discs & tyres fitted and a couple of minor body marks sorted and won't be ready for a week or so.
    Has your wife stopped laughing yet?  (about the car) - When I told her I had picked this one, she fist-pumped and exclaimed "YESSSS!" because she likes it.
    Have you driven it?  - No, it's in Cornwall.  ....and I haven't driven any Veloster either.

Or  ... are we in for another few weeks of "have I done the right thing (even though I've not actually done anything" posts?? - No, you're in for another two weeks of "have I done the right thing (even though I am buying the car)?" 

OK, forget the "have you driven it" question. - Too late.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    What I'd like to do once I get it is to fit some chrome wing mirror covers and install some variable-colour LED mood lighting in the cabin.  I don't think I could put underbody lights on it.... that's just a touch too far.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    I hope for my sanity and the hopeful upcoming death of this thread that the £500 deposit is non refundable!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    That was also the idea of the temporary car too!
    Kinda my point - all cars are temporary, really. OK, so I go through them quicker than most (three cars in the two years I've been driving), but that's because I get bored easily.
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    Emp_Fab said:
    TTony said:

OK - in that case - CONGRATULATIONS Mr E Fab.

Hope the drive is as entertaining as this thread has been.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    Emp_Fab said:
    Has your wife stopped laughing yet?  (about the car) - When I told her I had picked this one, she fist-pumped and exclaimed "YESSSS!" because she likes it.

Sounds to me like we're going to be right back here in a couple of weeks, because she'll have claimed the car ;)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Well done EmpyFabs. I never doubted you. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Congratulations Emp. I hope it works out for you. Great thread.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    TTony said:

OK - in that case - CONGRATULATIONS Mr E Fab.

Hope the drive is as entertaining as this thread has been.
    :)
    Unless someone has swapped out the engine for a 2JZ and fitted a nitrous system that delivers the nitrous to the driver, that's highly unlikely
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    It would be VERY BAD FORM to phone the garage and gazzump this sale 
    Red ones are better. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    YAAAAAAAY!!

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    No way mate... surely there is an unexpected calamity coming in order to save this thread...
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    Really pleased you got the car you wanted....but what does it smell like.  Better start stocking up

Image result for car air freshener