Live David Gilmour Auction

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30945

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway, woke up this morning and really wish I'd hadn't stopped bidding at $3.2m.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gassage said:
    Arise Sir David.

In a way, I am glad it's not gone to some person that wanted it purely as an investment. Jim Irsay is a fruitloop but a genuine fan too.
    Didn't know that's who bought it.

A Russell Brand documentary about Jack Kerouac's On the Road has him in it as he owns the original manuscript.

Most rich people couldn't impress me at all with their possessions (flash cars, jewels etc.) but this guy definitely could, he seems to make the kind of big purchases I would if I had the money.

Wonder if he has any other memorabilia of things I love.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What a great man David Gilmour is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Irsay already gone on record as saying it'll be used and loaned for events and performances. Good of him- exactly what any of us would do.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gassage said:
    Irsay already gone on record as saying it'll be used and loaned for events and performances. Good of him- exactly what any of us would do.
    Almost makes me want to support his team; if only the sport wasn't so awful lol
    thegummy said:
    Gassage said:
    Arise Sir David.

In a way, I am glad it's not gone to some person that wanted it purely as an investment. Jim Irsay is a fruitloop but a genuine fan too.
    Didn't know that's who bought it.

A Russell Brand documentary about Jack Kerouac's On the Road has him in it as he owns the original manuscript.

Most rich people couldn't impress me at all with their possessions (flash cars, jewels etc.) but this guy definitely could, he seems to make the kind of big purchases I would if I had the money.

Wonder if he has any other memorabilia of things I love.
    He has the Garcia guitar

You gotta hope they don't ship them via FedEx.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Not to be outdone, Sotheby's are currently organizing the Harry Seven Collection auction. "The Gilmour thing won'r be anything on this," said a Sotheby's spokesperson, between snorts of cocaine.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    How the actual fuck can a Washburn sell for 35k and my absolute favourite Strat of all time sell for a (comparatively) measly 500k?!

Somewhat inversely, how can it sell for so low when the black one went for that world record price tag? Which is amazing btw. 

I'm gutted about the red Strat, like genuinely disappointed that he doesn't own it any more. 
    EMG pickups mate, nobody wants ‘em. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11969
    Whitecat said:
    How the actual fuck can a Washburn sell for 35k and my absolute favourite Strat of all time sell for a (comparatively) measly 500k?!

Somewhat inversely, how can it sell for so low when the black one went for that world record price tag? Which is amazing btw. 

I'm gutted about the red Strat, like genuinely disappointed that he doesn't own it any more. 
    EMG pickups mate, nobody wants ‘em. ;)
    yeah, because they're sterile ;-)
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    I'm glad there was the opportunity to see a lot of these guitars close up - all the principal ones - at the fabulous V&A exhibition a year or two ago. The chance won't arise again.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    GuyR said:
    I'm glad there was the opportunity to see a lot of these guitars close up - all the principal ones - at the fabulous V&A exhibition a year or two ago. The chance won't arise again.
    I went too - looking at the Red Strat with my nose pressed against the glass was a real thrill. 
    GuyR said:
    I went too - looking at the Red Strat with my nose pressed against the glass was a real thrill. 

You won't have been the first to have looked at that guitar with your nose pressed against glass.....

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    TheMarlin said:
    Kudos. It was a brave and amazing thing to do. 
    Kudos indeed, but could you explain the bravery aspect?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Sorry I had to drop off, but got to watch the Black Strat.

My overall impression is that there was certainly some auction fever going on, I agree I think the Red Strat went relatively cheaply in context, as did possibly the Wall Les Paul.

But many other things went for very hard to understand money, I'm thinking especially the spare guitars which simply travelled on tour and were likely rarely/never used (great post from SevenDecades citing some of them and saying they'll never feel they overpaid for a guitar again!) and especially that case - which is just madness, it's just a normal road case - he's likely never even touched it!

But well done to DG, that's a lot of money for charity - and not the first time he's done a big gesture
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    So ruddy bloody brave...
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    The problem now is that your missus will be tapping her foot wondering why you're not cashing in on YOUR guitar collection.

Esp if she want's a new kitchen.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    Gassage said:
    GuyR said:

You won't have been the first to have looked at that guitar with your nose pressed against glass.....
    http://i.imgur.com/rbYC7cf.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/E8CnIOn.jpg

You really did get a close look!!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404
    Here we go ...

Wow ...

$3,300,000

just, wow.

F**k me. I hope the successful bidder got a set of strings and a strap thrown in with that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom